Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My cambelt is now due so I popped into my local independant garage where I get my VOSA cert done for a quote.

He looked on Autodata and confirmed twice it was a 1994 Lexus LS400 UCF10 and said it was 2.8 hours labour and including the waterpump and idlers "I wouldn't get much change out of £100.00".

This seems to be a bargain considering I thought the labour time was around 12 hours so I am getting the parts from the US and letting him do the job.

The garage has an excellent reputation so I have no worries letting them do it.

When I booked the LS in for a cambelt at Lexus, they said it was a 3.5 hour job, so I asked if I can collect the car after 3.5 hours, they said to be on the safe side give us 4 hours because on the LS it sometimes takes us a bit longer because there is more to dismantle and put back together again. That 3.5 hours didn't include a tensioner or waterpump.

Also remeber that these Lexus mechanics know these cars very well, they have all the tech manuals to hand, all the special service tool, know the drill and sequence to get the job done quick. From what is invloved I still think 3.5 hours is hard to beat to take it apart, put the cambelt in and put it back together again.

Your local garage may have underestimated the job and what it invloved, but it sounds too good to be true.

I agree but he knows the car from past VOSA tests and asked me twice if it was an LS400, 1994 and I even told him the engine type then stood next to him while he looked on his computer and up it came 1994 LS400 cambelt change 2.8 hours then he even checked for any special tools and said yes got that and we can make one of those.

If you want to replace the idler bearing, tensioner and water pump you won't get much change out of £100.00 I said very little ( trying my best to hide my delight and surprise!) and casually said that I would order the parts and book it in asap. Calmly walked back to the car with my back to him so he didn't see the big grin on my face!

I bet he'll revue the price on the next one!!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links