Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Since buying my IS250 in January I am concerned at how easily the paint chips off. The bonnet already has several chips, some of which are quite big. The Slate Grey colour doesnt help as the light colour primer underneath makes them stand out but is anyone else experiencing similar problems? If so, has anyone done anything about it?

Since buying my IS250 in January I am concerned at how easily the paint chips off. The bonnet already has several chips, some of which are quite big. The Slate Grey colour doesnt help as the light colour primer underneath makes them stand out but is anyone else experiencing similar problems? If so, has anyone done anything about it?

Had a 220d SE from new in Oct 2007 Brechin Slate. After 7 months and 9000 miles looked like i had driven behind a gritter for most of that time. Had a word with the dealer and basically they didn't want to know. The only explanation was it is a very low bonnet line and therefore prone to stone chips. Now have a Argento Ice IS250 and after 5 weeks and 1500 miles there not much evidence of chipping but the lighter colour does help.

mine also has stone chips but i have touched then in with the paint supplied and wet sanded and polished,it takes a little time but it is a good result.

What paint supplied ?. Do you mean they are actually giving free touch up paint with the cars now!

My faith in human nature has been restored.

mine also has stone chips but i have touched then in with the paint supplied and wet sanded and polished,it takes a little time but it is a good result.

What paint supplied ?. Do you mean they are actually giving free touch up paint with the cars now!

My faith in human nature has been restored.

faith restored then barry.

My bonnet also had stone chips (IS200)

Got it respayed and it looked great for about a month,now I have a big chip again.

So dont know if its worth paying out to get it sprayed.

I looked into the clear film you can get applied but the company said it would only cover the bottom part of the bonnet,not the whole thing.they said you will see a line across your bonnet but not from a distance.

But i did not think this was good enough.

I've got the film and it does the job. First company I used it was an appalling finish with bubles under the film, eventually I got a full refund and had another company fit a different make of film. It's now a big improvement. It covers entire front bumper, wing mirrors ( part ) and bonnet and wings part. This latest one has a wavy finish across the bonnet which at first was a bit of a shock but since then I have realised you don't notice it as much as the straight line. But to be honest the first one was a better fit to the panels / lights etc.

You can get them in different fittings, that is to say cover part of the bonnet and wings, a bit more than that or to cover the entire bonnet and wings. This ( if you can afford it ) would give you better protection and would not be noticeable.

• 5 months later...

My 250 is fast approaching its third birthday, but only has 27K miles on the clock. The bonnet and the front of the wings had a few chips, but were (reasonably) easily filled with the touch up kit and polished. However, the plastic front bumper and front spoiler looked horrendous with hundreds of very small chips in the paint.

A couple of weeks ago I managed to crack my front spoiler by touching the kerb doing a three pointer with the ambient temperature around freezing :blush: . Lexus say the front spoiler is made from 'high impact ABS', but believe me they cannot have tested it anywhere cold. Anyway, options were to either to get it plastic welded and resprayed or buy a new one ready painted from the USA. As the cost was about the same I decided to get it repaired and at the same time remove the front bumper and get that re-sprayed (saves on material costs).

Getting to the point (sorry but needed the background info). The bodyshop I use are excellent and they were not very complimentary about the OEM paintwork, saying it was 'flakey' and the primer on the front bumper 'almost like chalk', and the OEM paint on the spoiler 'not a lot better'. Also said the clear coat looked like a 'single pack' coating. The bumper was therefore sanded right back and reprimed, re-sprayed in the 1G0 Cadoxton Slate and given a coat of two pack laquer (the colour coats are water based due to the new regs).

It was finished today and looks superb. Hopefully the non OEM clearcoat will prove tougher and more chip resistant than the original.

Not very happy with the OEM paint though :angry: , a case of suspicions confirmed I'd say.

My 250 is fast approaching its third birthday, but only has 27K miles on the clock. The bonnet and the front of the wings had a few chips, but were (reasonably) easily filled with the touch up kit and polished. However, the plastic front bumper and front spoiler looked horrendous with hundreds of very small chips in the paint.

A couple of weeks ago I managed to crack my front spoiler by touching the kerb doing a three pointer with the ambient temperature around freezing :blush: . Lexus say the front spoiler is made from 'high impact ABS', but believe me they cannot have tested it anywhere cold. Anyway, options were to either to get it plastic welded and resprayed or buy a new one ready painted from the USA. As the cost was about the same I decided to get it repaired and at the same time remove the front bumper and get that re-sprayed (saves on material costs).

Getting to the point (sorry but needed the background info). The bodyshop I use are excellent and they were not very complimentary about the OEM paintwork, saying it was 'flakey' and the primer on the front bumper 'almost like chalk', and the OEM paint on the spoiler 'not a lot better'. Also said the clear coat looked like a 'single pack' coating. The bumper was therefore sanded right back and reprimed, re-sprayed in the 1G0 Cadoxton Slate and given a coat of two pack laquer (the primer and colour coats are water based due to the new regs).

It was finished today and looks superb. Hopefully the non OEM clearcoat will prove tougher and more chip resistant than the original.

Not very happy with the OEM paint though :angry: , a case of suspicions confirmed I'd say.

what was the cost of painting the bumper as mine could do with painting.

£340 inc. VAT, included another colour and laquer coat on my colour coded grill surround as that had a small chip in it.

Have you guys heard of Dr Colorchips, here's a thread I started on my forum..

http://www.talkmorgan.com/ubbthreads.php?u...20948#Post20948

I had not come across this before. Looks interesting, thanks for the link. On my repair I was more interested in fixing what I thought to be the root cause of the problem, the OEMs paint. Using the Dr Colorchips system may have been successfull in hiding the small chips in the plastic bumper, but it wouldn't take long for the OEM paint to chip again. Looks a better bet than the OEM paint pen though, so may give it a go.

Think this statement on their webby summed the system up "First of all, it's important to keep in mind that this is a paint chip repair / touch-up kit. It is not the answer for all paint repairs, nor is it a substitute for the body shop. However, if you are not inclined to go to the body shop and spend hundreds of dollars to have your vehicle repaired perfectly, our system is likely the best alternative."

£340 inc. VAT, included another colour and laquer coat on my colour coded grill surround as that had a small chip in it.

i asked because i have recently had a quote from a trusted body shop which i have dealt with before,they quoted me £650 +vat to paint the bonnet,both front wings and the bumper.

i asked because i have recently had a quote from a trusted body shop which i have dealt with before,they quoted me £650 +vat to paint the bonnet,both front wings and the bumper.

That's not a bad price. The original estimate on mine was lower but that was before they realised the original paint had to be taken right back because of its brittle nature.

The two pack clear coat on top of the water based colour coats is the Ceramiclear so I'm interested in how that will withstand the road rash. Mine probably suffers more from all the smaller road crap stirred up by the traffic because it's lowered and also the front spoiler sweeps it up and directs it at the lower front bumper. At the original ride height I think most of the small stuff would go underneath the car without too much of a problem.

That's not a bad price. The original estimate on mine was lower but that was before they realised the original paint had to be taken right back because of its brittle nature.

The two pack clear coat on top of the water based colour coats is the Ceramiclear so I'm interested in how that will withstand the road rash. Mine probably suffers more from all the smaller road crap stirred up by the traffic because it's lowered and also the front spoiler sweeps it up and directs it at the lower front bumper. At the original ride height I think most of the small stuff would go underneath the car without too much of a problem.

it will be interesting to see how the ceramiclear holds up over the winter,did the paint shop raise your expectations on the durability.btw,which manufacturer makes ceramiclear.

it will be interesting to see how the ceramiclear holds up over the winter,did the paint shop raise your expectations on the durability.btw,which manufacturer makes ceramiclear.

PPG Industries

http://www.autocentral.com/article.mvc/PPG...1?VNETCOOKIE=NO

http://prnwire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT...68212&EDATE=

Of interest my 2008 Grey Car has significantly less brittle paint than my 2005 silver & although I keep a good distance behind the vehicle in front most of my milage is on Motorways & I have a Front Lip-Spoiler.

Tel

Of interest my 2008 Grey Car has significantly less brittle paint than my 2005 silver & although I keep a good distance behind the vehicle in front most of my milage is on Motorways & I have a Front Lip-Spoiler.

Tel

But you haven't lowered it have you Tel? Be interested to know if there is a difference between the 2006 and 2008 paint finish, but I doubt there is. Mine's Cadoxton Slate Grey or Smokey Granite Mica as it's known in the States.

There are no swirls even when examined under fluorescent light & I aim to keep it that way by always cleaning as per the detailing Spec. for Black Cars.

As for the the Hardness, I have sufferred one minor chip on the top of the wing adjacent to the A-post that was such a "Bump" I thought I had ran over a pothole!Cleaned the car as soon as possible thereafter to reveal a two-headed chip both c.1mm. diam. which all but disappeared with the excellent touch-up that came with the car.True my car has not been lowered but the Front-Lip/Bumper is still pristine & I am not a slow driver.

I really do beleive the formulation has changed:thank goodness!

Tel

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links