Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Auto Or Manual

norlec

Hi all

New member just signed up hope I am doing this correctly but I am in the process of buying a 2000 IS200 SE and would like your advice on an auto box or 6 speed manual,as in most things I did a google on it but it was not much help so I have come to the experts for help

Thanks

Norman :winky:

Guest inicol63
Hi all

New member just signed up hope I am doing this correctly but I am in the process of buying a 2000 IS200 SE and would like your advice on an auto box or 6 speed manual,as in most things I did a google on it but it was not much help so I have come to the experts for help

Thanks

Norman :winky:

Hi Norman,

Sorry but that is your choice as both vehicles are very good, it is going to be down to what you want to drive.

Auto is a very good gear box but will not give you quite the same returns on MPG.

These cars are very good all round so check on history and check on cambelt these need changing every 60,000 miles.

Welcome to the club

Ian

If you're asking whether there is one transmission type to steer clear of on the IS200, then I don't think there is, there are people like myself who love their manual gearboxes, and others with autos who are equally keen on those. It's personal choice, as has been said, go for whichever one you prefer driving.

One other consideration is that the Sport model only comes in manual. The Sport model hasn't exactly got huge changes from the SE though, so that shouldn't be a major issue.

Thanks great info

My merc had manual and the forum said you should never buy a merc with a manual box but my fuel consumption was a lot better than the auto because I have had both so was able to compare them

Lexus's are like Mercs, the autos are worth quite a bit more than the manuals come resale time. I've got an IS200 auto, it's not the best gearbox in the world with regard to performance, the auto is quite a bit slower than the manual and hurts economy too - only get around 21mpg around town, but it is smooth and comfortable.

If going for an auto and budget allows, the IS300 auto makes a lot more sense as there isn't a lot in it economy wise but there's such a big difference between the two cars otherwise..........

Guest inicol63

I have a auto IS200 I get between 28 -30 mpg and more on a run.

However i also have a SC430 and get 24 mpg on that.

Lexus are not that good on the return on the mpg, but you can not win then all lol...

I've only ever driven manual cars, so went for an IS200 Sport Manual. I love the car but the gearchange can be a bit notchy round town. The main problem is going from 1st to 2nd where it can crunch slightly. I've managed to adjust my gearchanges to get rid of this (basically you need to shift slowly and move the lever gently), but even so it's not perfect.

I think in a lot of ways the auto box might suit the IS200 better, but the fuel economy doesn't look great from what I've read on here.

Economy on my manual car is not bad for an IS200, and personally I prefer shifting manually, when I get my car on an open road the close ratio box and smooth engine make it great fun to drive quickly :)

I think you'll be ok whatever you decide, just down to what your priorities are really - I certainly don't think the manual box will be any worse than a Merc as they're not known for good manual boxes!

Lexus's are like Mercs, the autos are worth quite a bit more than the manuals come resale time.

I can understand that on the bigger Lexus models like the LS, but is that really the case on the IS ?

I didn't realise how big the difference was until another member on here was p/exing his IS200 for an IS250 - was offered £1000 more because they originally thought it was an auto...........

I didn't realise how big the difference was until another member on here was p/exing his IS200 for an IS250 - was offered £1000 more because they originally thought it was an auto...........

I read that post too but wasn't sure if it was a bit of a sharp excuse on the salesmans part. Even if that car was an auto I can't see an IS200 being worth 9.5k on trade in with the tax situation being what it is at the moment. Was it not just an excuse to drop the trade in value, given that it's probably dropped a load in the last month with things being the way they are.

I read that post too but wasn't sure if it was a bit of a sharp excuse on the salesmans part. Even if that car was an auto I can't see an IS200 being worth 9.5k on trade in with the tax situation being what it is at the moment. Was it not just an excuse to drop the trade in value, given that it's probably dropped a load in the last month with things being the way they are.

£2.5k was the discount off the new car, so it was actually £7k for the auto IS200 (coming to think of it, I think it was £5k for the manual so the difference was £2k!)

Normally I'd say yes, but I know the salesman (AJ at Edgware Road) and he's a really decent guy, doesn't play those sorts of games..........I might actually drop my auto in one day and see how much he offers me for it :winky:

Thanks guys what a great forum (loads of reply's and information) I have decided to go for the GS300 Sport because now is a good time to buy these very classy cars and I know they only do an auto which I prefer anyway and I am going for the post 1999 with the 5 speed.

I will keep you updated and put some piccys on and know I am going to have a great time with all you guys,I was going to go for a BMW until I found out what a most unreliable car they are worse than the Mercs,The forum was pathetic to be honest no replies to my questions and looking through the forum some very sarcastic people on there not what I am looking for.

Norman

Hi,

got offered 5K and 2.5K off the new one... total 7.5K for my 53 plate IS 200 LE ( I think I got a little more than I should but I think that's because it had a full Lex service history and apart from scuffs on the alloys the car needed no other work done... oh and it was low miles 37,064 when I handed it over yesterday.

A.J is a decent sales man.... he asked me to pop in a couple of weeks so I can meet him. He wasn't in when it came to the handover....

although he did call me from home just to apologise....

He offered me a full tank of fuel just for the effort... might take him up for a free tank of juice....

but overall you do pay a little more for the auto over a manual....

Looks like a good buy....

I would go down and test drive the car before forking out the full wack.....

Oh why is the seller SHOUTING...... HE'S NOT BARRY SCOTT

Yes as you say I will be test driving it first but in all fairness he has told me to use it for a day to make sure I am happy with it

Hi all again

Before I finally pay for the car which is a January 1999 GS300 Sport I am not sure if the 5 speed gearbox was put in yet I did ask the seller and his reply was Quote: Hi Norman

I'm a 100% certain

the car is a 5 speed as you can select 4,3,2 on the gearbox, but

I'm not with the car at the mo.

HE also said

The remote keyfob has the shortest range in the world, still works but you nearly have to press your face through the side window for it to work.

Is this normal for these cars or is there a problem that could be expensive to put right.

Norman

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links