Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Snooper Radar Detectors

MsW

Doing some research on these things, came to the conclusion that a Snooper S6 neo is the one for us.

HOWEVER - the man in the auto accessories shop says they've had problems with the modem.

Was he trying to put us off as he doesn't stock them - or is there a grain of truth?

Knowing what you know, which one would you buy?

Thanks

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having been Lazered and stopped and advised of intention to prosicute 13 days ago I am thinking also about such a device...

My research had LED me to the £199.95 Snooper SD 715 IS from Motorworld.

I quote:

protection against all forms of speed detection by utilising the unique 5 band detection system..... inead for the serious motorist

at 45k a year I consider myself the "serious motorist" and think I can justify this expense.

Am I being cheap or is taking the gamble on a system thats £150 more worth the risk? DOnt think Snooper will pay my bills if its "new technology" fails and I loose my earner...

Call me a sceptic but, I depend on my licence to work pretty much so its not an option to get it wrong. at the end of the day I've done 120000 miles without capture so I cant complain but I think its time to take a little extra precaution....

Loz

In Southampton new cameras have been erected on the main dual carriageways going from Bitterne into the city . The speed limit is 30 mph.

I went into the city a few days ago and all the cars are now bunching and as one of the roads is down a hill its a case of constant braking. I would not call this effective road safety but an axample of the indirect taxation which is being forced upon us.

Some may lose their jobs through the totting up procedures if caught.

Loz, I had a snooper 815 and it drove me mad, was beeping all the time at anything, office/shop doors, traffic lights when I changed cars I didn't bother putting it in the new one.

I think the only way to go is to get one of the GPS units, I know they don't all pick up laser/radar but some of the newer units do.

CHeers Ricky,

Hows that gorgeous Merc of yours doing?

I hear you on the "around town" interference thing. reckon they are only really helpfull on the open road. anyone breaking limits in built up areas where there are shops and thus pedestrians deserves to get their colar felt. I am only really interested on the motorway detection as its there that I tend to need the prompt to watch my speed.

Anyone else agree or disagree.

Speeding around town is for 17 yr olds who dont know how unpleasent going to jail and having your sh*t pushed in really is. I hear its not so good so I respect the law...

Loz

I agree with Ricky.

I stopped using my Snooper as it gave so many false alarms that I began to ignore it - kinda defeating the object.

I have an Origin Blue-I unit now - much better

Neither machines are very good at hidden / mobile cameras though - got 9 flippin points to prove it!

I'd be happy to get a S5R ... cos there proven technology..

The 6 is a bit new for my liking, I prefer things that I've heard good things about...

Just my 2 cents :P

Ian.

Hi, Ian

I think that's the one Zee has - I saw it in his car on Sunday.

BUT the S6 neo seems all-singing all-dancing.

Definitely need something of that ilk - sooner rather than after I lose my license!!

Linda

Hi, Ian

I think that's the one Zee has - I saw it in his car on Sunday.

BUT the S6 neo seems all-singing all-dancing.

Definitely need something of that ilk - sooner rather than after I lose my license!!

Linda

It is indeed Linda - and I thought long and hard about which one to opt for out of the S5-R and the S6 NEO. I find that the S5-R suits me as I do A road driving, and don't pick up many false alarms. I also have found that when in London, it has warned me fine (and saved my licence many a time already).

I'm sure I will also purchase a GPS one in the next year or two as SPEC cameras become more popular, but it's horses for courses...

I agree, we should do a 'group buy' of the snoopers...

... how much extra is the 6 over the 5R...

I dunno which one Zee has??

Also, I know the S5R has a 'city mode' to prevent false alarms in built up areas :D

Also, I know the S5R has a 'city mode' to prevent false alarms in built up areas :D

S5-R around £250

S6 Neo around £450

I have the S5-R and it has 3 "logic" modes to reduce false alarms...

Hi Zee

It was the SPECS facility that made us think about the S6 neo - there are loads on the M62 up here.

Most of my driving is motorway, so that may just swing the decision in favour of the GPS.

One question though - unmarked cars following - will anything pick that up? Saw a dark IS nicked today - by plod, eastbound M62.

Linda

Also, I know the S5R has a 'city mode' to prevent false alarms in built up areas  :D

S5-R around £250

S6 Neo around £450

I have the S5-R and it has 3 "logic" modes to reduce false alarms...

Best price I've found online for S6 neo is £349

As you know... I aint the most knowledgable bloke on the planet...

What the hell is SPECS (cops wearing glasses????)

Bloody hell, Ian - those cameras that take an average speed over a given distance

Called specs because they look like a pair of binoculars

Linda

Oh... the digital system... yeah we got those on the M3...

Didn't know they were called SPECS though! :P

BTW... did you hear that a court ruling has overturned the fact that Static speed cameras have to be visable...

So be prepared to spot hidden grey cameras again :angry:

Hi Zee

It was the SPECS facility that made us think about the S6 neo - there are loads on the M62 up here.

Most of my driving is motorway, so that may just swing the decision in favour of the GPS.

One question though - unmarked cars following - will anything pick that up? Saw a dark IS nicked today - by plod, eastbound M62.

Linda

They should both pick up a copper who is "laser" gunning you and tracking you speed - in theory anyway... Don't forget though - a copper has to tail you for AT LEAST a 1/4 mile with you doing over the speed limit to be caught.

They should both also pick up the hand gun speed traps often set up by our friendly bobbys.... :yawn:

And 350 is very cheap - is that inc VAT and delivery? I may be tempted.... :shifty:

Yes, Zee,

I did a Google search for them and that was the best price - and included a 3-way splitter for your cigarette lighter socket (I'm sure you'd find a use for that :blush: ) and a non-slip mat for the dash plus free p&p

I gave the info to Matt - what's the chance he can find it..... ;)

I'll have a look....

Linda

Yes, Zee,

I did a Google search for them and that was the best price - and included a 3-way splitter for your cigarette lighter socket (I'm sure you'd find a use for that  :blush: ) and a non-slip mat for the dash plus free p&p

I gave the info to Matt - what's the chance he can find it.....  ;)

I'll have a look....

Linda

yep - that's the site i bought my S5-R from.... and its 439 for the S6 on there isn't it......? :huh:

I thought when a copper was tailing you they used a 'passive time lapse system'???

i.e. no lasers or radars, just time/distance?

you maybe right Ian - however, the only way your snoopers would pick up a copper tailing you is if they were using a laser... if not, then you're in trouble...... :ph34r:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links