Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How Easy Is It To Change Spark Plugs Yourself?

I have never done it, and i have no mechanical experience. However, i have a mechanic mate who could probably help me do it - what i would like to understand from those who have done it is what sort of tools/work is involved to do the job?

Any particular difficulties with getting them in and changed?

Thanks

Its really quite easy,

undo the one bolt holding each coil pack, pull them out, blow all the ***** out from around the plug.

Then get a spark plug tool with the rubber insert as its quite deep and screw them out!

Stav

What about screwing them back in how do you know when there in far enough as you don't want to over tighten or even snap them, just got a set and was thinking of doing it myself but don't want to c :tsktsk: k it up, might just take it somewhere then it's someone else's problem.

I changed mine last weekend. Have never done it before just went for it with a rachet set! Was very easy would recommend doing it yourself!

Ok cool how did you know when to stop turning, sounds a bit daft but I really don't fancy messing this up.

until the plug just starts to get tight then about another 1/2 or 3/4 turn to crush the sealing washer. i also recommend a VERY small abount of anti sieze paste on the thread of the plugs so they will be easier to remove

IF you look on the box the plug comes in it should also tell u how tight or how much of a turn you need.

Says on the box: Gasket seat 1/4-1/2 turn and taper seat 1/16 turn so i'd assume it's the gasket seat turn i'd need to follow, would this 1/4-1/2 turn be as you said when the plug is just getting tight :question:

IF you look on the box the plug comes in it should also tell u how tight or how much of a turn you need.

Says on the box: Gasket seat 1/4-1/2 turn and taper seat 1/16 turn so i'd assume it's the gasket seat turn i'd need to follow, would this 1/4-1/2 turn be as you said when the plug is just getting tight :question:

yes exactly.. u have the gasket seat also :winky:

Don't forget one very important element....make sure each spark plug has the correct feeler guage gap! Not sure what it is, but im sure someone else will post it up. Even if they're new spark plugs, the gap between the ground electrode and center electrode may have changed during transit.

Hi

Another tip would be to start them off by hand, not a ratchet, if they are deep in the head just use the extension bar, that way you will not cross thread them, they should wind down very easily to start with before they bottom out and get tight, if you cross thread them they will get tight after about 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn, if they do, take them out and inspect the thread, any damage discard the plug...

It is very easy though and a good place to start, saves some money as well

Go for it and good luck, you will have a great sense of achievement when you’ve finished

Pete

Don't forget one very important element....make sure each spark plug has the correct feeler guage gap! Not sure what it is, but im sure someone else will post it up. Even if they're new spark plugs, the gap between the ground electrode and center electrode may have changed during transit.

Can someone please explain what this means in non-mechanic, laymans terms?

Thanks

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links