Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Kompressor?

According to wikipedia:

Early manufacturers of turbochargers referred to them as "turbosuperchargers". A supercharger is an air compressor used for forced induction of an engine. Logically then, adding a turbine to turn the supercharger would yield a "turbosupercharger". However, the term was soon shortened to "turbocharger". This is now a source of confusion, as the term "turbosupercharged" is sometimes used to refer to an engine that uses both a crankshaft-driven supercharger and an exhaust-driven turbocharger.

Some companies such as Teledyne Continental Motors still use the term turbosupercharger in its original sense. For the purposes of this article, the more modern terms turbocharger and turbo are used.

Not sure how true it is but explains the overlap in names more :)

I was told by a mechanic the are all the same, just a different way of getting the same result, but superchargers lost popularity because of the extra strain they put on the engine, therefore loosing overall power.

I would still rather have a supercharger than a turbo in my IS though, they look to be more "engine internals" friendly TBH.

Talking of turbos and superchargers, has anyone seen a vehicle fitted with a "Comprex pressurewave" supercharger, I seem to remember mention of them many years ago, but have never seen one in use... They were both belt driven and exhaust driven, giving the instant effect of a Supercharger and the efficiency of a turbo supercharger... Yep I still call them that just to confuse young people...

I guess that they fell by the way side, just like 42 volt electrical systems :sad:

Why does that always happen? It's like that golf that was a 1.4 ltr engine that is both supercharged and turbocharged..........Why not do it with a 2 ltr engine in the new Scirocco or something and make it more interesting..........

Cos VW would only be able to sell it in Audi's. It would have to be 300+ bhp for the application of the technology to be worth it. They can allready get 260 (Chippable to 310BHP) BHP with just a turbo.

The whole idea of the 1.4TSI engine was to get the same power as the 2.3V5 out of a 1.4 for emmisions and fuel consumption figures. Also apparently, haven't driven one myself, the Twin Charged engines are quite jerky in their power delivery.

In the late '80s Nissan made a Micra with both a supercharger and a turbo charger. Something about they wanted to go 1600 rallying with the micra, but rather than building a 1600 engined Micra, they reduced the capacity of the 1ltr to 930cc or something (superchargers have a capactity multiplyier of 1.6 according to the article I read). Only made a few for homolagation and only sold in Japan.

2951257f.jpg

Gazza

In the late '80s Nissan made a Micra with both a supercharger and a turbo charger. Something about they wanted to go 1600 rallying with the micra, but rather than building a 1600 engined Micra, they reduced the capacity of the 1ltr to 930cc or something (superchargers have a capactity multiplyier of 1.6 according to the article I read). Only made a few for homolagation and only sold in Japan.

2951257f.jpg

Gazza

reputedly there are around four in this country

and the bloke around the corner from me has 2 of them :o

they are quite quick as well :crybaby:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links