Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

I should be going to look at a GS430 Sport tomorrow and was wondering if there is anything I need to pay attention to. I've owned my Series I GS300 Sport for over four years and had all the usual work done like ball joints etc. What are they like to run compared to the older 300s?

Dont think ive ever heard of a GS430 sport

EDIT, just found one on auto trader, first time I have seen one!!!

Good luck with the car tomorrow, just look for the usual plus the ball joints and steering wobble

I should be going to look at a GS430 Sport tomorrow and was wondering if there is anything I need to pay attention to. I've owned my Series I GS300 Sport for over four years and had all the usual work done like ball joints etc. What are they like to run compared to the older 300s?

I had my Series 1 GS300 Sport for 6 years from 85k to about 147k and apart from servicing and new discs & pads, Battery, nothing else replaced, although n/s front caliper was sticking intermittently when I traded it in. The 430 is obviously more powerful but from the research I did prior to changing, the 430 should be no more costly to run. It would appear that parts,servicing,fuel costs are pretty similar.

Maybe I was lucky with my GS300 as it had full history from new including computer printouts from 1 dealer from new and ball joints etc were all original and still spot on. I just hope my 430 proves as good.

Go for it....the only thing I miss is the stunning looks of the Series 1 Sport which was based on a design which initially was going to be a Jag.

I had my Series 1 GS300 Sport for 6 years from 85k to about 147k and apart from servicing and new discs & pads, battery, nothing else replaced, although n/s front caliper was sticking intermittently when I traded it in. The 430 is obviously more powerful but from the research I did prior to changing, the 430 should be no more costly to run. It would appear that parts,servicing,fuel costs are pretty similar.

Maybe I was lucky with my GS300 as it had full history from new including computer printouts from 1 dealer from new and ball joints etc were all original and still spot on. I just hope my 430 proves as good.

Go for it....the only thing I miss is the stunning looks of the Series 1 Sport which was based on a design which initially was going to be a Jag.

That pretty much sums up how I feel about it.

What mileage/age should the cambelt be changed?

Try a few 430s before you commit. I drove a few...1 pulled to o/s under acceleration, 1 seemed OK til I tried another which then made it appear sluggish. I didn't testdrive a Sport but mine has the Sport wheels fitted from new anyway.

Did they ever do the GS430 Sport in black?

There's a black one on autotrader so I'd say yes :)

It's on at £9,995 for a 2004 - quite a lot of car for the money I have to say. Even the new mk3 GS430s are under £20k! :o

As pointed out by others ... Usual motor checks plus ball joints and steering vibration at ~60

and obviously check ALL the gadgets/electrics (could take some time ;-))

Then sit back- find a straight stretch of road- hit the pedal and then go back to fetch your stomach ;-)

Noticed there is one Brighton area 2003 regd. 66k Silver. Thought it might have been the one.

That's the one. It's a two hour drive though, which is the closest one I've found so far.

I found the black SE but I haven't found a Series II GS430 Sport in black. I love the Series II shape in black.

Change of plan. I'm not going to look at it until Sunday now, providing they've still got it. I am concerned about the touch screen though, because my dad's LS400 is on its third one (all before my dad bought the car).

Noticed there is one Brighton area 2003 regd. 66k Silver. Thought it might have been the one.

That's the one. It's a two hour drive though, which is the closest one I've found so far.

I found the black SE but I haven't found a Series II GS430 Sport in black. I love the Series II shape in black.

There are a couple of 430 Sport on Autotrader in black. I like the black but if it also has black interior I think it makes it feel smaller inside. I was originally looking for a sport but this SE Nav drove well and wife said it "spoke" to her :unsure: . She said same about the 300 Sport which didn't put a foot wrong in 6 yrs and over 60k so hope her instincts are right this time too!

How long since your Dad has had his and also since it had last touchscreen? Is the touchscreen the same in these?

Change of plan. I'm not going to look at it until Sunday now, providing they've still got it. I am concerned about the touch screen though, because my dad's LS400 is on its third one (all before my dad bought the car).

Not a problem Ive ever come across when looking through both LOC forum and US forums (on any Lexus) so I wouldnt be overly concerned - perhaps the previous owner was using a hammer to press the screen :whistling:

Not a problem Ive ever come across when looking through both LOC forum and US forums (on any Lexus) so I wouldnt be overly concerned - perhaps the previous owner was using a hammer to press the screen :whistling:

The GS430 Sport was launched in July 2003 and came in only three colours - silver,black and canterbury blue - if you want to see a canterbury blue example, currently on the used cars on www.lexus.co.uk one is up for sale. As with other GS430's the beige leather interior came with wood around the steering wheel. The sport has different suspension to the standard GS430 and sits 25 mm lower - interestingly that's still 5mm lower than the current Mk3 GS430.

Due to the extra price difference on the GS430 sport over the standard model there are quite a few models without sat nav so that is very desirable if it does have sat nav. Also like other GS 300/430's the satnav option gives you a fuel computer etc. Having owned a 430 sport for three years now I've had the following issues which is something to look for on Sunday (in addition to the usual things like tyres, brakes etc) when you view the car:

1. Suspension - for some reason they seem to be quite prone to bushes going on the front of the car (more so than standard GS430's) so you need to drive over a sleeping policeman or other bump to listen for a knocking sound. When you drive over a bump it should be silent if you hear a knocking sound that could be bushes or something else that requires replacing especially after that many miles. This also has a big effect on handling as the car can be a bit sluggish to respond under tight conrering - worn tyres also make a massive difference to handling on this car.

2. Wheels - check for pitting and the usual lexus problems of the laquer going on them. Also check for wheel wobble between 55 - 70 - that's a common GS thing to look for on all models.

3. Inside trim piping on the drivers seat - split on the vertical and horizontal on my car yet it's only done 33k miles. Had it fixed but something to check for.

4. Also had an electric motor fail on one of the mirrors - this is a whole unit to replace so check they work normally.

5. Seatbelts - had to have mine replaced as they did not retract properly.

Apart from the above I've had no other major problems and it is a really great car to drive - ride may appear hard if you are used to the standard GS430 but the handling makes up for it and it is supposed to be a sport model after all. Hope the car is a good example.

Thanks for all the information so far.

I want to look at this car, but I really want a black Series II GS430 Sport, around a 2003 model. Where are you seeing them because I can't find any black ones?

AutoTrader. Put in national search, min price £8000, max £12000 and when they come up just refine search to black only. A 2004 black sport, 88k private sale £9995ovno. Manchester area I think. Its an 04 reg. I cant believe how much they have dropped in price. I paid more than that for mine in May....Sept 2002 45k FLSH Lexus Approved.

AutoTrader. Put in national search, min price £8000, max £12000 and when they come up just refine search to black only. A 2004 black sport, 88k private sale £9995ovno. Manchester area I think. Its an 04 reg. I cant believe how much they have dropped in price. I paid more than that for mine in May....Sept 2002 45k FLSH Lexus Approved.

Thanks! I looked at that one, but it doesn't have the Sport styling that I want.

Going back to the cambelt, is it 100,000 mile change intervals on the 430 because it's a chain instead of a belt?

100k and is a belt not a chain

Thanks! I thought it was a belt until someone I spoke to thought it might be a chain due to the high mileage intervals. I'm sure my Series I is due every 60,000 (it was already done before I got it).

I'm set to go and look tomorrow morning and I hope it turns out to be a good example.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links