Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What's The Best Engine Oil To Use?

Hello J,

I've been using the Castrol magnatec for a few years on various cars and been quite happy with it and seems a good all round oil? not sure on what viscosity/grade you would need though for your Celsior but quite happy with it so far :)

Cheers for getting back , yeah i'm stuck on what's the best grade to use on her. any clues anyone

cheers j

On my LS430 I have used Castrol Edge 0W30 and found it to be very good. With the oil that Lexus puts in it, when the engine first started it would rev to about 1,300 rpm and then settle down to about 750. Not it goes up to 2,000 rpm and settles down to 750 on cold starts. It's expensive but I noticed that my mpg has improved slightly. It is also what Castrol recomends on their website. I found it to be quite informative.

Magnatec is a good oil, but is only a hydrocracked dino oil, but the law states it can be called a semi synthetic...

It also has a very high ash content which can block oilways if left in too long..

Some of the best oils are Mobil 1, fuchs, silkolene, motul etc of the fully synthetic type..

The recommended oil is Toyota longlife, which is fully synthetic, hence the long time between changes.. semi synth should be changed earlier..

There was a special offer at my local toyota dealer, who had the longlife oil for £12 (half price) so I bought a couple..

John

• 3 weeks later...
I'd recommend the Slick-50. You will notice your car would become lighter & much smoother to drive.

With all due respect, The large oil manufacturers spend a fortune in ensuring that their product has the right package of additives for the vehicle for which it is intended so any quality oil with the right spec for the car is more than adequate. Messing with what the chemists have designed with additives from a second source will do no good.

I remember when Slick50 was first launched, they said that once treated a car could run with no oil in the engine... To prove or disprove this claim, Motor Mechanics magazine tried it out and yes the car ran for many miles with no oil in the engine... Trouble was so did the test car that hadn't been treated.

These additives are trying to second guess what very experienced chemists have already finely honed

My understanding of using fully synthetic was that it is best used in vehicles which are constantly doing long steady runs i.e. motorway type driveing as more or es the normal driving conditions any vehicle is likely to be using, & semi synthetic is best used for mixed driveing conditions ie some in town some A & B road stuff and motorways as well.

Anybody else heard that sort of thing?

• 1 month later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links