Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

G1 Thread

Ellz

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though the UK one is a little pointless, its called world traffic cam's. Basically you can view a number of traffic camera around the world, in the UK they have a limited amount in london probably about 150 ish camera's. But you can see images which update every so often, UK ones are 300 seconds, but the ones i've looked at the USA update every second so you get basically live feed, and in the US they've got thousands, the idea is to allow you to plan a route by looking at the traffic live, but the UK needs to really update every 5 - 10 seconds at the max not every 5 mins.

I think its almost a little scary this app, good know what we'll be able to look at next, every CCTV camera ? never know.

This thread could get interesting, as far as I'm concerned the G1 is a bit of an enigma as not a lot of ppl have them so without spending hours on the internet it's hard to find out the true user experience..........

Anyway, that sounds like an awesome app. So you can see traffic cameras (on motorways and stuff) real time? Ok maybe it's lame at the mo but they'll update the number of cameras, but that is seriously cool stuff :)

Even though the UK one is a little pointless, its called world traffic cam's. Basically you can view a number of traffic camera around the world, in the UK they have a limited amount in london probably about 150 ish camera's. But you can see images which update every so often, UK ones are 300 seconds, but the ones i've looked at the USA update every second so you get basically live feed, and in the US they've got thousands, the idea is to allow you to plan a route by looking at the traffic live, but the UK needs to really update every 5 - 10 seconds at the max not every 5 mins.

I think its almost a little scary this app, good know what we'll be able to look at next, every CCTV camera ? never know.

This thread could get interesting, as far as I'm concerned the G1 is a bit of an enigma as not a lot of ppl have them so without spending hours on the internet it's hard to find out the true user experience..........

Anyway, that sounds like an awesome app. So you can see traffic cameras (on motorways and stuff) real time? Ok maybe it's lame at the mo but they'll update the number of cameras, but that is seriously cool stuff :)

Yep i'll try and get some photos up later on of the app working.

thats the thing with the android the more people who get it the more it will get better and better, its like a community. Theres a night life app's so if you at a pub and its crazy busy or really crap and quiet you can quickly type it in and anyone with that app in your area gets the update, i for one know in brighton that can help loads as many DJ's have little secrete sessions so not to over load the venue and with 2 uni's close by some places can get overloaded big time, I was in a club a while back not very busy and who comes on the decks local boy fat boy slim was one of the best nights ever.

OT I know but Ellz do you know Will and India as I think they're down your way and he's into his clubbing scene big time!

I know a few Wills but no India pm me there full names might be easier lol.

Ok heres a few photos of the invisible shield i've got on mine. It says it take 2-3 days for all bubble etc to disappear although there arent to many on mine.

All these corners are little buggers to do

DSCN2210.jpg

DSCN2211.jpg

These are the worst 2 (ones one the edge of screen area) think I might cut them off as i dont think they've stuck properly.

DSCN2212.jpg

it give the phone a very shiney look and a weird kind of feeling almost a smooth staticy feel.

DSCN2213.jpg

DSCN2214.jpg

Also heres that app i was talking about.

DSCN2216.jpg

there all the camera's in london.

DSCN2221.jpg

pick a camera, some dont always work.

DSCN2222.jpg

then through to this screen which has which light is on at that time.

DSCN2223.jpg

Then the actual picture.

DSCN2224.jpg

DSCN2225.jpg

and thats another example. now the US ones refresh each second which is amazing, but this are sloooow 300seconds :(

finally got my G1 yesterday, been busy jailbreaking it (or rooting as its called) only probs im having is the last part, but im sure i can sort it, just need to read up some more.

Overall impression so far, im liking android and its possibilities., will say more once i sort out the final bit of rooting..

only hard bit was finding the info and then finding out the meanings of things.

I started to use the Guide as detailed on this thread, however i used the mount -o rw etc etc code from this youtube tutorial (at 5m45s in) as i found the code on this thread to have some syntax errors.

I then used this guide from androidwiki which gave some useful tips to to lookout for.

give it a whirl, if you get stuck you can always revert bac to teh RC7 version then when you go into market from the G1 it will try to update to the current RC8 software and hey presto back to normal.

i am however having phone freezing issues, even with the normal non tweaked phone, so may have to send it back..

only hard bit was finding the info and then finding out the meanings of things.

I started to use the Guide as detailed on this thread, however i used the mount -o rw etc etc code from this youtube tutorial (at 5m45s in) as i found the code on this thread to have some syntax errors.

I then used this guide from androidwiki which gave some useful tips to to lookout for.

give it a whirl, if you get stuck you can always revert bac to teh RC7 version then when you go into market from the G1 it will try to update to the current RC8 software and hey presto back to normal.

i am however having phone freezing issues, even with the normal non tweaked phone, so may have to send it back..

did you have rc8 ? my phones not frozen once yet. sometimes as ive got the powermanager on it cut the screen off after 15 seconds when the Battery is low and sometimes if im on the web or playing a game and it cut the screen off it take about 10 - 20 seconds to allow me to get back to the unlock screen but im guessing that because its doing stuff in the back ground.

Is it possible now to unlock the G1? Or do you still lose the google functionality if you do so?

Tempted to get one but would rather stay on Vodafone..........alternatively the Palm Pre is starting to get my attention so may wait to see what that's like first........ :unsure:

ellz, yes was running rooted RC8, i did however revert back to the proper RC8.

let me backtrack here, to enable rooting you have to downgrade to RC7 (RC30-33 for USA) first, this is to exploit the programming which allows root access, then you do some other bits to then upgrade to the latest rooted (hacked) RC version which has extra goodies of course.

so cause of the freezing probs i went back to RC7 and then let the phone ask to upgrade to the proper latest version (via market) and it still froze, hell it even froze after a full wipe/reset (power and home key) on the sign in screen.

so its gone back to the eBay man..

@ parthiban, sim unlocking was as simple as entering a code, the eBay guy the phone came from does it for 15 quid, you give him your IMEI and he emails back with the code.

Im on O2 and have full functionality. not sure what you mean about loosing the google part.. you need a google account as far as i know to get the phone running.

Ie turn on the phone from new and you have to sign in or create your google account. this will then sync and setup your gmail, gcontacts and gcalander for you. of course you dont have to have contacts or calender, but certainly a gmail account regardless of if you use it or not, the G1 does however allow for other email setups.

@ parthiban, sim unlocking was as simple as entering a code, the ebay guy the phone came from does it for 15 quid, you give him your IMEI and he emails back with the code.

Im on O2 and have full functionality. not sure what you mean about loosing the google part.. you need a google account as far as i know to get the phone running.

Ie turn on the phone from new and you have to sign in or create your google account. this will then sync and setup your gmail, gcontacts and gcalander for you. of course you dont have to have contacts or calender, but certainly a gmail account regardless of if you use it or not, the G1 does however allow for other email setups.

I remember reading originally on the net that if you unlocked it, you wouldn't be able to sign in to your google account and use the calendar, contacts, etc. but I imagine they've sorted it now? That's good news if it is :)

One other question, and that's what's it like to live with? And by that I mean it's physical size - does it sit comfortably in your pocket? Especially in jeans and stuff?

One other question, and that's what's it like to live with? And by that I mean it's physical size - does it sit comfortably in your pocket? Especially in jeans and stuff?

Day to day use its great, ive started using it alot with the calender, notepads etc as i can enter txt so quickly. Size wise its fine only a bit longer than a N95 but slightly slimmer.

Thought i'd slap this up on my thread.

I posted a video of this a while back on the Iphone thread, but now its out on demo's and looks bloooomin cracking.

Nvidia's Tegra chip, on a device running android, putting out 1080p video apparently capable of 10 hours of HD play back.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/17/nvidias...d-pumping-out/#

Bloody hell, that tiny little thing can play 10 hrs on it's battery of full HD on a proper TV? That's insane :D

Thats what they said, The 3D interface is amazing, hope they can actually produce something like it for the market.

Is that actually a mobile phone or just a PMP running Android? I read somewhere that Archos are in the process of developing a phone that combines Android and their usual sexy PMP - I hope it combines a bit of this too and that will be one hell of a device :winky:

• 1 month later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links