Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tom Tom

Hi Guys, im buying a new sat nav soon and as i hate cables showing so my plan was to maybe position the sat nav on the centre shelf, run the cable down behind the stereo and under the centre console and wire it into the cig lighter.

what you think? is it possible to wire into the cig lighter and if so how?

Well i've just run the wire up the back of the vent and out a little hole in the side of the top vent i made, then just stick my tom tom to the window above it and plug in.

Basically you need to remove the stereo etc, then find the wires for the radio (or just keep going down to the cigar lighter if its easier, remove the plug, connect the red wire to the positive, black to the negative/earth, tape it up so its all safe and reinstall everything.

at work at the mo so no pics, will try and get something sorrted later on.

Stav

i do agree with that, and it really winds me up that i have to think about that. im trying to think of the best way of doing it. i dont like the idea of sticking to the window, unless i clean the window everytime i get out as thieves look for the sticky ring too,

i do agree with that, and it really winds me up that i have to think about that. im trying to think of the best way of doing it. i dont like the idea of sticking to the window, unless i clean the window everytime i get out as thieves look for the sticky ring too,

I was just gonna mention the ring as well lol. I'm not too sure what other options u've got tbh mate. I've been debating what to do with my camera detector when I get my car on the road as wanna hard wire it like ur doing with ur sat nav but seeing as ur thread has answered my questions I may just stick with only the hardwire and leave the rest of it removeable. My camera detector is a microfuzion fz1 btw which has a magnetic mount which sticks onto the dash then the detector is just placed on the mount.

its a bit of a pain, i was thinking that with the desktop dock, people might not realise what it is, could look like a fancy air freshener lol. would look good too if it was fixed in place so you could just slide the sat nav into place. tis a tough decision lol

Do you mean the desk dock?

I wonder if you could wire that to power the satnav. I think it comes with a USB connection so I'm not sure how that would work.

Plus how secure would it be? Do you know if the satnav might navigate itself across the dashboard when you take a sharp turn?

Have TomTom's changed now? The one I've got (which is a couple of years old now) has the GPS antenna in the windscreen mount, so if it's not connected to that it doesn't get a GPS signal.

Worth checking before installing anything in the car.

i have the new tomtom dock mounted to the dash tray.the standard mount does come with usb connection but i got hold of an incar charger and if you take the bottom of the usb dock you can replace the connection with the incar connection.with a little modding.remove the dash tray and sit the home dock base plate on top and drill 2 holes.one for the cable one to pass a bolt through to secure it all.build the dock back up with the long bolt attatched and mount it to the tray.if you elongate the hole for the cable you will be able to swivel the tomtom to where you want it.wire the cable to a live which comes on with ignition (fused) the other to earth(car body).fin.i put a window cleaning rag on top of dock to deter the criminals.just check with ya insurance that your sat nav is covered.cheers

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links