Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

If Aston Martin are having to do this on 28%. Imagine the buying potential at Mitsubishi which I think are at 76%. The only problem, of couse, is that the dealerships might go altogether.

I have a is250se with multimedia, 30,000 miles, just over 3 yrs old, i was last week offered £10500 in part ex for it against another is, at £20,000, by a Lexus dealer, the car was on the forcourt less than 10 months ago for £19950, allthough i did'nt pay that for it, it has still depreciated at approx £1000 a month whilst i have had it, residuals!, what residuals?

I have a is250se with multimedia, 30,000 miles, just over 3 yrs old, i was last week offered £10500 in part ex for it against another is, at £20,000, by a Lexus dealer, the car was on the forcourt less than 10 months ago for £19950, allthough i did'nt pay that for it, it has still depreciated at approx £1000 a month whilst i have had it, residuals!, what residuals?

Lexus offered me £9.5k for my '06 220d SE MM, 35k miles. VW offered me £11.3k. Guess who got the deal!

Thing is given current circumstances, you really can't buy a car with the intention of replacing it in the short term without losing a ton of money. If you buy now, choose your car with the intention that you will keep it for 5+ years and then I don't think you'll be hit that badly.

Quite agree. The depreciation curve seems to be very sharp over the first 3 years nowadays. After that it flattens out a lot, particularly on sought after cars. 4 figure prices seem a lot less that 5 figure prices.

if you go by the guides and the dealer hype the car should retain 55% of its value over 3 years, to loose £1000 per month is a ridiculous amount to loose on a car.

just by looking at this forum over the last 3/4 weeks you can see how many have left or like myself are leaving i think there will be a few dealers closing soon

if you go by the guides and the dealer hype the car should retain 55% of its value over 3 years, to loose £1000 per month is a ridiculous amount to loose on a car.

just by looking at this forum over the last 3/4 weeks you can see how many have left or like myself are leaving i think there will be a few dealers closing soon

it could be of benefit to us all if some of the dealers go bust,as lexus could buy them up cheap and therefore improve the standard for customers.

Thing is given current circumstances, you really can't buy a car with the intention of replacing it in the short term without losing a ton of money. If you buy now, choose your car with the intention that you will keep it for 5+ years and then I don't think you'll be hit that badly.

Sure. Don't buy a car, do the PCP.

The market will pick up one day, may be in 12-24m. Then car prices will actually rise for the first time consistently over all makers I think as demand goes up. Simple economics. Especially luxury cars. Unless Government bashes the Tax sticks again.

Anyway, I think Lexus have a problem. Not all Lexus cars are good when it comes to emissions, and that will hurt. In Credit crunch times people want small cars and the choice is then you go to Toyota. But I don't think so that Lexus GB would buy dealerships out. If they go bust, they go bust. You can't magic customers from no where and Customer service will go so far only.

But. Lexus has no marketing here in europe now. No TV ad's. Reliability and Customer care is good, but even korean's are now catching up with 5 and 7 year guarantee. Even Fiats, some, come with 5 years. No small cars people can downsize to, except IS, which is not good enough, limited engine and trim choices. BMW, Audi and MB have 1 series, A3 and A class, B class, all with lots of diesel and Auto/manual, trim choice.

I heard that Lancia were coming back to UK. May be not now. I hope they do. They are better now.

Now gone to Beemers, I can advise the dealership I deal with and the car are every bit as good as good as Lexus, and in some ways (Quality, MPG, drive) car is better, not in others (no toys, I need toys!! and boring "lose car in car park" looks).

I do miss my Lexi Babi a little. I feel like I've cheated on wife sometimes when I drive Beemer :shutit: But the new Bimbo 325d gives me pleasure ...

I NEVER worry what a dealer offers me for my old car!! - I wait for them to do their sharp intake of breath and then shake their head and then get their guide out and then say "Yada, yada, blah, blah, of course these don't sell as well as they used to, blah, blah, etc, etc". then when they've finished and they offer me X thousand under what it's worth I just say "I don't care to be honest - You can give my £1 for if you want to take it off my hands"

I then 'explain' what sort of discount I am expecting off the new one. If they don't play ball, I turn around and walk out.

The last car I purchased (before this one), the dealer eventually phoned me up and said, and I quote "What do I have to do to get you to order this car on the phone now?"..... I was then interested !!!

So, (for me anyway), I really take no notice of the cobblers the dealers come out with on trade in price as it makes no difference at the end of the day if the deal is right on the new one.

The Ed

I NEVER worry what a dealer offers me for my old car!! - I wait for them to do their sharp intake of breath and then shake their head and then get their guide out and then say "Yada, yada, blah, blah, of course these don't sell as well as they used to, blah, blah, etc, etc". then when they've finished and they offer me X thousand under what it's worth I just say "I don't care to be honest - You can give my £1 for if you want to take it off my hands"

I then 'explain' what sort of discount I am expecting off the new one. If they don't play ball, I turn around and walk out.

The last car I purchased (before this one), the dealer eventually phoned me up and said, and I quote "What do I have to do to get you to order this car on the phone now?"..... I was then interested !!!

So, (for me anyway), I really take no notice of the cobblers the dealers come out with on trade in price as it makes no difference at the end of the day if the deal is right on the new one.

The Ed

a man after my own heart.

"............the dealer eventually phoned me up and said, and I quote "What do I have to do to get you to order this car on the phone now?"..... I was then interested !!!"

Had the same happen to me recently. It's all about "price to change". I was offered basic trade in price but negotiated a discount on the new car, but the invoice shows something different again (a smaller discount and an inflated trade in price).

Price to change: 2006 Lexus 220d SE with MM to Lexus 220d SE-I FM = £12500.

Give me 50% value on my trade in car against full price new car, price to change = £12560.

I can live with that.

just be carefull if your offered a high trade in price and your taking out finance or a pcp,

on my last trade in on my is 200 they said the car was worth 8k but the the settlement at the time was 10k they said they would clear the outstanding balance, it was only when looking at the forms when i took out my new pcp that they had put the 2k shortfall on the price of the new car,

when buying new and you have a p/x yiour never going to win as they have limits they can go to regardless if your trading in a car or not.

i dont think i would ever buy a new car again i would go for a 6/12 month old car, and i cant believe how much one guy posted that he's lost £1000 per month on his car. that would buy you a new fiesta.

Interesting debate this... I really fancy a Jag XK, which are about £30-33k for a nice one.

XFs are similar sort of money, and are the only car that offer a similar spec to the IS250SE-L MM ironically.

I've been quoted £10k-ish for my Lexus- the question is, would a new car really give 200% more pleasure than the Lexus?

There are two issues with the Maserati QP- firstly, the 'F1' gearbox is very old school... dunno why they didn't go with either a manual or a proper auto. Secondly, the servicing and maintenance costs will make your hair stand on end- it is basically a Ferrari engine, with similar costs...

If you get a later Maser then they did have proper autos - can't remember when it came in but it was a few years ago.

Funnily enough, it seems that cars like mine are the best ones to p/ex at the mo, as it seems that much newer IS250s (with much higher original list prices) are being offered not a lot more for..........

If you get a later Maser then they did have proper autos - can't remember when it came in but it was a few years ago.

Funnily enough, it seems that cars like mine are the best ones to p/ex at the mo, as it seems that much newer IS250s (with much higher original list prices) are being offered not a lot more for..........

Could be that the VED is having an effect. Your 200 will be a lot cheaper to tax than a post 23/3/06 250 - at the moment

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links