Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Advice To A Newbie - Possible Purchase

Hi all, i would appreciate some expert advice on a Lexus 220d i have a chance to buy.

I have read various posts and see there are potentially a few problems with them!!!

So basically I have the chance to buy a Silver Lexus 220d, registered Ocober 2006, 49500 miles, 1 owner and a full lexus service history.

The car itself is in very good condition, there are a few minor stractches and a small dent on the passengers door which will be easily fixed. The car is registered to where I work and belonged to my manager so I know the full history of the car from new.

They are looking to sell the car for £9750, which to me seems to be quite a good price.

I know that it is high mileage but I only drive 3 miles a day to work and back so over a couple of years it will probably even itself out.

So, your thoughts and comments, particularly on the price and things i need to lookout for would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Paul

check that the clutch has not got any judder at the bite point in first if so lexus will change under warranty along with the fly wheel.the warranty is up soon and i would suggest that you get a motor engineer to check it over and any faults that are found get it in quick under warranty.

check that the clutch has not got any judder at the bite point in first if so lexus will change under warranty along with the fly wheel.the warranty is up soon and i would suggest that you get a motor engineer to check it over and any faults that are found get it in quick under warranty.

10K is a competitive market...brand new vectra for £9995 :duh:

With the diesel it appears you either love it or hate it. I had one for a few days and it was nothing special. I think the best thing you can do is ask to borrow it for a day and do some miles in it......just watch out when you pull out at that busy junction :o

I personally wouldn't recommend a diesel for such short mileage - it could lead to issues further down the line as the car is unlikely to reach optimal running temperature at all. Diesels have turbos - which need a good flow of [fresh] oil to circulate through them, with such journeys I doubt the oil will be able to circulate and lubricate - plus you'll see little mileage benefit - go for a petrol IMHO.

If it has been serviced well and is having the 50k service done prior to you getting it, then don't just discount it...take it for a long drive, and do all of your homework;

Warm it up, reset the trip. It should give you 27-32 mpg in town over a 10 mile town only crunch; reset the trip and take it on a dual carriageway. The steering should be "pointy" and crisp - and the clutch should be sharp as dgman says...

It should average 42-45 mpg on a run at 65 mpg in 5th over 10 or so miles - and listen out for creaks from the dash. 2006 car is ripe for poor dash padding and centre console creaks and groans, especially where your left leg rests on the console...

If the car feels very sluggish, or the MPG is worse than what I've stated just walk away! That's the simple advice. At the price it is good, but go to Cargiant and you'll probably get one with 20k, petrol Auto for arund £12k on a '56 plate...I know which I'd take..the petrol one everytime!

If it is a Oct2006 with 50k, then it has 10000 miles and 1 years worth of warranty. That is worth a lot...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links