Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I know this has been covered before but.

Shopping around for a decent price for the 20k service on my 18 month old

IS250 SEL Auto i found some wildly varying prices.

My local dealer Newcastle £416.00

Teesside £253.00

Carlisle £290 inc vat

All include all parts and labour so why the vast difference at the Newcastle dealer

is it because they know i'm local and would prefer not to travel elsewhere

or are they just more expensive. They are obviously also owned by different companies.

I may be labouring under the misapprehension that all dealers applied the

same or similar charges for the same services, is this correct or not ?

A call to the service manager may be required or Hello Teesside.

Infinity.....

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Teesside £253.00

Carlisle £290 inc vat

All include all parts and labour so why the vast difference at the Newcastle dealer

or are they just more expensive. They are obviously also owned by different companies.

Infinity.....

I've just had a quote from Newcastle for a 10k service of £240.00. I wonder if it would be worth phoning Teeside for a quote off them?

You need to be careful here. Some dealers will change brake fluid, coolant at 20k so you may not be comparing like for like.

Northern Boy, i think i only paid £180.00 my 10k at Newcastle.

Thanks Steve,

All dealers should follow the prescribed Lexus service schedule

if the fluids need changing they should be included

All the quotes i recieved included all parts and labour, i am assuming

all parts includes fluids.

Or

Is assumtion the mother of all f#@k ups.

Buyer beware.

Infinity.....

Edit. Teesside have also kindly agred to loan me a GS hybrid while mine is serviced.

Sorry but don't assume anything :( You must ask specifically as some dealerships regard some things as optional. As mentioned above.

Just double checked with Teesside and the quote of £253.24 is inclusive of all parts, labour, fluids

and the dreaded VAT

I'm happy with that. If the service is as good as the price i will move my business to Teesside from now on

Infinity....

Last post on this ;)

Did you ask them what fluids they are going to change? ( Only reason I ask is I have been down this route already with a different dealer ..... )

That is probably the crucial bit! The handbook/service book states what is required - and they should be doing only what's listed in there. If there stringing more stuff on then they are taking the fiss - especially when they start playing with your conscience WRT safety and all that.

Mine is due it's 20k soon, and I am dreading it. I'm just not used to paying so much in such short timescales. My previous luxusry cars were all variable, and I eeked out over 22000 twice in my Audi, and the family get >15500 in BM's before servicing.

It's the one part of Lexus ownership which is so far behind the times...and on area where the dealerships are coining it in.

Last post on this ;)

Did you ask them what fluids they are going to change? ( Only reason I ask is I have been down this route already with a different dealer ..... )

That is probably the crucial bit! The handbook/service book states what is required - and they should be doing only what's listed in there. If there stringing more stuff on then they are taking the fiss - especially when they start playing with your conscience WRT safety and all that.

Mine is due it's 20k soon, and I am dreading it. I'm just not used to paying so much in such short timescales. My previous luxusry cars were all variable, and I eeked out over 22000 twice in my Audi, and the family get >15500 in BM's before servicing.

It's the one part of Lexus ownership which is so far behind the times...and on area where the dealerships are coining it in.

Wasn't there a RAC report recently saying that variable servicing isn't a good thing due to the oil not being in a good state after 12 months and obviously drivers not regularly checking?

Teesside £253.00

Carlisle £290 inc vat

Infinity.....

It may be worth asking Hodson Toyoya (Silverlink) for a quote. I have had a number of Toyotas and they have always proved to be competive. I mentioned this when I asked about service costs when I was considering a purchase at Lexus Newcastle, it was quietly sugested that I get a quote from Hodsons and then challenge Lexus Newcastle for a price match.

Infinity.....

It may be worth asking Hodson Toyoya (Silverlink) for a quote. I have had a number of Toyotas and they have always proved to be competive. I mentioned this when I asked about service costs when I was considering a purchase at Lexus Newcastle, it was quietly sugested that I get a quote from Hodsons and then challenge Lexus Newcastle for a price match.

Update; I called Lexus Teesside and they quoted me £170 all in including fluids and VAT for a 10k service - 30% cheaper than Newcastle. I've booked it in there and cancelled with Newcastle.

Infinity.....

Update; I called Lexus Teesside and they quoted me £170 all in including fluids and VAT for a 10k service - 30% cheaper than Newcastle. I've booked it in there and cancelled with Newcastle.

Northern Boys - I would say you have got yourself a very good deal at Teesside I will keep that in mind for when I am due a service - Merv

Teesside £253.00

Carlisle £290 inc vat

Infinity.....

I'll keep them in mind for the next time i need a service, if its in this car.

I'm considering switching to a GS450h over the next 12 months, i'm testing one tomorrow as a loaner while mine is serviced

although it may need to wait a little longer as i've just blown the cash in a new bath/wet room .

I did ring Lexus Newcastle back and challenge them with the Teeside cost but all they said was the could take off the engine

flush and something else and get the price down to £320

Anyone driven a GS450h i would be interested in some general comments.

Infinity.....

Infinity.....

I drove a GS450h at The Taste of Lexus event at Slaley Hall. It did feel a big car after the IS, but otherwise inside it was similar - albeit I think the IS's instrument binnacle looks better. The main difference is the speed - it is so fecking fast!. It really does take off like a rocket. It is eerily quite when you turn it on and press the accelerator, although that only lasts a couple of seconds because above 5mph or so the engine kicks in and it sounds more normal.

Infinity.....

The main difference is the speed - it is so fecking fast!. It really does take off like a rocket. It is eerily quite when you turn it on and press the accelerator, although that only lasts a couple of seconds because above 5mph or so the engine kicks in and it sounds more normal.

So true. Reverse is even worse - it works almost totally on Electrics...

I did one of those Magnum PI Ferari starts (like the one where he fishtails on a gravelly road at the opening credits) from a lay by on the open road event - totally accidentally. It is one awesome quick car, and bigger in the back. Just a shame the boot is the size of a pea pod.

I've often thought about the GS - 'cos it so much quieter inside, and is deceptively fast - even the GS300. You don't know how fast you are going unless you look at the needles.

Just not sure how economical th GS450h really is in real worlds.

Infinity.....

The main difference is the speed - it is so fecking fast!. It really does take off like a rocket. It is eerily quite when you turn it on and press the accelerator, although that only lasts a couple of seconds because above 5mph or so the engine kicks in and it sounds more normal.

So true. Reverse is even worse - it works almost totally on Electrics...

I did one of those Magnum PI Ferari starts (like the one where he fishtails on a gravelly road at the opening credits) from a lay by on the open road event - totally accidentally. It is one awesome quick car, and bigger in the back. Just a shame the boot is the size of a pea pod.

I've often thought about the GS - 'cos it so much quieter inside, and is deceptively fast - even the GS300. You don't know how fast you are going unless you look at the needles.

Just not sure how economical th GS450h really is in real worlds.

Brief report on the service experience at Teesside.

I was met at the door by the salesman who originally sold me the car at Newcastle he knew who I was and was very chatty

and pleasant. Introduced me to the service manager Iain, a very nice guy.

He explained the service and was happy to have the car ready for me at the protracted time frame I was under

during the day. I dropped mine off at 9:30 but needed it back 12:30pm. It was ready on my return, washed

and hoovered inside and service book stamped. The bill was less than I expected as I produced my members gold card

and was dully rewarded some discount.

I'm extremely happy with the service and the attitude of the staff at Lexus Teesside, and the coffee is very good too.

I think from now on I’m moving my business to Teesside. First Rate.

Teesside loaned me a GS 450h SE for the short term the car was being serviced.

Wow ...... The power is incredible coming off the roundabout outside the dealer I pushed the throttle

in a similar manner as I would in the IS and the tail let go straight away followed by the traction control

stepping in to hold the slide. The acceleration from stationary is ferocious. I agree with you Jamboo the car running on

batteries is really weird complete silence in the cabin, really gentle acceleration holds the car on the Battery

up to about 30 then the engine glides in the only reason you know its happened is the graphics change on the

screen then the KW needle drops as the engine takes the strain. I found the suspension a little on the very hard side

then I realised it was on the sport setting, switching this off didn’t really make any notable difference.

Driving from Stockton to Hartlepool and back I pushed it on the outward journey to look at the performance

and took it easy on the return to look at fuel consumption, on a mix of 50/50 dual carriageway and local roads

the car said I averaged 23.3mpg outward and 38.1mpg on the return. I bettered my IS on the return leg

but was obviously worse in performance mode with the larger engine.

Pros. Superb performance, feels much more solid than the IS and more rigid in the chassis. Interior is a pleasant

place to be but the two tone white lower half leather wasn’t to my taste in this car. Economy is very good

for a large car when you drive conservatively.

Cons. Suspension is very hard and the boot is tiny, and i think it would struggle to pass the two sets of golf clubs

test.

Would i have one ?. Oh Yes. the performance does it for me. i think the GS450h will be my next car

unless 5 and the bonus come up on Saturday. Then its a Maserati Quatroporte.

Infinity........

It is so deceptiv. You can be driving at license killing speeds before you blink...

On topic - Been quoted £380 for the 20k at Leicester, minus discount for LOCGold. Boy that is expensive, especially when you look at what they actually do.

I just hope the brakes are OK...

PS - just called Cov - GULP £445incl Vat - though I was asked if they had seen the car before he quoted...to which I said No...

What do they think we're made of....? It's not a question of affordability, it's more that they really are taking you for a ride. And the threat on the threads of "..it'll lose £1k if you take it elsewhere..." has got to be an illegal practice...

I somehow don't see this car lasting another year in our household...

Service costs are mainly dictated by Labour Rates. Lexus are far behind their 'competitors' like BMW, Merc (dare I mention Audi too?) who charge circa £120 +VAT - Lexus might be slowly increasing their charges to reflect the market position. These costs will only go up, up and up. This is a reason why I believe the pre-paid service plans are a very good idea (if you cannot get to Lexus Hanley!) :)

It is so deceptiv. You can be driving at license killing speeds before you blink...

On topic - Been quoted £380 for the 20k at Leicester, minus discount for LOCGold. Boy that is expensive, especially when you look at what they actually do.

I just hope the brakes are OK...

PS - just called Cov - GULP £445incl Vat - though I was asked if they had seen the car before he quoted...to which I said No...

What do they think we're made of....? It's not a question of affordability, it's more that they really are taking you for a ride. And the threat on the threads of "..it'll lose £1k if you take it elsewhere..." has got to be an illegal practice...

I somehow don't see this car lasting another year in our household...

I think I got a result with my £65 per month for 30m = 9 services. Its interesting that BMW are offering servicing over 5 years/60000miles for £635. It makes £380 for one service a little steep!!

Teesside £253.00

Carlisle £290 inc vat

Infinity.....

Strange one this - I've rang to get my 250 Sport petrol 20,000 service and Carlisle come out at £333 and Teesside comes in at £318 (all inc. Vat) - rang Newcastle who have said they are more than happy to match the Teesside price.

thats what i did with lexus coventry who charge 270 for 10k service. told them hanley charge 120. so they brought it down to 200 which still isnt as low as 120 but better than 270 :)

What I find amazing about Lexus servicing is that every deal I speak to has a different idea what is required for each service. I assumed that there is a standard Lexus service shedule and every dealer should comply with it. Our wrong I am. I have just had a 20000 mile service in a car that is just 6 months old. What I have come accross is amazing.

For the 10000 mile service I was quoted £226 and this is what I was charged. However when I look at the bill against the job sheet/service shcedule its starts to look dodgy. First of all, I am charged £14.36 for changing the Battery in the remote. Yet when I look at the job sheet it seems to be required only on a full service at 20000 miles. When I asked the dealerwhy they did this on a car 3 months old the reply was "its done due to customer demand" When I complained they said that I should have specifically told them not to replace it at the service. How could I tell them when I didn't know they were going to do it?

Then I find a litre of top up oil in the boot for which I was charged £14.68. Again, the car has never used oil and the reason they did it was "due to customer demand" To be fair I returned it for a refund which they did. However thats £22 I was charged for things I didn't need.

For the 20000 mile service I changed dealers and specifically said I want the service in accordance with the manufacturers schedule but I didn't want the Battery or top up oil. Certainly sir that will be £380 which I agreed. However they changed the coolant even though its supposed to be long life without needing a change. Why? Because we believe it is better to do this and you should tell us before hand if you don't require it. I give up. £606 over 20000 miles is a lot more expensive than my Audi

Teesside £253.00

Carlisle £290 inc vat

Infinity.....

Strange one this - I've rang to get my 250 Sport petrol 20,000 service and Carlisle come out at £333 and Teesside comes in at £318 (all inc. Vat) - rang Newcastle who have said they are more than happy to match the Teesside price.

I cancelled my 10k service with Newcastle (they wanted £240) because I had got a cheaper quote from Teesside (£170). When they asked me why I was cancelling it I told them I had got a cheaper price elsewhere - they then offered to price match, but I refused - it wasn't fair on Teesside.

In my book you quote your best price first time to loyal customers who've bought from you, we shouldn't have to shop around and find only then will you drop your price . I like the people at Lexus Newcastle but at the end of the day £70 is £70. When it comes to the 20k service I'll give them another chance to quote but they better sharpen their pencils.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links