Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Satnav

i wasn driving in central london yesterday, and my satnav kept losing its position and as i didnt know where i was going i ended up driving around in circles

has this happened to anyone else? (the satnav problem, not driving round in circles :lol: )

is it due there being lots of buildings around confusing the signal or is it a problem that i should take up with the dealer?

another thing, when the side windows are wet, does opening them and closing them clear the water away cos mine does absolutely nothing which is a little frustrating at times, will the dealer do anything about that or will he simply say they aren't supposed to do that?

My sat nav sometimes does a similar thing, the motorway flyovers near Sheffield are worse, I assume because the signal can't get through. Normally sorts it self out though in a couple of minutes.

The only issue I have with mine is the time it takes to re-acquire your position after starting. The old CD based system seemed to know immediately (I'm guessing because it used the various guess-timator sensors on the car more while it acquired a GPS lock) but the new DVD system takes a couple of minutes.

Once it's acquired a GPS lock tho, it seems to be pretty reliable (even going under bridges, flyovers etc)

just been out in mine and I think this link has jinxed it. It took an age to fix a position, and even then kept loosing me.

Could it be effected by the warm weather?

On my previous IS, the (DVD based) satnav froze completely on two occasions, and got 'lost' on a number of other occasions, or had me driving thru people's front gardens! :lol: On the current car, it seems fine - acquiring its position as soon as it's switched on. Haven't used it in the last couple of days tho.... hmmm, warm weather... sunspots...? :nuke::blink:

Read an article a couple of months back claiming that the Americans had stated that they would in no way alter or interfere with the satellites in the event of war. Something along the lines of too many critical systems worldwide that would be adversely affected if they did. Don't want an oil tanker sailing into something it shouldn't now do we... ;) :P

So far as I know, the reason is as follows. The aerial is directional (on my GS it's in the back window) and when you turn it can lose some satellites and pick up others. So long as it can see three it can get an exact fix. If takes time catching up and interpolating the signals, hence the occasional freeze.

This could be the reason why they kept hitting the wrong targets in Bagdad :yawn:

You mean the war planes use Lexus SatNav ? :)

With all that friendly fire I think must be!

I don't have satnav in my IS, but the wife has it in her CR-V and it too takes about 10 seconds to get a fix when the car is started. It's never lost us although once or twice if two roads are running parallel it sometimes jumps to the other road, but sorts itself out.

the amount of wrong targets they hitting, its more like they using Ford satnav!! :lol:

Mine doesnt have any trouble with setting up at the start, its just while on the move it makes a few errors but only in central london. It must be due to all the buildings around

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links