Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

As a first time Lexus owner having been brand loyal to Volvo for the last three cars and past nine years, I'm a little confused by the readout on the display of my IS220. I've seen a few threads about MPG on here and Lexus' own claims, which I think I can take with a pinch of salt, and wondered which of the readouts is my current MPG. Is it the tank average reading or the 35.6 readout that never seems to change? At the moment I've not had the opportunity to get her out on a long run on A road and motorways meaning most of my journeys have been runs through the city etc together with it's congestion. My tank average is showing 27 mpg at the moment, which is not what I expected. Any ideas to save me trawling through the manual?

The tank average is what you have achieved since you last filled up and resets itself when you fill up again. The one that never changes is the average from new. The other thing to do is to check the tank average against a manually calculated one from fuel used from brim to brim and miles travelled.

Enjoy the new car.

The "one that never changes" can be reset to zero whever you like. Scroll to it using the button the on the steering and wheel, and hold it down for 3 seconds - voila!

The Tank average is as Steve says - resets whenever you fill up (and not to full either - so if you're close to empty and chuck in £10's worth, it still resets :wacko: )

As far as "what you can do", well....all I can says is that I drove an XC70 estate D5 Auto (Wallowy ride, but incredibly comfortable mile muncher) for 3 days a few months ago, and gave it the beans...it averaged 42mpg. When you consider the weight (AWD, Auto etc) I was astonished at how economical it was. The IS really is no match for even that in term of economy at the sort of speeds I drove it and the weight carried in the boot.

Damn - Im going on about economy again. Somone shoot me

Fortunately the economy isn't so much of an issue otherwise it'd be in the Auto Trader now! I doubt I'll buy another one though when the time comes to replace it. I reckon the new S60 will get my money.

Thanks for the info and the tip on resetting the constant figure. 27-28mpg around town really is bad from a deisel. Should have bought an IS250 instead!

A chap I work with went to a V70 diesel (or is it a V50? It's an estate) after years of running diesel A4s. He's very disappointed with the mpg he's getting and regrets changing marques. When I told him I got an indicated 38mpg on a long run, he said he wasn't getting much more than that. He regularly saw 50+ mpg in his Audis.

A chap I work with went to a V70 diesel (or is it a V50? It's an estate) after years of running diesel A4s. He's very disappointed with the mpg he's getting and regrets changing marques. When I told him I got an indicated 38mpg on a long run, he said he wasn't getting much more than that. He regularly saw 50+ mpg in his Audis.

Our new A3 2.0 TDi 170bhp Sportback is currently averaging 34.8 mpg - as soon as you try and use any of the available performance the figures just plummet.

I came from a petrol 2.4 S80 that averaged around 18mpg around town so the IS is a lot better than that. After a week of trying to keep the engine revs in the keen range I'm now averaging around 31mpg around town so it is a vast improvement on the S80 albeit they are different engines. To be honest I haven't had an easy ride buying this car in terms of dealer attitude and I don't think it has the feeling of a prestige marque. Too much is carried over from Toyota such as the switchgear and some of the plastics for me to feel Lexus are seriously competing with Audi, BMW, Volvo etc. Once the new S60 is launched I may trade in or failing that wait until I'm in a position to buy a newish D5 S80.

I came from an Audi A4 1.9TDI Avant, thought i'd go with a Lxus for the change, I love the car but am not seeing anywhere near the same levels of fuel economy as the A4 which returned an average of around 45-50mpg consistently.

If I drive like an old lady (no offence dears!) Ican squeeze 40-41mpg from my IS220d with a combo of driving round town and on motorway/dual carrigeways.

A bit dissapointed to say the least.

I am also amazed that with much more power and torque, the Lexus feels more sluggish than the Audi did, espescially at lower rev ranges.

Having said that, I much prefer driving the Lexus and am on my way to becoming a true Lexus convert.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links