Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is This Safe?

Lo ppl.

Not too often i venture into this part of the forum as im not the cleanest driver about, but i have a question. I fully clean/dry/wax my car every 2 weeks or so depending on my mood and weather and the car looks brilliant, but the engine bay is like looking into a scrap yard (not cleaned it in 3 yrs!). Which begs the question, how do i clean the engine bay? when i say this i really don't intend to spend Hrs on it, so i was thinking, IF i was to water/steam/jet clean the engine :-

1) Is this safe/recommended?

2) If i do so, is it best to keep engine running or off?

3) Is there a particular place in the engine to avoid?

4) what do they spray into the engine bay to make it all like clean after the steam clean (seen a spray for this sort of thing but the name of the product escapes me)

Thanks!

1) Yes/not exactly

2) Off

3) Any open areas (alternator, etc), Battery terminals - wrap in cling film

4) Heavy degreaser - Bilt Hamber Surfex HD, 303 Aerospace, Meg's Super Degreaser, and so on, and so forth.

3. anywhere near the ECU box !

best bet is to apply a degreaser to a cold engine, brush it on with a paint brush, even plain washing up liquid will work

then gently hose off or use a watering can

• 2 weeks later...

Autoglym engine and machine cleaner works well on a wetted enging bay with a brush... leave it for a while, was off with a watering can and do it once more.

i then use a product called finish (from autosmart range) and it rejuvinates all rubber and plastic components to a new like state.

Be carefull about getting water in the spark plug tubes though.. not a good thing!

• 5 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links