Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Ouch, And No Way

I bought a RX300 ona 51 plate last week.

Only 1 key with it, I go to my local Lexus, and ask about a new key, £247.00 I am told, I nearly pass out with the shock.

Then the guy takes the key to parts dept. returns and says sorry made a mistake with the price, aha me thinks I am not buying

the solid gold one after all.

It will be £2750.00

I look about for the cameras, its got to be a joke, but no the guy is serious. Apparently I only have the 2 button key and can

only get a new one if I had the 3 button key, as I dont have the said 3 button key I will need a new unit which means dash has

to be dismantled 5 hours labour included in the £2750.00 price.

My question is this, can I get a Thatcham approved alarm fitted to replace Lexus Factory fit?

This will give me two alarm fobs and then I can just get a key cut for ignition.

Thats the way I see it, but can you kind folks advise me as to if this can be done

or am I screwed and need to deal with Lexus?

I am in talks with the dealer where I bought the car, he is trying to trace the previous owner, but I need to work out a plan of

action.

Thanks

Chris

I bought a RX300 ona 51 plate last week.

Only 1 key with it, I go to my local Lexus, and ask about a new key, £247.00 I am told, I nearly pass out with the shock.

Then the guy takes the key to parts dept. returns and says sorry made a mistake with the price, aha me thinks I am not buying

the solid gold one after all.

It will be £2750.00

I look about for the cameras, its got to be a joke, but no the guy is serious. Apparently I only have the 2 button key and can

only get a new one if I had the 3 button key, as I dont have the said 3 button key I will need a new unit which means dash has

to be dismantled 5 hours labour included in the £2750.00 price.

My question is this, can I get a Thatcham approved alarm fitted to replace Lexus Factory fit?

This will give me two alarm fobs and then I can just get a key cut for ignition.

Thats the way I see it, but can you kind folks advise me as to if this can be done

or am I screwed and need to deal with Lexus?

I am in talks with the dealer where I bought the car, he is trying to trace the previous owner, but I need to work out a plan of

action.

Thanks

Chris

Chris

This is correct, if you don't have a master key you cannot put your car into "programme" mode to programme in another key, you have to replace the vehicles ecu with a new one with new key, hence the price. There are locksmiths around who can reprogramme the old ecu but this still costs around £1000

You have a good case for a claim against the dealer who sold you the car, it could be argued that you have not recieved the car in a road worthy condition because you are unable to programme other keys... I'm no lawyer personally I would speak to one if they can't/wont help.

Good luck

Pete

Are you sure? As my RX300 came with two black, two button keys....both "masters" according to the manual....says nothing about three buttons, I thought the three button key was the US market alarm type with the "panic" button.....mine is a '03 Mk1

Best regards David

Are you sure? As my RX300 came with two black, two button keys....both "masters" according to the manual....says nothing about three buttons, I thought the three button key was the US market alarm type with the "panic" button.....mine is a '03 Mk1

Best regards David

Thanks for your reply,

I am only going on what Lexus have told me, no manuals with the car either so I am quite in the dark.

Best regards David

Thanks for your reply,

I am only going on what Lexus have told me, no manuals with the car either so I am quite in the dark.

Have you got a black key with two buttons?

This in no way is meant or intended to sound judgemental or condascending...

This is an apt example of why I will never buy a car that comes with only one key. Any conscientious owner who looses keys/cannot provide at least two proper factory keys with the car raises a red flag to me. You can't expect to be happy with one key with cars of this calibre as the whole security system is complicated and complex should you loose that one key - also you don't know who (or where) the other key I and might be found?

Crackers....well according to the owners handbook I have with my RX the black key/s with two buttons are the master keys!

One caveat is that the book does say you need the master key and the key number (which is on a small tag which is supplied with the original keys) for a dealer to duplicate a key......but according to the workshop manual above seems that all you need is the master key and a duplicate "blank" master......

Best regards David

Crackers....well according to the owners handbook I have with my RX the black key/s with two buttons are the master keys!

One caveat is that the book does say you need the master key and the key number (which is on a small tag which is supplied with the original keys) for a dealer to duplicate a key......but according to the workshop manual above seems that all you need is the master key and a duplicate "blank" master......

Best regards David

Thanks David, I will check this out with Lexus and see what they have to say, they just might be wrong.

You bought the car in good faith from a lexus dealer. It should have come with a full operable set of keys. Period. That is the law, let them pick up the bill

The delaer is not a Lexus dealer, but a respected dealer in Surrey.

He has still to get back to me about this.

Thank You everyone for your comments and suggestions

I always thought that with Lexus a black key was the master, and the valet key was grey?

Also I thought the mk1 RX only has a 2 button key like the IS Sportcross - there is no boot release on the key as there is a handle on the bootlid?

I would check with another Lexus dealer as I think the one you spoke to is wrong :unsure:

I always thought that with Lexus a black key was the master, and the valet key was grey?

Also I thought the mk1 RX only has a 2 button key like the IS Sportcross - there is no boot release on the key as there is a handle on the bootlid?

I would check with another Lexus dealer as I think the one you spoke to is wrong :unsure:

Thats exactly how it seems to be according to the handbook......no worries I think Crackers.....you just need a "blank key shaft" and another two button "transmitter", once you have got it cut and programmed you have a spare key you can loose! :lol:

Best regards David

ps....as well as that PM I sent, there seems to be several keys available on the bay....

I had a GS with one key.. scared the life out of me thinking i was gonna lose the key.

Turns out I never even had the original lexus key.. it was a 3rd party transponder.

But i do remember that even though i did not have the master key the technician tried to tune the new key but the 3rd party key was the problem.

The transponder is the one that will give you problems. Go to another dealer and get another opinion

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links