Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Took my car to a garage close to work today for its service and to replace a VSV for the ACIS - after I got a P1651 diagnostic code a few weeks ago. Car was running fine under normal driving - just gave the fault when the ACIS was supposed to kick in at ~4800 revs - so I hadnt rushed to get it done.

Valve isnt easy to get at - and you have to take the manifold off to get to it.

Collected the car this evening - All seemed ok when I collected - But about 20 miles down the road I stopped at a junction - and felt the car judder a bit - similar to a missfire - every couple of seconds.

Carried on - car seems to drive ok when your moving (although there does seem to be a slight delay (like turbo lag) when I give it a bit of throttle - Its not so responsive.

Few more junctions and similar happens at all - only seems to be getting worse.

40 miles later, I pulled onto my drive - Car now shaking and the revs wobbling about all over the place between 400 and 1100 - Sometimes sounds like its about to stall - then manages to recover. Lifted the bonnet and and the engine is shaking about all over the place.

No MIL light on (which surprises me) - Any thoughts what the problem could be? Air leak somewhere? - Manifold gasket not sealed?

With the garage 40 miles away from home - its not just a matter of popping there with it - luckily dont need to do any driving at the weekend so can wait until Monday when I go to work - Just hoping the car will get me there ok.

Seems to be one thing after another at the moment - Not sure how much longer I can put up with probs - Hopefully its not a new problem and something the garage has done wrong.....but if it is....think its time to get rid as I seem to be jinxed with Lexi (what is the plural of lexus ;-) LS wrote off (I was lucky not to have been killed) after losing control due to a diesel spillage on a corner - and my GS seems to be one thing after the next.

With fuel costs soaring and the government trying to do everything they can to take us back to the dark ages where everyone walked everywhere this is just another nail in the coffin.....

I do 400 miles a week just to get to work and back....need something that isnt jinxed :o(((

Edit: To top this off - Ive posted in the LS section iso the GS section - Could a mod pls move for me?

Edited by Mark W

Was it the inlet manifold that was removed Mark??

If it was the inlet mate, get a can of carb cleaner and spray it around the manifold jointing face and see what happens, If it is leaking the carb cleaner will show it up, you'll have to spray quite a bit on while its running in a lumpy state but you'll soon know by the engines reaction as it will pick up then go lumpy again as the carb cleaner evaporates :)

To take the inlet manifold off there is an awful lot you have to take apart and dismantle. The symptoms you describe can be due to not pulling in all the injector plugs, unplugged spark plug coil, other lose electrical connector, loose vacuum hose, or leaking intake manifold or throttle boddy gaskets. If the cars is say 7 years+ old and they just re-used the old throttle body and intake manifold gaskets either one could be leaking. At that age once you take it off, often the only way to get a tight seal again is to use a new gasket.

Since it has happened just after its been into the garage I would call them and get them to deal with it rather than spending your own time trying to trouble shoot a whole range of possible causes.

Thanks for the replies gents.....just been to let off some steam and clear my head at Karate ;o))

I would have driven back tonight when prob first started - but I'd collected the car just as they were closing - so knew there would be no point.

I'll try and call them tomorrow morning incase they are open and see what they say. If not, then not a problem waiting until Monday as had planned the weekend at home anyway.

Chris - Garage is in Nuneaton - I'm not working in Stoke anymore - I've used them a few times before for my previous cars and the wifes. Several people at work also use them and they have got a good reputation locally.

If it is an air leak - will it do any damage driving (assuming it will drive ok) 40 miles?

Thanks again...

In the interests of closing off the post....

Garage had used the old gaskets - They've inspected today and determined thats where the air leak is (using aztec's suggested method by the sounds of it)

So 3 new gaskets on order - (2 x lower manifold/cylinder head + 1 x T.B/Manifold) - due in Weds.....then I'll have my car back ;)

:offtopic: saw 3 GS's on my short walk (~1 mile) between work and the garage

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links