Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hiya

We've just been to look at a 51 GS430, black/black, base spec, 76,000 at a Toyota dealer. Nice car, better looking in the metal than I expected, no cosmetic issues apart from one or two light scuffs and some fairly corroded alloys (nice 5 spoke 17s, standard I assume). Under the bonnet there was some very superficial corrosion around the strut mounts, same underneath around the silencers.

Looks like a FSH with Lexus/Toyota, we'ree getting it confirmed via a VIN search at the neighbouring Lexus dealer.

We've agreed new MOT, two front tyres, full valet. Forgot full alignment & tracking (doh) but will mention it Monday.

Only slight doubts were no history other than service book i.e. no invoices, old MOTs, tax discs, etc. etc. HPI chcked though, two owners. Also, the engine warning light was on, which the dealer said he thought may be because the Battery had run flat earlier in the week due to an interior light being left on and the ECU hasn't been reset since but he'd get it sorted. Also only two keys and I think there should be three? One had a full set of buttons but the other only had two, guess it's the valet key?

On the road it was smooth, quiet, powerful, comfy, all the things a Lexus should be. Steering was weightier and with better feedback than I'd expected given all the "not a beemer/Merc" stuff I've read. All switches do what they're supposed to, the aircon got hot and cold, the seats got hot, the stereo got loud, etc.

They're asking £5k, I think they just want it shifted. They seem to turnover a lot of cars at sensible money even though times are tight. Staff were friendly and unpushy but appeared not to know much about it. Frankly even in this climate I'm inclined to bite their arm off and drop a deposit on them on Monday provided the history checks out and the master key is one of the two they have.

What say you oh knowledgable ones? :)

Thanks,

Paul

The engine management light could hide an expensive bill, if they just re-set it and say "there are no faults"

to you and it comes back on in a months time ........... who gets the bill ?

I would want to go into the workshop when the fault code is read and make a note of the number, then come

back and post the fault code up so we can see what it is.... then get it in writing if that code comes back anytime

in the next 3 months they will do the repair for free.

The reason they don't know much about it IMO is that it is a trade in, and won't get touched by the dealership

next door due to age, plus that engine light.

There is a nice Platinum ICE one for sale on here for a similar price, well worth looking at IMO.

TAKE A LOOK HERE looks a real bargain :D

To ProLex: To be fair I think he was scrabbling for an answer rather than trying to be deliberately misleading. I guess it could be anyone of several hundred fault codes and we'll need the Lexus dealer to tell us the score.

Thinking about the key issue the one I tried opened the boot so I guess that's a master.

Hadn't seen the one of the FS section, sounds fair, looking for blue, black or green tho.

To Wozza: Thanks, good advice. Can't see the pics of that one on here unfortunately, sounds like a good un but unfortunately silver is just a bit too up front for me these days. :)

Agree with Wozza.....and explanation is complete bol**cks - No excuses and a dealer has no excuse not to know.....

They could reset the light as Wozza says and you end up with a huge bill a couple of months later (or even days later and all the hassle of taking it back)

I'd want to see the readout on the codes too and confirmation from the dealer (in writing) that the issue has been fixed.

They are all struggling at the moment and therefore should be more than willing to help you to secure the sale.....especially if theres nothing they are hiding.

On the key front - Shouldnt be an issue - as the three key is the master and can be used to programme any new keys should you want to

Edit: Have you driven the car at ~65mph by the way? (On a couple of road surfaces) - Need to check for the dreaded wheel wobble/vibration - As can cost you quite a few quid trying to fix it as it could be a multitude of things - dont just assume balancing/geometry.

Edited by Mark W

Wozza - getting the same permissions error others have reported on the thread, weird

Mark - thanks, I'm inclined to agree having sat back and thought for a couple of hours, going to let this one pass by. Quite a tidy looking green/beige number with nav, lev and lpg in London on autotrader at the mo, will see if I can get a mate to look it over (if it's still available) before I trek up there for another lemon.

Did try it at various speeds and steering seemed fairly decent, bit of a pull to the left but that seemed to be road camber, something my 200sx is also very sensitive to.

The engine light explanation is bogus for sure - mine is an identical car and year, and the Battery went utterly dead in mine. The engine was perfect after a jump start - no problems at all and definitely no lights.

The wheels are standard, that's how they came unless you ordered 18" as an option. Should come with 3 keys, you're missing one of the master ones. DON'T lose the one you have left, if you should buy it...

Assuming the ECU doesn't show anything horrible (and it could be something minor) then I wouldn't be too put off, it's not a bad price.

Why can't you see the pics ? It's a nice looking motor :D

Probably the same reason I can't look at them either, I think there's a slight issue with this forum. Could one of the mods take a look? All they should need to do is register a new account for testing and see if they can view image attachments on this forum. If they can I'd like to know why their account is different to mine!

The engine management light could hide an expensive bill, if they just re-set it and say "there are no faults"

to you and it comes back on in a months time ........... who gets the bill ?

Don't worry about that, the garage must sort it if it happens within 6 months of purchase.

Thanks Mike and Dave, that sounds slightly more encouraging. I guess the issue is whether, if the light did come on again, they can claim that it's a different code or do they still have to put it right even if it is?

Incidentally, when did this model get the uprated brake master cylinder?

Thanks Mike and Dave, that sounds slightly more encouraging. I guess the issue is whether, if the light did come on again, they can claim that it's a different code or do they still have to put it right even if it is?

Incidentally, when did this model get the uprated brake master cylinder?

They still have to fix ANY fault in the first 6 months unless they can PROVE that the fault wasn't there or developing when you purchased the car. It's called "reversed burden of proof."

Larger master cylinder for brake was around October 2000 I think, the same time as the SE was introduced.

My 430 had a problem with the rear park sensor (aftermarket fitment apparently) which was not covered by the Lexus Approved Car warranty about 3 months or so after I purchased it. The service dept. at Lexus Coventry told me it wasn't covered but as soon as I mentioned Sale of Good Act they said that it was covered under the act but that Sales would have to authorise it as they would be billed for it. Sales had no option and decided to replace the whole system. A lot of garages rely on the public being largely ignorant of their rights.

Agree with your principles Dave but in real life its just not that easy.

All the hassle of taking the car back, doing without a car (they dont have to provide a courtesy car) and the potential arguments.

If the sales guy misled about the light in the first place - how much can you trust him on everything else he said.

Agree with your principles Dave but in real life its just not that easy.

All the hassle of taking the car back, doing without a car (they dont have to provide a courtesy car) and the potential arguments.

If the sales guy misled about the light in the first place - how much can you trust him on everything else he said.

I agree about the hassle, lack of trust etc. I have never had a problem getting a courtesy car but I tend to buy off larger "reputable" outlets although the OP says it is a Toyota dealer so courtesy car should not be a problem.

The only thing really that I tend to disagree with is "potential arguments." I have not had any problems "in real life" when faults occur. The dealer will be aware of your rights under law but will hope that you, as a customer, are not aware.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links