Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fuel Economy And After Market Air Filters.

Anybody else noticed improved fuel economy when they have fitted an aftermarket air filter.

I have recently fitted a K&N panel filter to my Mk1 GS300. The best I got before on a motorway cruise was 29-30 which dropped off to 26-27, and an average of 24 dropping off to 21 for mixed. The drop off I am guessing is as the filter starts to clog. Now I'm getting just under 33 on my standard cruise up the motorway and nearly 26 on my mixed driving. I'm pretty impressed with that. A good 10% improvement on the best figures and hopefully it won't drop off as bad either. Well worth the extra initial outlay for the filter.

K&N's on eBay for the Mk1 GS are normally around the £58 mark plus postage. I got lucky and got one plus a timing belt for £40. Considering they are a lifetime filter (with 50K-100K mile clean and re-oiling) you should recouperate the cost if you have the car long enough or do enough miles. I do about 30K miles a year so it should pay for itself in fuel savings and OEM replacement filters pretty quickly.

1. how do you clean the fillter when it gets dirty? stick in the washing machine?

2.what oil do you use?

i thought that oiled fillter`s play hell with the MAF sensor?

1. There is a cleaning kit for them, which includes the cleaner and the correct oil.

2. I'm not aware of the oil causing problems, as there shouldn't be enough oil in it for the oil to come away from the filter unless it is over oiled. I'll keep an eye on things as I've not had it fitted long.

might have to invest in one of these, watched my fuel guage read a pathetic 220 miles to 3/4 of a tank, im 100% sure i got more than this before

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/K-N-HIGH-FLOW-AIR-FI...1742.m153.l1262

this one sounds OK

looks like the right fella.

Never had any problems on any of my cars that i've owned over the past few years with the K+N due to the oil and had them in nearly every car i've owned so i would'nt worry too much?

Instead of putting the oil direct on the filter i used to put it on a cloth and wipe it all over the filter which left a fine coating and no chance of over doing it :)

am i right in thinking that the mk1 gs filter will fit a is300 as they basically have the same engine?

I think the IS300 ones is the same as the later GS's (98 - 05), not the Mk1.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links