Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Which Cars Have Copied The Is?

1. BMW copied the taillights of the discontinued 3-series Compact

2. I parked my IS next to the new 3-series (E90) and the headlights are similar to some extent IMHO

3. The old Mazda 6 definitely got some inspiration from the IS

4. The new Mazda 6 is also similar to the new IS 250/220!

Anything else?

I still think the IS is stunning especially side on although I am getting a tiny bit bored of it.

Were the chronographic dials a first on the IS and has any other car copied that idea?

I do get 'annoyed' when anti-Lexus people just pass the car off as a Toyota - is an Audi just an up-market VW?

What i think really needs to be asked is, what was the IS first to do....

The competition in 1999 was this...

1999a4_1.jpg

1999a4_2.jpg

dsc_0008.jpg

dsc_0001.jpg

83451.jpg

P1000709.JPG

6f72_12.JPG

81c3_12.JPG

Now looking at that, the IS was the first to have the light clusters behind perspex plastic, where the lights are actually a design rather then a bulb behind smoked plastic.

it was also the first to give standard 17" alloys, first with standard closing wing mirrors, and folding sat nav screen.

I think back in 1999, people were mad to go into a Audi showroom to pick up that Audi over the IS!

the Is still looks decent to this day almost 10 years on... im not sure who read it but the is200 came 1st for build quality and the is200 beat the new style bmw 3 series. thats amazing that an almost 10 year old car is viewed as a better motor than a 2 year old bmw.. no surprises the is250 came 5th and won the award for best running costs, slightly off topic but is200 is a top car today never mind 9-10 years ago.. mazda 6 uses similar rear lights.

I agree the IS is aging very well. I was shocked when I moved to the US at how boring all the US cars are. They all have Sierra jelly mould styling. Only the very new cars in the last 2ish years have any kind of features. The only exceptions are the imports from Europe (BMW etc), the Acura TL (actually a Euro Honda ?), and the Lexus IS.

I can park my seven year old IS300 in any car park, and it looks the most modern car in the place. Plus all the boy racers with sad Hondas and Chevys with retro-fit clear lights are jealous of the real thing !

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links