Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Engine Light And Burning Smell.........

brice1ie

Hi,

Ive been a member for quite some time , though not really posted anything, but have had alot of info thanks to all you guys..... :winky: I have started mods on my car.. would post pics but i cant find how to get them on my profile... anyway... the engine light came on a while ago.... was told it was a lambda sensor.... which was then changed... however while driving in france the engine light has come back on again... and after a journey of about 30 minutes or more, theres a burning smell coming from the engine bay... i have tried to locate where its coming from but its very difficult to tell exactly.... Having brought it to a garage here, worried its about to just die on me, they said its the clutch, however i cant see how the engine light would be on, tho i wudnt really know if its possible... was hoping some1 could lend me some advice or even what to look for, for clues as speaking 2 different languages with a garage doesnt seem to do alot of good!! Thanks...

Your best bet is to have it checked with a OBD reader to see what the codes are if the engine light is on...burning smell could be your clutch. :shutit: does it judder or do you have difficulty with changing gears..?

Your best bet is to have it checked with a OBD reader to see what the codes are if the engine light is on...burning smell could be your clutch. :shutit: does it judder or do you have difficulty with changing gears..?

Yeah it does... am goin to do that test of the handbrake to see if it cuts out... can a clutch bring on the engine light??

Can't believe the clutch and engine light would be connected. You need to read the codes and get lambda sensors ( think there are two ) checked and maybe the CAT. What does the manual say for your model for the engine light ( apart from don't drive it and take it to the nearest Lexus dealer )?

Can't believe the clutch and engine light would be connected. You need to read the codes and get lambda sensors ( think there are two ) checked and maybe the CAT. What does the manual say for your model for the engine light ( apart from don't drive it and take it to the nearest Lexus dealer )?

Not alot to the best of my memorybut ill read up on it again tomorrow.. (my car is in a lock up at work as i didnt wanna drive it) Is it possible that the lambda senor that was changed just hasnt reset on the ecu or not really? Its goin to get another reading in a toyota garage so ill know more then. 2nd is juddery and sticky, and finding 1st when stopped is a real clunk, and come to think of it, it smelled really bad when i went to my gf´s house and there a big hill on the road leading up to her house... so maybe thats a gud sign.. (as i prefer the clutch smelling than something in the engine). what does the lambda sensor do anyway?? Im sure a stupid question to alot of you, but i simply dont know.... is it dangerous to drive if it is that?

Thanks again guys... I hope someday ill know enough to help also!

The lamba sensor just checks your Cat is working properly i believe.

Also checks the engine isnt running to lean/rich.

Stav

Thanks for that... Its hard to understand when people talk about components and you dont know what they mean...... is it safe to drive for a short time IF the lambda or CAT is the problem??

Ive read that people have got oem clutches fitted after they´ve worn out and have had alot of problems with them... is that true??

if the lambda is the problem, it should be ok for a short time. If it is the catalysor then you might blow your engine

Well i took the car to Lexus in France and it turns out that A well known chain in the UK that did my timing belt didnt align it correctly and have worn the belt to fraying, and also never changed the tenioners... (if thats the correct name).. so as it happens ive to pay for all the repair.. that damage is really not what i was expecting... though i guess i was lucky as i did drive the car to france with it like that and Southern France at that!!

On i different note i got a HID conversion kit from HIDSHOP and its damn brilliant... minutes to fit... (literally and i aint got jack s**t knowledge of cars) and i got some 501 LED´s to match the HIDs thrown in... absolutly cool looking... Would DEF recommend them, thats for sure.. and great service to match, plus next day delivery... so if any1 is thinkin about getting some, id DEF look them up!

Cheers again guys for your advice.

Oh, and the clutch is goin... but the garage thinks ill get another little while out of it if i want!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links