Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Thinking Of Buying An Is200

Hello all, I am looking at buying an is200. Can anyone tell me specific things to check/look out for apart from the usual wear and tear. Also what are running costs like for parts, tyres etc?

Cheers guys

Quite a large topic!

Running costs:

- no IS is economical, mine is a manual IS200 and I get about 28mpg which is mostly urban and A-road driving.

- they can really eat tyres because the geometry is wrong, so budget to take it to Wheels In Motion and get that fixed

- cambelt every 60k/6yrs

- on the plus side, they're very reliable so don't need much spending on them usually.

For a buying guide, look here:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/knowledge...ndex_v1&c=5

The IS 200 is a nice car.... Built well

I bought one back in 2004.. during this time it gave me no problems at all... in four years I needed to change one brake light....

Although I would defin get the GEO done if you get one..... mine went through tyres like there was no tomorrow.... but then I didn't know about the friendly people on LOC... so had no advice.

One bad thing is that the econ rate is not great....

When purchasing one check on CAM belt change etc... if done or required. Also make sure if still fitted that CD is working order...

Missing from the knowledge base article (I sent in a comment a while back but it hasn't showed up) but very important is to check that you get at least one "master" key with the car.

Without a master key you can't programme any more keys, potentially meaning if you lose the other key(s) you will have a *very* big bill to get any more (new ECU required).

To check if a key is a master, put it into the ignition and watch the flashing "Security" light on the dashboard. If it immediately turns off when you put the key in, it's a master key. If the Security light comes on for a couple of seconds when you put the key in, it is not a master key.

Missing from the knowledge base article (I sent in a comment a while back but it hasn't showed up) but very important is to check that you get at least one "master" key with the car.

Without a master key you can't programme any more keys, potentially meaning if you lose the other key(s) you will have a *very* big bill to get any more (new ECU required).

To check if a key is a master, put it into the ignition and watch the flashing "Security" light on the dashboard. If it immediately turns off when you put the key in, it's a master key. If the Security light comes on for a couple of seconds when you put the key in, it is not a master key.

That is a good point, probably the biggest risk with buying the car!

yeh the master key has 3 buttons on it :- open, lock and the boot release the other key has 2 buttons and is more of a valet key as it wont unlock the boot or the glove box if IIRC and is meant for when you have it serviced or for secure parking for example :)

That's not a reliable guide though, for example I've got a three-button key that's a master, and another three-button key that isn't a master. So if I lost the master and sold the car to someone they might think they've still got a master key when the haven't.

The only reliable way to tell that I'm aware of is the security light check. Relying on the number of buttons could be an expensive mistake :winky:

yeh the master key has 3 buttons on it :- open, lock and the boot release the other key has 2 buttons and is more of a valet key as it wont unlock the boot or the glove box if IIRC and is meant for when you have it serviced or for secure parking for example :)

That's not a reliable guide though, for example I've got a three-button key that's a master, and another three-button key that isn't a master. So if I lost the master and sold the car to someone they might think they've still got a master key when the haven't.

The only reliable way to tell that I'm aware of is the security light check. Relying on the number of buttons could be an expensive mistake :winky:

Steve if you have a look at the owners guide on page 8 it tells you about the keys, and says the 3 button keys are the master keys which will operate all the locks and is used by the lexus dealer to reproduce a new key, And the 2 button with wireless remote function, (the sub key) will not open the trunk or the glovebox :whistling: so maybe your other 3 button key is not programmed to the system?? :unsure:

Steve if you have a look at the owners guide on page 8 it tells you about the keys, and says the 3 button keys are the master keys which will operate all the locks and is used by the lexus dealer to reproduce a new key and the 2 button with wireless remote function, (the sub key) will not open the trunk or the glovebox :whistling: so maybe your other 3 button key is not programmed to the system?? :unsure:

It might be that when they come from the factory all the 3-button keys are indeed masters, but who knows what happens along the way in the life of a car (e.g. problems, possible key reprogrammings by dealers etc) ?

I'm not sure that the manual is correct on that in terms of all 3-button keys always being masters. I programmed my 3-button key off my master key but I don't believe that itself it can be used to programme others.

Steve if you have a look at the owners guide on page 8 it tells you about the keys, and says the 3 button keys are the master keys which will operate all the locks and is used by the lexus dealer to reproduce a new key and the 2 button with wireless remote function, (the sub key) will not open the trunk or the glovebox :whistling: so maybe your other 3 button key is not programmed to the system?? :unsure:

It might be that when they come from the factory all the 3-button keys are indeed masters, but who knows what happens along the way in the life of a car (e.g. problems, possible key reprogrammings by dealers etc) ?

I'm not sure that the manual is correct on that in terms of all 3-button keys always being masters. I programmed my 3-button key off my master key but I don't believe that itself it can be used to programme others.

Yeh mate probably does depend on having the original set of keys with the car? the manual is probably correct as its for the original keys and not the copy's that are made at a later date? But as long as there is one 3 button key maybe a dealer could use it to duplicate another?? but not too sure mate :unsure: :)

I get all confused when the subject of master keys come up, I have 2x 3 button keys. I take it I am in the clear ?

Probably. But to be absolutely sure, watch the Security light when you put the key into the ignition (when you insert it, before you turn it). If it goes off immediately then I believe that's a master key, if it lights up for a second and then goes off it's not a master. This seems to tie in with what others have said in the sticky thread on key programming too.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links