Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls400 Or Ls430? (my First Lexus)

Hi Folks,

Long time reader - first time poster.

I'm going to go ahead and buy my first Lexus in the next couple of months. After lots of reading and research i've decided on either a 2000 LS400 or a 2001 LS430 (my budget suits this).

I know that the last of the LS400's are ultra reliable - but on the other hand a newer model would be nice too. So what do you think? Are the first of the LS430's as good reliability wise as the last of the LS400's?

Any advice to help me decide would be appreciated.

Welcome to LOC...

I find the 430 engine much more refined and torquey in the lower rev bands....reliability - Its a Lexus ! ;o) - As long as its been cared for in its past life...

Edited by Mark W

Hi Folks,

Long time reader - first time poster.

I'm going to go ahead and buy my first Lexus in the next couple of months. After lots of reading and research i've decided on either a 2000 LS400 or a 2001 LS430 (my budget suits this).

I know that the last of the LS400's are ultra reliable - but on the other hand a newer model would be nice too. So what do you think? Are the first of the LS430's as good reliability wise as the last of the LS400's?

Any advice to help me decide would be appreciated.

Hi......

Well what a question.... this is my personal view it is not the view of the management or anyone with a late 400....

I had this dilemma as well, in the end I decided the 430 suited me better, it’s quite a bit bigger inside and you sit higher, there are more knobs to play with...

I drove both and to me there was a massive difference between them, you could tell that 80% or so of the 430 is new.....

I have had mine a 2001 for just over a year now and done 20,000 miles in it (bought with 57000, now has 76000) It has been serviced by Lexus only.

Everything on it works, every button does what it should....

I replaced the boot struts when I bought it, apparently these go through lack of use!!! (Cost about £70 for the pair)

The only failure I have had in the 20000 miles is one rear bulb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, nothing else has gone wrong, yes I've put tyres on it and a parrot Bluetooth kit and an IPod adapter but the car itself just works, from the soft close doors and boot to the aircon seats and superb sat nav....

If you can afford a 430 I would go for it, the 400 was a great car but the 430 (In my opinion) is much better....

If you buy one check the following

1, Sat nav disc... has it been updated (latest one is about £130)

2, Does the boot stay up when opened, you have to lift it yourself it doesn't open on its own but it should stay up when fully open.... (£70 for new struts)

3, Tyres.... the inner edges wear, check front tyres on full lock (£70-£150 a tyre depending on make)

4, Check every single button, this should take about an hour..... Do they all work??

Apart from that it’s just the usual second hand car checks, Lexus will inspect a car for you for about £55-£60. I had mine done when I bought it, the only thing they noted was that the high height air suspension setting only raised it 14mm... anyway that was probably due to lack of use as it rises 20mm now...

Good Luck I am sure there will be lots of other thoughts on here soon...............

You don't say where you are but if you are near Hull and want a look/ride/play with a 430 then let me know...

Pete

Thanks for that - seriously quick reponses!

Also - i've heard that they are better bought newer with high miles rather than older with low miles - would you guys agree with this?

Would a 2001 LS430 with 100K miles and full Lexus history be a good buy? There are others with less mileage but are more expensive...

Edit: Profile amended - i'm in Ireland. Offer of having a look at your car really appreciated though!

Thanks for that - seriously quick reponses!

Also - i've heard that they are better bought newer with high miles rather than older with low miles - would you guys agree with this?

Would a 2001 LS430 with 100K miles and full Lexus history be a good buy? There are others with less mileage but are more expensive...

Edit: Profile amended - i'm in Ireland. Offer of having a look at your car really appreciated though!

They do eat mileage very well 250,000 with no problems....

A 430 with 100,000 and full Lexus history sounds OK to me if the price is right.... I would get it checked over... HPI'd etc and personally take it for a very long test drive trying it out in all conditions at all speeds... Check pads and discs as well....

One good thing about 100,000 miles is that if it has full Lexus service history the cam belt will have been changed at 90,000 and that costs well into four figures... so ideally a 95,000 mile 430 should be cheaper than a 85,000 mile one but second hand values never work like that.... I'm saving for my cam belt now!!!!

Pete

so ideally a 95,000 mile 430 should be cheaper than a 85,000 mile one but second hand values never work like that.... I'm saving for my cam belt now!!!!

Pete

Did you mean the other way around? :whistling:

:offtopic: Did you buy yours LPG converted or you have it done ?

so ideally a 95,000 mile 430 should be cheaper than a 85,000 mile one but second hand values never work like that.... I'm saving for my cam belt now!!!!

Pete

Did you mean the other way around? :whistling:

:offtopic: Did you buy yours LPG converted or you have it done ?

Hi

No I mean a 95000 mile one has just had well over £1000 spent on it for its big 90000 mile service, a 85000 mile one needs it spending very soon.... so the 95000 mile one SHOULD be cheaper but as I said second hand car prices don't work like that....

I converted mine myself, it has a Prins VSI system... see this thread for details

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=49175

Pete

I'm with Pete on this. Go for an LS430. I have sat in one of the last LS400's and I found that the 430 is by far much more modern in terms of specification. DVD sat nav as opposed to CD based, Mark Levinson stereo. Just make sure if it is the first of the LS430's (X reg to 53 reg), make sure it has the premium pack otherwyse you won't get electric rear seats, rear seat massage with heating, fridge and rear air conditioning. I'm not sure weather they all had air suspension or weather it was just in with the premium pack.

I've had mine for over a year now and love it to bits. I did buy it from a Lexus main dealer and it does have a full Lexus service history. I have also renewed the warrenty for an extra two years. I probably didn't need to but it makes me feel better. There are some pics of it in another thread under "It's clean for two minutes".

Hope this help.

Jim.

?? On the logic you are using - shouldnt the 85K one be cheaper as the new buyer is going to have to spend a 4 figure sum very soon - where as the 95K one has already had it?

ie opposite to normal logic where higher mileage = lower cost

Hi

A couple of links to info on the LS430 if your interested, as Jim said go for the premium pack it has the air suspension as well...

http://www.automotive.com/2001/12/lexus/ls...ions/index.html

http://www.birmingham101.com/motors/lexusls430.html

Pete

?? On the logic you are using - shouldnt the 85K one be cheaper as the new buyer is going to have to spend a 4 figure sum very soon - where as the 95K one has already had it?

ie opposite to normal logic where higher mileage = lower cost

Yes well I never was that good at maths, you are quite right the 85000 mile one should be less than the 95000 mile one but it won't..... I think I confused myself there!!??!?!??!

Pete :blush::blush:

make sure it has the premium pack otherwyse you won't get electric rear seats, rear seat massage with heating, fridge and rear air conditioning.

I wish my office was as well kitted out as an LS .....

I wish my Nissan Micra driving school car was kitted out the same as well. I'd give anything to have rain sensing wipers. I've never known a control known as variable intermittent cause so much confusion to people learning to drive. The thinker the line, the longer between wipes, the thinner the line, the less time between wipes. No wonder I'm going bald.

Though the Ser 4 400, to some of us, looks better; less bulky etc. And anyway, we're never short of comfort or power in a Lexus are we!!?? Does the complexity of the 430 make it dearer to service (Cam belt in 400 is only (?) £450 for example)

Did I mention mine is for sale? How remiss of me!

Hi,

I am from Ireland and on my 3rd LS. I started with the LS400 and had two of them and 18 months ago moved up to a LS430 year 2001 with premium pack.

I agree with most of the comments made so far.

The LS430 is nicer inside with more modern technology. It is also faster and a lot more fuel efficient. The LS430 is going to cost you the same amount to tax here (almost €1,500) so you may as well have the extra .3 of a litre as it's free...!

I bought my LS430 at 75,000 miles and the dealer did the belts and full 95,000 mile service for me under warranty. It would have cost close to 2k. I now have 100,000 miles up and it drives like new, feels like new and is a novelty to drive every day.

My Dad has the LS460 and I switch between cars often. To be honest, there is not a HUGE difference between the feel of the cars. The do indeed look very different though!

Be smart buying in Ireland, be sure it has a full service history. These beasts do need some care with servicing and also it's worth more to you when you re-sell if it does.

Buy from a dealer with a warranty, as if something does go wrong, it will be expensive.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links