Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Servicing And Warranty

Hi guys, I just bought 52 Reg IS 200 SE at 63k miles, I am about to take the car for a full check up/service since its my first Lexus and I may not be sure whats ok and whats not. Anyway since the warranty expired 3000miles ago, is it worth extending the warranty first then going for the service in case something major needs to be replaced or whatever and will this save me any money i.e. what is the cost difference between in servicing between a car that has warranty and one that doesn't have warranty? Also if something major needs replacing, if I have extended the warranty with a company that is not Lexus themselves, how does it work. It there a massive cost/service difference between extending the warranty with Lexus or another company such as Warranty Direct.

Thanks

To be honest if the warranty has already expired don't they do something where they'll check what needs fixing before you can buy the new warranty and then that is all exempt?

Saw a suggestion I think it was on here - instead of paying a warranty company just put the money into a fund for you - if you need to fix something use that - if you've not claimed then you get a free holiday at the end of it or whatever you like!

To be honest if the warranty has already expired don't they do something where they'll check what needs fixing before you can buy the new warranty and then that is all exempt?

Saw a suggestion I think it was on here - instead of paying a warranty company just put the money into a fund for you - if you need to fix something use that - if you've not claimed then you get a free holiday at the end of it or whatever you like!

Thanks Aido, i think that makes more sense.

I've got an 02 reg IS200 and haven't paid for anything that wasn't wear and tear yet (touch wood) so imho the warranty would be wasted money. As Aido says better off putting the money in a savings account in case the worst should happen but otherwise you're not throwing the money away :)

I've had mine serviced at Lexus since new, yes it costs a bit more but it's the only expense that goes on the car (except modding!) so I prefer the extra peace of mind.

When I bought my RX from a main dealer it came with a VGS warranty....a so called 4 star cover and I was told by the main dealer it covers everything the Lexus used warranty covers the only difference being no AA/RAC cover..........well......after reading the warranty terms and conditions I am having a hard time thinking of anything that WOULD be covered :crybaby: there are so many exclusions an conditions quite frankly its not worth the paper its written on!

In fact they sent me a renewal notice as its been 12 months since I bought the car, 4 star cover 12 months £1000 per claim costs £260.

I sent the company a letter asking for a list of items that WOULD be covered in the event of failure......guess what?

No answer since the 5th January.....funny that eh? :whistling:

Don't waste your money.......do as advised above......with any luck you'll get a nice long weekend away with the savings :winky:

Thanks a lot guys, even though the dealer I bought it from "said" it was fully serviced and has a non-Lexus approved dealer stamp, im thinking of having a full service anyway. 1 thing that strikes me though, Lexus Hanley is said in these forums according to the reviews to be one of the best service centres but you cannot find it on the official Lexus website. Is it advisable to have the Lexus serviced elsewhere e.g. Kwikfit, Halfords or Nationwide etc. and are there Lexus Approved dealers that you wont find on the website?

Don't forget there is a longer bodywork warranty too, subject to inspections.I have an 02 and had respraying done under the warranty a few months ago.

Everyone seems to just talk about the mechanical side !

Thanks a lot guys, even though the dealer I bought it from "said" it was fully serviced and has a non-Lexus approved dealer stamp, im thinking of having a full service anyway. 1 thing that strikes me though, Lexus Hanley is said in these forums according to the reviews to be one of the best service centres but you cannot find it on the official Lexus website. Is it advisable to have the Lexus serviced elsewhere e.g. Kwikfit, Halfords or Nationwide etc. and are there Lexus Approved dealers that you wont find on the website?

It's here:

http://www.lexus.co.uk/Dealers/c79132a0-e5...53-f98bd18d8396

It's purely a service centre though - not sales.

I think you can get the car serviced anywhere and as long as you use Toyota parts then the warranty is all intact :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links