Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello all, newbie to the forum here and new to Lexus after too many years in BMW 5 series. Well imprssed with the IS250, better than the 5 in a lot of areas, different in others, but not particularly worse in any (apart maybe from the road noise)!

The one thing that has bugged me is getting a sound that I like out of the non MM stereo (admittedly not helped by the road noise), but just made a big improvement today by turning the ASL off. I had assumed that this was to compensate for increased noise at increased speed, but it seems to be more of a 'compression' function, balancing out the frequencies a bit?

Anyone know for sure, and has the IS got a speed related volume function - mine doesn't seem to :question:

Cheers

Al

Automatic Sound Levelizer (ASL) maintains consistent sound levels at varying extraneous noise levels

Obviously doesn't work too well or needs setting up to your own preference. :unsure:

I always assumed it was that auto-volume i.e when road noise is taking over the sound then it will pump up the volume?

That's what it used to do on the GS. It had a little bar chart readout, so you could see it changing the faster you went..

I always assumed it was that auto-volume i.e when road noise is taking over the sound then it will pump up the volume?

That's what it used to do on the GS. It had a little bar chart readout, so you could see it changing the faster you went..

Ah bingo!...yeh I noticed the bar changing as well. Very Cool!

'Obviously doesn't work too well or needs setting up to your own preference'

Doesn't seem to increase sound levels, any idea how to set it up?? :unsure:

I would have thought that if the ASL is working correctly you should not notice any difference that is the function of the system to adjust the volume so no diffenence can be detected at whatever speed or noise level. - Merv :unsure:

'Obviously doesn't work too well or needs setting up to your own preference'

Doesn't seem to increase sound levels, any idea how to set it up?? :unsure:

I would have thought that if the ASL is working correctly you should not notice any difference that is the function of the system to adjust the volume so no diffenence can be detected at whatever speed or noise level. - Merv :unsure:

You are right. It does it in such small increments, that unless you sit there listening closely, you won't realise that the volume has actually gone up slightly given the background noise..driving a regular car with a regular stereo system now, I find myself having to adjust the volume of the stereo as i go faster on the motorway! never had to do that in the GS!

Thanks for the replies. I will get this looked at for the next service - it definitely changes the sound quality on my car, makes everything seem a bit hollow and distant and I have to turn the volume up whether it's on or off.

Just one point. I'm not sure that the ASL increases volume depending on "Noise level". I think it's purely speed related, else you'd be able to hear the stereo when you hit that rough stretch of the M1 between J 16 and 19ish...

It ain't that clever. Purely speed related from what I can tell. Only some very top end sports cars have anti-noise enhancements as far as I know.

Automatic Sound Levelizer (ASL)

ASL is a feature that automatically compensates for ambient sound (wind noise if a window is lowered, increased traffic, etc.) by raising the volume to maintain pre-set levels regardless of the increased amount of external sound coming into the cabin. Once the external sound has gone, ASL automatically lowers the volume back to the original level.

Taken from the US lexus website apparently

Automatic Sound Levelizer (ASL)

ASL is a feature that automatically compensates for ambient sound (wind noise if a window is lowered, increased traffic, etc.) by raising the volume to maintain pre-set levels regardless of the increased amount of external sound coming into the cabin. Once the external sound has gone, ASL automatically lowers the volume back to the original level.

Taken from the US lexus website apparently

WOW - well blow me down with a feather. I didn't even bother checking as it definitely does not do what is claimed on that website. Certainly not on mine as far as I can tell. I do hav to compensate manually (and yes I leave ASL on all the time).

With the amount of road noise and rattles that this car generates I suppose it needs it!!

With the amount of road noise and rattles that this car generates I suppose it needs it!!

Are you talking about yours in particular, or 220D's in general? Lexus Cheltenham have loaned me one today as a courtesy car while my 200 is having a cambelt change, not noticed any odd noises or rattles but it's crap IMPO compared to the 250 SE-L auto with MM. Gearbox is notchy, ratios are no good and from an overall driving experience I may has well be in any Ford or Vauxhall diesel...

Are you talking about yours in particular, or 220D's in general? Lexus Cheltenham have loaned me one today as a courtesy car while my 200 is having a cambelt change, not noticed any odd noises or rattles but it's crap IMPO compared to the 250 SE-L auto with MM. Gearbox is notchy, ratios are no good and from an overall driving experience I may has well be in any Ford or Vauxhall diesel...

Certainly mine and a few others on the forum, but apparently not generally. Mine has been in 7 times now for rattles and they can't fix it. Dash out twice and I have actually video'd the rattles and you can hear them so cisply. It's going in soon.

The ratio's are OK once you get used to them, but they are dead wierd to start with! On the test drive I was told it was because the engine was tight!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links