Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Engine Note

One thing I've found interesting about my IS200 is the engine note. At low revs I think it sounds amazing, it has a proper 6 cylinder sountrack, seems like you don't even need to rev it because it sounds so good at low revs.

I personally don't find the peformance wanting either, it is much slower than my last car but I was expecting that, so have been surprised with what it goes like, the brakes and cornering are very good so make up for the slight lack of power.

On thing that does seem strange to me though, is the racket the motor makes on the overrun. The engine is lovely and smooth as I go up the revs, but when I drop the clutch to change up (at high revs), it seems to huff and puff like it's not very happy. It seems to back off quite loudly.

I don't think it's anything wrong, just the way it is, but has anyone else noticed this?

yes i noticed this too but i must admit im alot happier now that iv sold the car lol.......sorry but i wasnt happy with the car....performance was crap and fuel economy even worse but hey the comfort and style was something else!! never mind anyway im going to join you guys in the future hopefully after buying the the new is220D cuz them are in a world of their own.....must revert back to my honda civic vti-s and passat tdi for now.... take care fellas and hope you all the best!

yes i noticed this too but i must admit im alot happier now that iv sold the car lol.......sorry but i wasnt happy with the car....performance was crap and fuel economy even worse but hey the comfort and style was something else!! never mind anyway im going to join you guys in the future hopefully after buying the the new is220D cuz them are in a world of their own.....must revert back to my honda civic vti-s and passat tdi for now.... take care fellas and hope you all the best!

Sorry to hear you've got rid. It surprises me when people say the performance is bad on the IS200. Sure in a straight line it's not the quickest thing going, and if you live somewhere with lots of dual carriageways with traffic lights (where you get into "challenges") then I can see the problem. But for normal driving and fast driving on country roads I think the performance is more than good enough.

With the right tyres (inflated to the right pressure!), you get excellent handling, the motor is lovely and smooth so you can rev it and get the best out of it, and the brakes are very good too. That makes up a lot for the lack of power IMO. I seem to be able to really get mine moving well.

Anyway back on topic, glad it's not just me that's noticed the noise. Seems to be when the VVT is on, above 4000rpm?

When I back off or clutch in at high revs, I get a ...ptssssst....over the sound of the induction. But that's just the charger dumping boost. The induction is sooo loud, it is hard to hear anything else over it at all!

is200Sam - is that the same IS200Sam who posted this on youtube?

Don't know that I would be stupid enough to post that online, Excessive Speeding (140mph), Dangerous Driving (140mph), Driving Without Due Care and Attention (holding camera/phone), Driving Without a Seatbelt. That alone will loose ya ure Licence, then see how ya like the performance when ure sat on the bus! Don't think ya can't be arrested over youtube vids, it happens!

not being funny stoney but he appears there to be driving on the right hand side of the road, so that could be the auto-barn, and as the driver himself isn't shown the police would have a job proving who it was or indeed that it was his car as there is no indication of reg plate.

not being funny stoney but he appears there to be driving on the right hand side of the road, so that could be the auto-barn, and as the driver himself isn't shown the police would have a job proving who it was or indeed that it was his car as there is no indication of reg plate.

Are you sure? Looked like he was driving on the left to me......... :whistling:

Pretty nutty doing 130/140mph in pouring rain with no seatbelt on though - doesn't matter how good the car is, in those weather conditions a bit of standing water could have made that catastrophic :shutit:

Well, maybe we will never know! There is also a LexusIs200Sam on here, but dont think it was him. Looks to be on the left side of a dual carrigway though.

in the future hopefully after buying the the new is220D cuz them are in a world of their own.

Nice car, but not sure about world of it's own! Have you driven a BMW oiler recently?

Try this link

A teenager who filmed himself speeding at more than 140mph has been jailed for what experts described as among the most reckless pieces of driving they had ever seen.

The court heard how Campbell had used his mobile phone's video camera feature to film his driving and record his speed by filming the dash board dials as he drove his father's Toyota MR 2 sports car.

Campbell was arrested and told police he had not put the clips on the website but had sent it to a friend who had then sent it to YouTube.

i would agree with paranoid. town driving is pretty crap but get in to lots of corners and shes alot of fun and can challenge alot of cars.... i love big 4x4's hahah come get me... :). the engine noise is so nice i find myself turning the stereo off just to listen to its sound. second gear at really low revs ohh yes..

i would agree with paranoid. town driving is pretty crap but get in to lots of corners and shes alot of fun and can challenge alot of cars.... i love big 4x4's hahah come get me... :). the engine noise is so nice i find myself turning the stereo off just to listen to its sound. second gear at really low revs ohh yes..

Funny you should say that, I think exactly the same - low revs in second gear, it sounds stunning! Is it a bit of whine from the gearbox that gives the engine noise a bit of extra edge?

No-one else really seems to have noticed the loud backing off noise that I was originally talking about, guess it's down to the sort of cars you're used to driving. My previous ones haven't seemed to do it, but I think I've driven some makes of car in the past that have.

well what i mean is the IS seems way too sluggish for my liking....i get a better rush off the vti but obviously the IS has quality that the honda cant deliver! oh the roads on that vid seem familiar :winky: but who knows who was driving that IS, he must have balls of steel LOL

thats not the top end of an IS ;)

Correct :whistling:

lol yeh man i know but the sound is soo nice. guess u cant get enough of that sucking sound. iv read its verry loud. maybe one day :D still dreaming..

Do ya mean my charger sucking? Suprised ya can't hear it in Aberdeen! Is truely monsterous, really needs to be heard to be beleived! You would think ya couldn't get enough of it, but sometimes ya dont want everyone is the street looking at you!

:winky: but who knows who was driving that IS, he must have balls of steel LOL

I'd say it took more balls to post it on youtube that to do it! (Whoever it was?) Planting your foot on the floor on a big straight dual carridgeway is not exactly difficult. Try 140+ on the back roads, at night! That's scary I can tell ya!

I do accept you point that a STANDARD IS200 often seems a little underpowered. What you need is a 300, or a turbo/supercharger!

It's not true to say the top speed won't change on a car unless you change the gearing. On most cars it's power, not the rev limiter that means they run out of puff in top gear.

I've not really had chance to got my foot down yet in my IS, but 6th gear seems quite low geared, so does the standard car hit the limiter in top? If that's the case then fair enough, more power won't add to top speed, but I'd imagine that it would.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links