Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Handbrake Conversion

RogerJP

I am almost the proud owner of a new IS250 SE-L Auto. I've taken the liberty of joining LEC prior to commitment in the hopes that some of you knowledgeable folk might be able to help me make my mind up. :tomato:

I have a gammy left knee :sick: and switched to autos about 20 years ago to slow down the rate of damage to the cartilege. I have been a Honda Accord man, until now, moving from a 1983 manual when my knee gave in to an E reg 2L Auto, then via a 1991 2.2 4WS Auto (briliant car) to my latest now 4-y-o 2.4 auto (which is also the first new car I ever "owned" via a lease deal from the firm). That is now expired so, assuming I come out of the company lease scheme (which I am inclined to do as they are expensive to say the least), I am in a good bargaining position - no trade-in and petrol prices sky high - salesman who I approach for tentative information from all marques are biting at my heels :shifty:

Anyhow - enough of my waffle. The IS250 presses all my right buttons - except the poxy parking brake. Yes I know I don't need it, but I do not like sitting at the lights in rain dazzling the bloke behind because I cannot be bothered to put the parking brake on and take my foot off the brake. I tried slipping the lever into P once or twice on my otherwise wonderful 48-hour test drive, but this adds a couple of jerks to an otherwise perfect ride. Also allowing the car to roll back taking up the slack on the parking pawl cannot be good for anything IMHO, particularly when it comes to taking it out of P later on.

So - finally - to my question:

What are the options to convert this pedal parking brake to either a conventional handbrake from an IS220d or, possibly easier, add a motor and auxiliary tension cable and hook or offset cam arrangement to operate the existing mechanism, with a push-to-make switch fitted to the centre console (not unlike the push-start switch on the dashboard)? For the latter, provided mechanical efficiency was over about 60% (which is feasible I think), the complexity at the business end should be straightforward - working to all intents and purposes like a mechanical left foot. Anyone ever done anything like this? I really liked everything else about this car, to the extent I'm happy to take this on as a project to have one - if it is feasible. The alternative... another Accord - but the last of the 57 plate as the latest obne is too wide for the garage!

Thanks in anticipation to anyone responding - and apologies for excessive background above - call it first night nerves ;)

Roger

Doubt if you can retofit the handbrake into the cemtre console:

http://www.lexus.co.uk/range/is/gallery/images/index.aspx

Compare the manual and automatic pictures on the gallery above.

I would guess you would be better getting a conversion on the steering and then it will be easy to put it back to standard.

Doubt if you can retofit the handbrake into the cemtre console:

http://www.lexus.co.uk/range/is/gallery/images/index.aspx

Compare the manual and automatic pictures on the gallery above.

I would guess you would be better getting a conversion on the steering and then it will be easy to put it back to standard.

Hello Steve - and thanks for replying.

You mean like the ELAP one? Yes that's a possibility, although the steering wheel and surround are already a bit busy...

I might be meeting Mr ELAP on Thursday to explore this option (the Southend dealership is arranging it) - but I would prefer a simpler button-operated thing if possible.

I've had more thoughts. Has anyone ever taken the fixed footrest off in this car? Is it easy? Is it hollow? Is the floorpan below it strong at that point to support a mini-winch? How much space is under it?

My thoughts are to attach a motor with reduction gearbox to the bulkhead under the footrest with a bit of 150 Lb cat gut anchored to and wrapped around the shaft coming out through a tiny hole at the edge of the footrest, which in turn is tied around the parking brake pedal. A single button mounted on the console can then enegise the motor which ratchets the brake on or off each press and release, with a resistive feed to the motor all the time the car is in "accessory" or more mode to take up the slack/act as anti "birds nest".

Don't think that would work to operate the foot pedal, as the pedal has to be pushed down to release it and I don't think your mechanism would do that. IMHO you nheed to get it done professionally otherwise it may invalidate your insrance / warranty.

How about Keeping the foot brake for MOT purposes and have a haydraulic handbrake like on race/rally cars. Should be a lot simpler to install. Just a thought.

Don't think that would work to operate the foot pedal, as the pedal has to be pushed down to release it and I don't think your mechanism would do that. IMHO you nheed to get it done professionally otherwise it may invalidate your insrance / warranty.

It would work, Steve. The cat gut would tug the pedal downward when the button was pressed (just as if you put your foot on the pedal) and would go slack (as if you took your foot off) when you let go of the button, allowing the pedal to return to either the latched or fully up position. This would pull it alternatiely on and off.

I take your point about warranty though (though my mod would be easily undone just by releasing the cat gut from the pedal.

How about Keeping the foot brake for MOT purposes and have a haydraulic handbrake like on race/rally cars. Should be a lot simpler to install. Just a thought.

Now this I like. Thank you for the suggestion and sorry I took so long to come back to you for it. I've researched this possibility and it does make practical sense from a fitting perspective - much less intrusion by paradox (although it does technically ad a small risk to normal braking I think). Also, I still have the problem of where to mount the wrettched lever. I am told the transmission tunnel in an auto is not braced like that of the manual counterpart. Thinking...

Think you would have to declare it to the insurance, amd although they may be sympathetic I suspect they may not want to insure you or put T&Cs into the policy.

I'd with pleasure declare it. I'm very confident I'd not be loaded though. That would be discriminatory and they'd not want that levelled at them. :winky:

• 5 weeks later...

personaly i say blind the driver behind with the brake light... i do.. and its a damn sight safer and more reliable than retrofitting.. along with massive cost savings etc...

as soon as you adapt the stock braking setup you are invalidating the warenty not only on that part but more likely on the whole braking system..

and all these aftermarket ideas are nice, but what are the safety measures to stop them coming into action when they are not required.. i.e. the winch starting working after a shor at 80mph in fast lane...

• 1 year later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links