Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Dodgy Stereo?

evening. First of all, this is my first time posting on this forum so hi. I have been around before but never posted and have forgotten my previous account details.

Now, I have just put my original stereo back in my year 2000 is200 but it doesn't work. I took it out just over a year ago and fitted a dvd player and sub setup but am now selling those so this had to go back in. When I plug it in, the cd player makes a sound like it is loading cd's but I can't switch it on. there are electrical feeds there and the plug is back in the amp properly.

With it having been out for so long, will it need some sort of programming or am I likely to have a duff stereo or amp?

Cheers for any help

Jeff

Welcome to LOC :)

To be honest it does sound like the unit has failed - was it kept indoors our outside in a garage, wondering if maybe it's got damp?

Wondering if there is anyone near you who has another you could try or alternatively try yours in their car to try and pinpoint which is causing the problem - the headunit or the car itself although seeing as the aftermarket one worked it does sound more like something to do with your HU.

Welcome to LOC :)

To be honest it does sound like the unit has failed - was it kept indoors our outside in a garage, wondering if maybe it's got damp?

Wondering if there is anyone near you who has another you could try or alternatively try yours in their car to try and pinpoint which is causing the problem - the headunit or the car itself although seeing as the aftermarket one worked it does sound more like something to do with your HU.

cheers for your reply. it was kept up in the attic wrapped in a plastic bag inside a box. It was working perfectly well when I took it out. I might leave it in for a few days and see if by some miracle, it starts to work (doubtful). I may just have to put the aftermarket one back in if it doesn't cos I'm trying to sell the car. Do you reckon I could try disconnecting the Battery for a while then put it back on and see if that helps? cheers again

jeff

To be fair I wouldn't have thought that disconnecting the Battery would make much difference - that would affect the headunit more if it was already plumbed in?

Saying that it has to be worth a go as I've seen stranger things work after something like that :)

It should power up no matter how long it has been out,

are you sure there is an ignition feed at the back of the unit??

Is there anything else in the car not working even somethings as trivial as a light or a clock?? :)

there is an igntion feed to the black wire and a permanent live to the red wire. I'm kinda hoping that it was just to cold in the attic and it needs to warm up but I doubt that is likely. lol. Everything else in the car works fine. I've checked all the radio fuses, the acc fuse and the tv fuse and they are all fine. When I plugged it in the cd player was making the loading noise and the first time I switched the ignition on it did it again but not after that. I'll see what else I can find tomorrow. cheers

It should power up no matter how long it has been out,

are you sure there is an ignition feed at the back of the unit??

Is there anything else in the car not working even somethings as trivial as a light or a clock?? :)

there is an igntion feed to the black wire and a permanent live to the red wire. I'm kinda hoping that it was just to cold in the attic and it needs to warm up but I doubt that is likely. lol. Everything else in the car works fine. I've checked all the radio fuses, the acc fuse and the tv fuse and they are all fine. When I plugged it in the cd player was making the loading noise and the first time I switched the ignition on it did it again but not after that. I'll see what else I can find tomorrow. cheers

well that is strange. I went out to it this morning and pressed the power button a few times and it started straight up. it must have been cold or damp from being in the attic although it was quite well protected up there. oh well, its sorted now so that saves some money. cheers for all your input guys. its much appreciated.

jeff

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links