Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Paintwork Correction

finest1

Hi all,

I have a wedding to go to in the last weekend of march. Hopefully by then we’ll have some good weather. Problem is, my car suffers from bad swirl marks. I would like to buff these out (paintwork correction). I was contemplating buying a DVA polisher like the Meguiars G220, but I have no experience in this. I really want my car to be a showpiece in the car park on that day! I have the following options:

Buy a DVA and learn myself, which could be costly,

Rent a DVA and do it myself. Not sure if I can rent one.

Ask someone to show me how to do it. I have no one, so I’ll put the offer out to the people on this forum, this way I can learn a new skill.

Pay a professional to do it.

what do you guys think?

:)

You will be able to get loads of useful suggestions etc on how to use a polisher over at the Detailing World forums, including from professional detailers as well as amateur enthusiasts.

Combine that with a scrap panel bought from a breakers to practice on, and I'm sure you can do it.

Or pay someone to do it for you if you don't fancy doing it yourself.

It's easy mate using something like those DVA or the PC machines, you can't really damage anything so have a crack yourself if you've got the time?

Way I remember it was wash the car first, then clay it to remove all the crap from the paintwork and wash again.

Then use the machine with a paint cleaner or if you're skipping that step go onto the polish, when that's dried and cleaned off with a towel just use wax or a sealant with the machine and dry and clean - job done I think?

The way I was told to use the machine was basically in your mind make a small area square shaped in your mind, then do left to right passes with the machine, followed by diagonal crosses from each corner, then reverse the diagonal shape and then finally do an up and down pass folloiwng the direction of the car front to back. When complete just move onto the next square and repeat until you've done the car - at that point I'd then go and using a towel just take off the product.

Things have changed a bit with all the new sealants and stuff but that's the basic process :)

I've used a really good Turtle Wax Colour restore before with pretty good results. Its in their Platinum range so its not the cheap stuff you can buy, give that a try with an orbital polisher. Job lot will cost about £30 mate.

Give the car a good clean. Dry the car off thoroughly. Apply the restorer, wait for 5-10 mins to haze, buff off with a the machine polisher. This will instantly reduce the appearance of blemishes, swirls and small scratches. Then I've found using a colour based polish gives it a deep colour shine. Gently apply the polish and leave 2-3 mins to haze. Buff off with a lint free cloth. Then if you want the full monty job, wax the car like you've polished it, then you can give the car a top wax gloss. This is really liquidiy and so easy to apply. Go over the car quickly and by the time you reach the point you started you can again buff off with the machine polisher/buffer leaving your car with paint that looks deep enough to paddel in!

thanks guys

i will post this on DW to see what response i get.

its using the machine thats the issue as i've never used on before, and don't want to mess it up.

as i said, worse comes to the worse, i'll go pro and do it.

anyone know where i can get a good dva?

Hi all,

I have a wedding to go to in the last weekend of march. Hopefully by then we’ll have some good weather. Problem is, my car suffers from bad swirl marks. I would like to buff these out (paintwork correction). I was contemplating buying a DVA polisher like the meguiars G220, but I have no experience in this. I really want my car to be a showpiece in the car park on that day! I have the following options:

Buy a DVA and learn myself, which could be costly,

Rent a DVA and do it myself. Not sure if I can rent one.

Ask someone to show me how to do it. I have no one, so I’ll put the offer out to the people on this forum, this way I can learn a new skill.

Pay a professional to do it.

what do you guys think?

:)

i can see from your threads on detailing world that you likely to use a pro for your paintwork correction.if that is the case can i suggest that you take a look at the wash techniques to avoid fresh damage.personally i would buy the machine as you have it for any future correction and the sense of acheivement is very rewarding.

Hi there finest1

Take a look at the thread above : http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=57140

I can personally recommend the guy who did the Audi, he lives in Staines and is going to do a stage one detail on my wifes truck (landCrusier) I would do it myself except some of the scratches are into the base coat and a DA polisher will strugle to get these out. I will then finish the detail myself with the G220 and the combination of products explained in the thread.

Take loads of pictures and share with us all.

Hope this helps.

Mike S

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links