Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Any Feedback On Facelifted Is

You've had some lovely cars - S500 and a CLS!!! What's the CLS like? I'm thinking about getting one for my next car.

They're my dads cars so can't really take credit :blush:

The CLS is really good though, there were a few bizarre failures early one that were sorted under warranty but after that it's been perfect. It's comfortable and quiet, but is pretty sharp to drive (although the steering is a bit light for my liking)

It's weird the car is still relatively rare given how great it is to look at, it still turns heads and we've had it 4 years...........

I'm gonna get one. You're right, they are great looking. Especially if you can get one with an AMG body kit! The only thing I'm worried about is the fact that I'm only 25, so the car may not suit me!

may be it is because today's cars are so quiet. It doesn't look like, but when I sit to older car and than back to lexus - it is huge difference.

That's an interesting point, but we used to have an older S500 before the CLS and that was silent inside but didn't rattle at all.......

and what about suspension? S has airmatic, so does have also CLS or not? I think that would make difference also.

I'm gonna get one. You're right, they are great looking. Especially if you can get one with an AMG body kit! The only thing I'm worried about is the fact that I'm only 25, so the car may not suit me!

I'm 26 (part of the reason why I've only recently started driving it as the insurance was ridiculous before that) and I think it makes me look better :P :hehe::lol:

One of the cool things about it is it's not a posers car, as it's actually quite difficult to see who's driving as the windows are really small - despite being quite a large car, inside you feel very cocooned. It's funny you should mention the AMG kit, as I go back and forth as to whether I prefer it with or without. Ours doesn't have it, but when I see one with it it does look amazing, but then you see the car without and somehow that makes sense too - the car isn't particularly aggressive in it's design, so the standard car also looks great, very elegant (but you have to have the 18" alloys, looks silly on 17s)

and what about suspension? S has airmatic, so does have also CLS or not? I think that would make difference also.

Nah the S500 was the generation before the one you're thinking of so no air suspension, and our CLS doesn't have air suspension either (which is actually one of the few upsides to the 350, as imo at low speeds the ride is a lot more settled)

Hi everyone....thought I'd post an update on progress so far with my new IS220DE SE-I, in response to all of the above posts!

So far, apart from the early gremlin of me not being able to read the manual properly (see my posts on Poor Fuel Consumption!), the car has been excellent and I (and everyone who travels with me including the wife) am well pleased with the choice.

I am getting on average 40-45MPG and occassionally on a long run, 48-50MPG. This I can repeat regularly.

I have had no rattles at all and believe me, I would be the first to notice one if it occurred, especially after having a number of German execs i.e. Audi A6, BMW 530D, VW Passat 2.8 4-Motion etc which were all really well screwed together, but a bit bland!

The performance is fine for a 2.2D, except in 6th, which unless your are doing over 80mph, is really not usuable at all. Pulling away in first is a necessity for many occassions as (whilst moving at low speed) sometimes trying to do this in second causes a loft of complaint from the transmission and the car nearly stalls. Interestingly, in the German cars this was a very rare problem and this is something they have sorted out well.

The only other issue that I have is that the paint does seem rather soft and bearing in mind I have only 2800 on the clock so far, I already have a number of tiny chips around the front of the car. :crybaby: I would have expected a pearlescant paint finish (Windsor Blue) to have had copious amounts of laquer applied so to compensate, I have already started a regime of waxing and polishing to help build up some protection!

Would I buy another...you bet I would! Driving around it is great to be in something 'different' to the usual crowd, especially on the long journesy up and down the UK motorways and for a car to put a smile on my face each time I drive it, it can't be bad!

So thumbs up so far and would I recommend an IS220D SE-I...absolutely! :)

If anyone wants rto talk to me about my experiences so far, PM me and I'll give you my contact number.

Cheers

Nah the S500 was the generation before the one you're thinking of so no air suspension, and our CLS doesn't have air suspension either (which is actually one of the few upsides to the 350, as imo at low speeds the ride is a lot more settled)

he had this merc?

mercedes-s-w140-500-se-3.jpg

I think this is one of the best mercedes ever build

Yep that's the one, I agree it was a brilliant car for cruising, not so great in corners though. It was built like a tank though, we had that car for quite a few years and it was hit twice - once side swiped on a roundabout, and the other rear ended, and both times the car just had scratches whereas the others were written off!

Had some really cool features too as a car from the times of excess, an electric rear view mirror was one of them - a bit ridiculous as it was just as far to reach for the switch as it was to move the mirror by hand (although it was included in the memories). Another I remember was an electric handle that came out of the bootlid when you opened it - meant that if it was wet or dirty there was still no need to get your hands dirty :hehe:

Have to agree it was one of the best built Mercs, and with the double glazing and all very quiet inside :)

I had the misfortune to ride in the back of the new 320CLS last week. My head was in contact with the roof, I'm 5'10". The seats are very hard, but probably good for a long drive. My attention was drawn to the cheep looking lumbar support levers on the front seats, very flimsy felt like they would break off after little use. The door panels had large gaps. The front passenger door didn't shut properly unless it was slammed shut. We drove into Manchester Picadillily train station carpark and hitting one of the speed bumps, the left rear door mechanism opened the window on that door and left the door slightly ajar.

Needless to say, I wasnt very impressed.

I had the misfortune to ride in the back of the new 320CLS last week. My head was in contact with the roof, I'm 5'10". The seats are very hard, but probably good for a long drive. My attention was drawn to the cheep looking lumbar support levers on the front seats, very flimsy felt like they would break off after little use. The door panels had large gaps. The front passenger door didn't shut properly unless it was slammed shut. We drove into Manchester Picadillily train station carpark and hitting one of the speed bumps, the left rear door mechanism opened the window on that door and left the door slightly ajar.

Needless to say, I wasnt very impressed.

Agree with your first two points, if you're tall, you're definitely going to find the rear of the car a problem (although is it a big difference compared to other coupes?). Also the lumbar support, I don't who came up with that but they should be shot. Our old S had awesome pneumatic lumbar support, so it's one of those cost cutting areas that really annoys me.

The rest though sounds very odd, was it an accident damaged car? Ours is well built from that perspective, my only issues are some things aren't as perfectly lined up as I'd like, and one of my biggest problems is that the stitching on the leather in places is not perfect..........

All pretty minor, not entirely acceptable in a car like this, but thankfully the quality of the overall car makes up for it in my opinion. I've said this before but when I've had IS250 courtesy cars I've actually thought the Lexus (despite being a lot cheaper) feels better built than the Merc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Exiled: I'm still very happy with my 250SEI auto with nav and have absolutely no regrets in making the choice I did. In terms of my particular requirements, I'm fairly confident nothing comes close because during the months I dithered over the decision, I checked out quite a few alternatives both new and second-hand. However, the choice of car is, to a large extent, down to personal preference. Do you have any particular points of concern?

Exiled: I'm still very happy with my 250SEI auto with nav and have absolutely no regrets in making the choice I did. In terms of my particular requirements, I'm fairly confident nothing comes close because during the months I dithered over the decision, I checked out quite a few alternatives both new and second-hand. However, the choice of car is, to a large extent, down to personal preference. Do you have any particular points of concern?

I think you made a good choice, the SEI has an impressive spec.

I have no points of great concern my reason for requesting more feedback on the 2009 model is that the car has now been in production for 4 years, is the build quality improving, some owners have complained about dash's and door's creaking, the boot lid coming into contact with the bumper. I know there isn't much to moan about on the 250, just interested to know if Lexus take on board owner feedback by continuing to improve the car.

I had an 09 SE-L with MM as a courtesy car last week and I was quite happy with it - there was nothing really wrong with the original one but it's nice to have a few little bits added that make it even nicer. New dash looks better, auto folding mirrors and auto lock are nice features and I love the two tone interior with contrast stitching.

Also the car I had had no rattles at all! (Only 800 miles on the clock though, so not sure if that will get worse)

One thing though, have they changed anything dynamically on the car as part of the facelift? This one didn't seem to handle as well as before (more understeer) but not sure if it was just this car.......

I've had my facelifted SEL since end of November - dealer (Lexus Lincoln) told me I was the first in the county but i never swallowed that particular sales pitch!

My car has now done 8000 miles and so far problem free - but then I had an SE before that (supplied by the lovely Karen in Sheffield) for a year and didn't have any major 'problems 'with that either - well other than the lights were crap (but obviously not a QA issue) and it never felt totally secure on the road, used to tramline all over the place.

For a couple of months there was a quite annoying rattling sound on the new car from near the fuel tank but this seems to have cured itselfm but certainly no creaks, rattles etc from the dash or anywhere else in the car. However, just recently, there appears to be an issue with braking, in that the car now seems to pull to my side, especally at speed. Need to get it checked out!) Never used to do it, and the improved handling was the major difference between the new and old cars.

Have been thinking about changing cars again - this time to an IS250C but again Lexus has gone crazy with the feature/options in that the Mark Levinson hifi (which I had on both of my old cars) no longer comes as standard on the SEL - you need to go for the SEL+ACC which also includes all manner of unnecessary things such as adaptive cruise control, adding £4k to the price, and coming in at a mind blowing £44k list price with metallic paint. Considering alternatives such as a Jaguar XF (but interior build is much inferior to the IS250 and awful plastic 'chrome' trimming on the exterior) and A5 Sportback. Could do with a little more room in the back for passengers, but that's really the only issue I can really find with the IS250 - but obviously I new that as I've now had two!

Hi all

I was wondering how forum members with the facelifted IS are getting on. For example, have the modifications to the dash, etc cured all the creaks and rattles that seemed so common with the 2005/08 IS cars? Also has the ride quality improved with the suspension mods?

Any feedback on these or any other issues would be welcome as I'm still sitting on the sidelines wondering whether to buy a nearly new IS250 MM auto or whether it's worth paying the extra for a new SEI. The cosmetic styling changes to the interior and exterior aren't really sufficient to swing my decision either way. My main disappointment with the SEI is that it doesn't have the Mark Levinson audio or the dynamic route guidance

Best regards

Roger

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links