Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Need Advice On Buying A Used Approved Is250 Se-l

Hi Guys, it’s been a while since I posted but id love some advice.

Im looking to upgrade my IS200 to a used approved IS250 SE-L 2008 (auto, sat nav, multimedia). I have seen some on the dealership websites and they all seem to be around £25k. Im going to view some on Wed/Thu.

Here’s were I need your advice, what can I do to get a good deal? any tips ways to approach dealers etc would be beneficial. Im by no means shy just haven’t dealt with dealers before and want to make sure I get my monies worth.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Ezz

I've seen brand new "09" reg for £27K through Broadspeed. In which case an "08" model should be significantly less. Can't imagine a dealer offering above £20K for an "08" trade in, though I could be wrong.

I've seen brand new "09" reg for £27K through Broadspeed. In which case an "08" model should be significantly less. Can't imagine a dealer offering above £20K for an "08" trade in, though I could be wrong.

im looking to buy an IS250, i currently have a IS200.

Does any one reckon i could get a dealer to sell an IS250 SEL, auto, mm, Satnav for around £22k, thats not including the trade in of my 2002 IS200 SE ?

I had a loan car from Lexus Milton Keynes a couple of weeks ago, it was a 250sel manual with multimedia, 10,000 miles 08 reg, they had it up for sale at £19995, so an auto should be available for £21-22,000.

Hey,

Well do your research if thats not the cheapest one around, then compare the prices with similar vehicles available with same spec and milage and age.

Stick with Approved Used, at-least you know its good enough for Lexus to sell, its good enough for you to buy. (Some may disagree, but you'll have better assurance buying from a dealer than privately.

If you cant seattle on a lower price, get something that will save you money in the future like servicing i.e. say include the next 30k servicing in the price

Or stuff you may want to buy after purchase i.e. the lexus rubber mats to preserve the original ones etc

Full tank of petrol/diesel, flowers for the ladie etc etc

I definitely want to get a used approved, peace of mind and I don’t want the hassles of selling my old IS2000 privately.

If I’m not getting the deal I want is it best just to walk? (its hard to when you want these babies)

Also If I was to buy from one dealership can I deal with my local one for any issues? Hope fully none will come up. (simple question, but needed to be asked :-)

Is it also possible to take the car on a 24hr test drive or is that asking too much?

Btw thanks for the advice so far a few thing that I hadn’t though of before.

Ezz

You can deal over the www or by phone, does not have to be your local dealer in London. You can describe your car ( accurately ) and get an offer of a part exchange subject to site. I've done this a couple of times.

With the market as it is just walk, but leave your phone number ;)

You may get a 24 hour test drive but shouldn't need it. Thirty minutes and a good look round should be enough unless you have specific requirements.

If it less than 3 years old and has full Lexus service history you can take it to any Lexus dealer for warranty and servicing.

When I bought my 06 plate at the end of last year, I found that Autotrader was next to useless. There were very few available, and the prices were either no lower than Lexus approved or if lower there was no reply from the seller.

I waited a couple of weeks checking the Lexus approved nationwide every day, and eventually found one reduced to a good price.

Thanks for the graet advice, i have been checking the dealer websites daily and went to to see an IS250 yesterday.

They started talking about the paint protection program, Tyre insurance, Alloy wheel cover, retail price protection (gap insurance). Any body have any experice or recommend taking them out. They were doing a package for £1000. what do you think of the price, i wasn't planning on taking it out but the alloy wheel and paint protection sounds good.

Ezz

If the car still has warranty the wheels etc will be covered anyway.

I brought an 07 approved Lexus in March. When I was looking for one they were a bit hard to get hold of, I wanted a Claxton Grey with Black interior, I was doing what you are, checking the websites daily and when I saw the type I wanted I got on the blower and asked them to keep it until my old man had been round to look at it as I was overseas.

Obviously the car was immaculate so I brought it, I know it may be higher in price but I got the peace of mind buying an approved car. There was a couple of issues that had to be done like the squeaky dash which is common and a couple of other minor things; they took it back with no queries whatsoever and repaired it. They even changed the locking wheel nuts as the old ones were rusting slightly, this was done under warranty.

I did not negotiate too much on the price as they gave me a fairly good price for my 57 Astra, Lexus Wolverhampton offered me 950 more than Lexus Birmingham did, how they worked that out I don't know :o

The car is back now from the repairs and I am stuck overseas again and not coming home till the end of May. I can't wait to get back and drive the car.

I cannot praise the team at Lexus Wolverhampton enough, they have been real helpful to me keeping in touch via emails and I will drive there to get the car serviced etc even though Lexus Birmingham is nearer.

£950 is a huge difference. It goes to show that it pays serious money to shop around and put the time and petrol into getting the best deal. How long would it take most of us to work to earn a £950? Unless you are a city banker though.

They started talking about the paint protection program, Tyre insurance, Alloy wheel cover, retail price protection (gap insurance).

If you find the car sort that out first then worry about the add-ons. Paint protection is a waste of time, alloy wheels will corrode in the guarantee perion anyway so also a waste of time. Tyre insurance, how many times have you damaged a tyre? Also IMHO a waste of time as they will need replacing at approx 20k and 30k miles. Gap insurance in this financial climate may be good idea, although I have no experience of it, if you think you buy a car now for £30k and it will be worth£16k to £18k in 18 moths with average mileage.

They started talking about the paint protection program, Tyre insurance, Alloy wheel cover, retail price protection (gap insurance).

If you find the car sort that out first then worry about the add-ons. Paint protection is a waste of time, alloy wheels will corrode in the guarantee perion anyway so also a waste of time. Tyre insurance, how many times have you damaged a tyre? Also IMHO a waste of time as they will need replacing at approx 20k and 30k miles. Gap insurance in this financial climate may be good idea, although I have no experience of it, if you think you buy a car now for £30k and it will be worth£16k to £18k in 18 moths with average mileage.

Personally I would stay well clear of all the add-ons. You can normally get them cheaper else where - and if you add up the cost the extra cover, bearing in mind the fact that you may never use it, it's probably cheaper just to deal with any problems as they arise!

FWIW, the approved used check isn't worth the paper it is written on. Whole bunch of checks that you could do yourself and much better than the 'Technician' they have do them. I always prefer to buy my cars around 2 years old and used privately. Any UK car will come with a full 3 year manufacturer factory warranty that covers literally everything. So if there is anything wrong, like corroded alloy wheels, leaking door seals or squeaky dash - then guess what? Its all covered under the original factory warranty and fixable at ANY UK Lexus franchise.

Many Dealerships are using the AUC to cut costs - when a car comes in, it will undergo the AUC check. if anything needs doing then it will be Dealership that will required to spend money to make it up to standard. This means margin on the car is less. So they patch it up, put it through the AUC as if any fault the Customer picks up, guess who pays? If its under 3 year factory warranty - then its Lexus GB and NOT the Dealership who pay. But if the car is >3 Years old - then it is the Lexus AUC that pays. So either way the Dealership can protect their margins...the AUC check peace of mind? Worthless.

Save your money. Buy a good second example and then extend the factory warranty when it comes up for renewal and have peace of mind.

Now it is a well known fact that my last two cars were bought as AUCs - RX was from Lexus Croydon and my current BMW. The RX simply because it was my first Lexus and I didn't know what to look for or expect. My current BMW - there were none available on the private market in the spec. and colour I wanted. So when one turned up at a Dealer, I decided to buy it.

Just my 2p worth.

Personally I would stay well clear of all the add-ons. You can normally get them cheaper else where - and if you add up the cost the extra cover, bearing in mind the fact that you may never use it, it's probably cheaper just to deal with any problems as they arise!

Agree totally with everything that has been said. If you truly want this stuff, then you can source it from the Internet and save yourself quite literally hundreds of pounds (see: car2cover.com). Also, consider how long these things will 'protect' your car for and how long you will keep it? The only item truly worth buying is to pay for extending the Lexus Warranty when it falls due for renewal - best few hundred pounds you will spend in your life.

Thanks guys your advice has been really useful.

I have managed to find that car I like, 2008, SEL, MM, SatNAV, only done 8K going for 25k. I have managed to get them down to 22K (including my trade in) and they are throwing in the, paint protection, tyre and alloy cover and the gap insurance + a full fuel tank, 1 years road tax, the 10k service, refurbing the front 2 alloys, new mats through out. They will not move on the price so I am getting what ever I can out of them. Does it sound ok or should I try for more. Need to decide soon. :D

Is it an auto? Price seems high at £25k as you can but new for a little over £27k from drivethedeal. As already said the extras are not worth having, even if they are "free" you are really paying for them. What is the spec. of your IS200 and we can decide a bit better on the deal to swap.

Yes its an auto.

What’s been difficult is that I want a Codoxton slate with black interior and they have been so hard to get hold off, been searching for 6-8 weeks up and down the country.

My IS200 is a 2002 SE, 107k on the clock, manual, front bumpers got loads of stone chips, some light scratches around the car and immaculate inside, they are giving me £2700 for mine.

Ez

Thanks guys your advice has been really useful.

I have managed to find that car I like, 2008, SEL, MM, SatNAV, only done 8K going for 25k. I have managed to get them down to 22K (including my trade in) and they are throwing in the, paint protection, tyre and alloy cover and the gap insurance + a full fuel tank, 1 years road tax, the 10k service, refurbing the front 2 alloys, new mats through out. They will not move on the price so I am getting what ever I can out of them. Does it sound ok or should I try for more. Need to decide soon. :D

It's clear to see how enthusiastic you are for the new motor. If possible, slow down a bit, there are plenty out there if you are patient and remember dealers never ever just throw things in out of the goodness of their hearts. Throw the extras back at them and ask for a better deal.

Yes its an auto.

What’s been difficult is that I want a Codoxton slate with black interior and they have been so hard to get hold off, been searching for 6-8 weeks up and down the country.

My IS200 is a 2002 SE, 107k on the clock, manual, front bumpers got loads of stone chips, some light scratches around the car and immaculate inside, they are giving me £2700 for mine.

Ez

In your position I would sell privately but insist on cash only. Even if you only got £2K for it (but you should do better than that) you would gain more than the £700 for a no part ex deal. The IS200 is a highly sort after car. Repairs to plastic are a doddle for those guys who can come to you house, and it wont cost the earth. Don't forget to tell buyers that your car is VED group K, not higher.

If you absolutely must have that combination,then I guess that is your perfect car and should accept that you will end up paying a premium for it. I would seriously consdier(as has been suggested by others) the price of a spanking new one vs. this used car before committing. Some serious discounts on new Lexus out there ATM; what ever you do, don't rush in.

Thanks guys, i have been speaking to the dealer and asked for a better deal, im squeezing out more discount lets see how it goes.

Im gonna see if i can sell the IS200 quickly and privatly for more. Im gonna take a deep bretah and play it cool.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links