Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Clutch Upgrade

Rob's Lexx

Hi guys, in need of something extra for the car as it feels like its been a while :lol::whistling:

Thinking about getting an uprated clutch as heard a lot of good things about them. Firstly, wondering what the main benefit is?? I had a spin in Lee Iceman's car a good while back and it had an uprated clutch and felt a lot more 'responsive' and i think it'll compliment the short shifter i have fitted.....

Secondly, what would you guys reccomend?? I don't want anything too track orientated, as its a daily driver for me. So has to be easy to live with. i've heard good things about Exedy and Helix, but dunno how these compare??

Finally, i doubt the answer is a yes, but, will an IS300 clutch fit the IS200?? I ask as there's a load in the US going for good money so thought i could pick up a bargain when i'm over there in a couple weeks.

cheers in advance

might be worth waiting a little while and dropping stav a pm as hes trying a spec clutch he got from the US. Theres been loads of good press about them on other forums dont know anyone who's got them on the is200 as there advertised for altezza, but spec say that all you need to change is the release bearing for a standard IS200 one. Only thing is the £ isnt as strong as it was so you'll pay a little more than stav did but he got hes bloooomin cheap.

any benefits in changing to lightened flywheel??

how much would i be looking at ellz for a similar clutch?? i guess i could use my current release bearing in a spec clutch then? or just buy another from lexus??

are they easy to fit out of interest??

yea, avoiding paddle clutches as heard they were a bit too harsh.

any benefits in changing to lightened flywheel??

how much would i be looking at ellz for a similar clutch?? i guess i could use my current release bearing in a spec clutch then? or just buy another from lexus??

are they easy to fit out of interest??

yea, avoiding paddle clutches as heard they were a bit too harsh.

I would say getting a new one would be best, not sure what he paid for it, but he was darn pleased with the price. You need clutch alignment tools so might be best to ge ta garage to do it.

Lightened flywheel will allow the car to rev easier but can be a little harder to pull away as the flywheel has less energy to keep spinning when engaging the clutch.

I guess changing the flywheel could stop clutch judder too - I find it quite hard to pull away in my car without getting clutch judder, it has a dual mass flywheel I think?

I'm not sure i would have thought i heavier flywheel would have smoothed out any judders better than a lighter one, but in combination with a new upgraded clutch judder might not be an issue anyway

Hey mate,

yeah i've ordered the Spec stage 2 clutch, think it worked out $444 dollars including delivery, but got stung £70 import charges. still that was cheap.

The stage 2 is basically a full face (compared to a paddle) but with Kevlar facings. from what i've read thats a step up from Organic (like the Helix).

You could go one more to a stage 2+ which is Carbon/Kevlar, but the Kevlar one is good enough for me as it can stand 278lb/ft of torque. (mines just over 200 at the moment)

It's getting fitted at Charlesworth on Monday so i'll let you know over the next couple of weeks how it feels.

Stav

Hey mate,

yeah i've ordered the Spec stage 2 clutch, think it worked out $444 dollars including delivery, but got stung £70 import charges. still that was cheap.

The stage 2 is basically a full face (compared to a paddle) but with Kevlar facings. from what i've read thats a step up from Organic (like the Helix).

You could go one more to a stage 2+ which is Carbon/Kevlar, but the Kevlar one is good enough for me as it can stand 278lb/ft of torque. (mines just over 200 at the moment)

It's getting fitted at Charlesworth on Monday so i'll let you know over the next couple of weeks how it feels.

Stav

Cheers stav :) did they mark its as a gift ?

Hey mate,

Stav

hey up stav, cheers for that info matey.

have you got a link to the supplier you used?? i may try chasing one up ahead of my trip over. I'm in the states until the end of the year, so plenty of time to hear your feedback matey ;)

are they a heavy piece of kit?? i gotta lug it back with me so will be needing to bear that in mind. also, which model/type have you gone for because the IS200 isn't over in the US, just IS300 and Altezza i guess. I presume its the altezza clutch and as Ellz said, just a new IS200 clutch release bearing?? PM me if you prefer matey.

just trying to make a shopping list before i go, but not really sure what to buy, lol. there's loads of random bits and pieces out there, just a case of finding something that catches my eye. lol.

just here mate: http://www.specclutch.com/

It wasnt marked as a gift AFAI remember though he said he would (though to be honest the guy i was emailing was away when it got sent).

Its not that heavy but prob about 10kilos i think. and yeah i got the altezza one.

Stav

cheers mate.

just had a look and when clicking on altezza, it says the torque capacity of the stage 2 kit is 420 :unsure:

might drop them an email and take it from there.

who does flywheels for the IS?? is there any risk with fitting both flywheel and uprated clutch on the standard TTE setup?? the flywheel won't effect boost will it??

I had the same clutch as lee & Prolex lightened flywheel, no problems at all :D

did the flywheel upgrade make much of a difference mate???

Well Duncan had it fitted 1st, im sure if you look for some of Duncan's old posts when he 1st had it fitted he did say it felt lost better, when i got the car it needed new clutch so hard to tell really Rob.

just here mate: http://www.specclutch.com/

It wasnt marked as a gift AFAI remember though he said he would (though to be honest the guy i was emailing was away when it got sent).

Its not that heavy but prob about 10kilos i think. and yeah i got the altezza one.

Stav

Stav, are you 100% sure its for the Altezza ? as i dont think thay have the Altezza in the USA ? so why would thay stock the Altezza clutch ? or did thay just get you one ?

yep, they stock altezza clutches. but ur right gord, only seen maybe 1 or 2 tezza's over there in the past 7 years i've been visiting my folks over there. see loads of IS300's though........

let us know how it pans out stav. when u getting it fitted??? monday as well??

From Helix's website:

IS 200 2.0 ltr

1999--> Road 60-2326 70-3600 40-4239 29 x 21T

And taking the cover plate code and faced plate it only recommends a max torque of 180lb/ft and the next level up is a 4paddle ceramettalic so no good for daily drives i've been told. So trying a Kevlar full faced one from SPEC.

From Helix's website:
IS 200 2.0 ltr

1999--> Road 60-2326 70-3600 40-4239 29 x 21T

And taking the cover plate code and faced plate it only recommends a max torque of 180lb/ft and the next level up is a 4paddle ceramettalic so no good for daily drives i've been told. So trying a Kevlar full faced one from SPEC.

hmm, so not actually suited for an s/c'd IS then?? seems odd as there's a few with em?? :unsure:

Helix organic clutch is excellent and should be more than what you need for the s/c

thanks for ur input matey. in what way do u mean its excellent?? just trying to get a feel for whats out there and cost etc....

It can easily handle the power of the s/c and more. Also it feels OEM if not better, plus not expensive. If your staying with the s/c and maybe adding a few hp onto that then you wont find much better than the Helix organic clutch.

Only reason I changed to a cerametalic clutch was because I burnt the organic one abusing launch control.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links