Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Car Body Work Repairs

Rabster

As some of you have read i had an attempted car jacking a few weeks ago i have been to lexus and got huge quote to have my door repaired i cant justify that amount of work at the moment i have had quotes from other garages, involving sanding down spot welding and then pulling the dents out and lightly filling the areas that are affected then re-spray door to blend in

My question is how well do non lexus garages do at respraying paintwork is there a big difference in the finished product

anyone know a good recomended garage for this bodywork to be done at....

Cheers

Andrew

Is it Lexus Woodford that you went to? I've used them quite a few times for bodywork and found them to be only slightly more expensive than independents and the extra you pay is well worth it as the quality of work and service is excellent.

Is it Lexus Woodford that you went to? I've used them quite a few times for bodywork and found them to be only slightly more expensive than independents and the extra you pay is well worth it as the quality of work and service is excellent.

Are they actually doing the paintwork though? Most main dealers don't have the facilities and take it to a local independent. You are paying extra for the privilage of letting one of their guys take your car round to the independent for you.

Are they actually doing the paintwork though? Most main dealers don't have the facilities and take it to a local independent. You are paying extra for the privilage of letting one of their guys take your car round to the independent for you.

Yep that's the reason I ever took it there in the first place, it's their own bodyshop (Hills Toyota/Lexus Woodford) :)

I belive it goes to the Toyota bodyshop in Hainault, the quote i have for a front door is 1,160.91

from what i understand and from some other single garages i have been to this could be filled not that i really want it filled so new door skin it might have to be but why all the associated work bumpers new rear door mouldings front door mouldings handle etc all these are still in A1 condition its a line dent/crease about half foot long and incredibly shallow if the car is dirty you cant really see it but if its clean which it normally is its soo obvious when the light shines

is this a correct price structure or can it be done cheaper ??

cheers guys

post-15744-1202653623.jpg

and i have just been to double check and cant see anything with the naked eye wrong with the back door

Do they think it is an insurance job? or do they know it is coming out of your own pocket?

i said own pocket, as i had a claim up last year when invloved in a pile up on motorway not 2 much damage but still had new front end etc etc

my excess is just under half the cost of it so i cant justify insurance unless i realy have to you know what i mean

cheers guys

Work doesn't look unreasonable. The problem with replacing the door is that the rear door and front wing will also have to be resprayed to blend in the paintwork - this requires removing all the door mouldings and once removed they need to be replaced as you can't use the same ones again.

What you can do though is ask to not do any of the extra work because you're paying yourself and see whether it's noticeable once done. What colour is the car?

thats what i was told by another garage,

If i was to have the dent/crease pulled and filled they would only blend half way up the front door, but lexus didnt offer filling the dent, i know that filling on a lexus is probably frouned upon but for the dent that can only be seen in the correct light unless you know its there...

Is filling an option, will try and get some photos of it for opinions

I wouldnt worry about a little bit of filler, even when they fit a new panel, they would prob use a little skim of filler for any imperfections.

You know its only a small crease and only a skim of filler would be going in, the only time it would be of concern is when a tub of fller is used to fill a dent.

ok guys i have been out there with the army of suction pullers and have now reduced it down to just this 1 crease bit which stands out in the light but trying to photograph it is harder than i thought

what do you guys think do i still need a new door skin or can this be filled at the lexus garage bodyshop ?

post-15744-1202732303.jpg

Sorry to hear of your trouble, glad you still got your car !!

I have used Automotive Repair Systems before to do a Wheel Refurb and the work was very good.

I got their number from their van parked outside my local Lexus/Toyota Dealer Jemca Bromley.

They were doing a bumper scrape repair on a nearly new Toyota Avensis at the time.

I am sure they would be able to help. The number is on their website.

Ok door is now fixed dent devils is the way forward, apparently due to the fact i had ulled the main dent out more or less traight away it made there job easier you an hardly see where it was now, and to be honest i recon a few wash and wax's and maybe a professional buffer and you wont see it at all.

Hats of to dent devils they are the way forward and very friendly people to, they come highly recomended from me

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links