Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Traction Control Noise

Obviously the traction control on my is200 has seen quite a bit of action over the past few days, but there are a couple of things i've noticed:

1. When going up hills on ice, the dash light flashes and there is a wierd noise (there's no other way of describing it) from the rear of the car.

2. The traction control doesn't stop the wheels from spinning - going up hills on ice the wheels will continue to spin despite the flashing and noise described above..

Are the above normal or have I got something to worry about/get checked out...?

Thanks

Adam

That sounds normal to be fair as it's just everything trying to regain control.

If you've got the Sport you're probably hearing the LSD cracking into life as well?

That sounds normal to be fair as it's just everything trying to regain control.

If you've got the Sport you're probably hearing the LSD cracking into life as well?

I've got the sport but haven't heard anything from the diff on my car, what noises does it make and when!

When the traction control on my car really kicks in it's under the bonnet I hear the noise from, which is mentioned in the owners manual. It's quite so I can only hear it pulling away in snow. If it kicks on on the road from powering out of a corner I don't hear anything.

The LSD made a big crack / thud type noise when it kicked in on mine, you definitely hear that one :)

Was always mainly on one of the roads near me where it would do it as there was a pothole going around a corner so it would usually set it off if I had my foot down!

Obviously the traction control on my is200 has seen quite a bit of action over the past few days, but there are a couple of things i've noticed:

1. When going up hills on ice, the dash light flashes and there is a wierd noise (there's no other way of describing it) from the rear of the car.

2. The traction control doesn't stop the wheels from spinning - going up hills on ice the wheels will continue to spin despite the flashing and noise described above..

Are the above normal or have I got something to worry about/get checked out...?

Thanks

Adam

LSD mate...has happend on mine all this week...its just letting u know its awake and responding!

Traction control does two things - it regulates the power to the engine by automatically varying the throttle position, regardless of the amount you have your foot on the gas pedal (in the IS200/300s this is done via the electronic throttle control - some older systems with mechanical throttles had a second throttle that would close the airflow to cancel out what your foot was telling the car to do). The second thing it does it to use the brakes of the car to control the spin of the wheels. The same system is used as is for the ABS, so the noise you hear could be this - it would come from the engine bay but it is sometimes hard to pin point when you are sitting in the car. The two methods work to give you the best traction given the conditions. You can tell which is working because you will feel more noticeably the power being cut (it takes a second for the power to cut back in) than the brakes being applied. Normally your foot is on the brake when the ABS kicks in so you feel it through your foot as well as hearing the sound so to hear it but not feel it can be a bit odd. It's not perfect and in this weather physics takes control most of the time with these heavy RWD cars! The LSD is also very helpful is you have one.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links