Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Replacement 6x9 Wireing Info

hi guys. just want to check, i'm fitting new 6x9's in, on removing the old ones i see that the block that plugs into the old speakers (under parcel shelf) has 4 wires due too the 2 speakers on each side, for my new speakers i only need the one pair each side (+ / -) i'm assuming i use the pair that went to the bigger (bottom) driver and no the smaller top speaker yes? red & black / black&brown in this case

I assume that the head unit has the amplifier built in so there should be speaker outputs on the rear if there isn't there will be only phono sockets for the preamp outputs.

Recheck all the wiring.

The old speakers are Bi-Wired i.e they have a bass/midrange cone ( the larger one) and then the treble/tweeter cone ( the small one) the red/black connections should be used for the new speakers but check back to the head unit for correct connections there.

ok, double checked it all, no sound from red / black or blue / grey, checked the workshop manual for wireing colors before the 4 pin connector, manual says rear speaker RH is red + and white -, rear speaker LH is yellow - and black +, i tapped into these wires directly, still no sound, yet original speaker plays with no trouble when plugged back in

:angry:

woohoo, sorted it!

i tried using both pairs as stav suggested and got sound, but it gave me a horrible grasshopper like buzzing through the tweeters, so thought maybe the speakers were duff, i faded the fronts back in, noticed the fronts had the buzzing too, i disconected the rears and the buzzing stopped, so connecting all 4 were giving me the buzz, in the end i cut my losses and ran new speaker wires through the car direct too the head unit leaving the lexus wires out all together, strange stuff eh!

I had to do something similar when I replaced the headunit in my Celsior.

The amplifier was mounted on top of the cd changer in the boot and therefore the speaker connections were also located in the boot so I ran speaker cables (made a taped up harness) from the head unit into the boot then connected them to the exsisting speaker wires.

I also ran a screened phono cable into the boot to provide the drive to the subwoofer amplifier which was fitted where the CD changer was originally located.

Amazingly it worked but did upset the neighbours setting up the system!!! :whistling:

post-12144-1241440129.jpg

the wrong impedance is unlikely to stop speakers working unless the amp has a cut out on, it may however blow the ampif its not stable at anything than its rated impedance.

connecting the twowires together will just send the amp crazy as your sending the signal into and out of the amp! again this could blow the amp.

i would have suggested doing exactly what you did as it sounds like there was a break some where..

feels good when you figure it out yourself though! well done..

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links