Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Engine Noise When Cold

hawk77

Hi guys,

Just recently when I start the engine in the morning I can hear a strong tapping metalic noise from the engine. I've added more oil yesterday but still no go. The engine goes away in few minutes or if I turn on and off the engine few times. I've added some water as per Steve's indications inone of the previous posts and it worked, however the engine was off only for 1 hour. I will see what's the deal in the morning.

The strange thing is the engine is very obvious if I wake up really early(5 am) and is very cold it will make the noise, but if I wake up later(when is getting a bit warmer) is going ok. Is my car trying to tell something?:)) like don't go to work so early.

Is there anything I can do? Change the oil ? I've already top it up and I think the oil is quite clean(still the clear honey colour). I used Shell syntetic one..would that be cause ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

M

What grade of oil are you using? 5w-30? 10w-40?

Hi mate, I use Shell Ultra 5W-40. However, this problem occured just few days ago and it worked just fine so far. The oil filter is K&N one so no chepies there....

Try thicker oil and a Toyota filter- might stop the tapping noise?

Most thinner oils make a engine sound more tappity.

yep when its cold and the oil is having toruble moving around it will tap a bit initially. But as Kam said use thicker oil if its worrying you.

Ok, so what grade do you recommend? And what oil (make)?

Most if not all cars will have a slight tapping noise when its cold or very cold..i believe its normal as they are hydraulics tappets...the noise should go away after a few seconds.....

The IS200 doesn't have hydraulic tappets.

Most if not all cars will have a slight tapping noise when its cold or very cold..i believe its normal as they are hydraulics tappets...the noise should go away after a few seconds.....

The IS200 doesn't have hydraulic tappets.

I noticed something this morning. Over night it was not as cold as other nights so this morning the noise wasn't that bad. I turned off and turned on the engine again and it was ok? Is it something I should be concerned about? If I change the oil, what oil should I use? I would like to use synthetic but I would like to know what brand do you guys recommend..and what grade? Given the fact that is a bit colder outside, a thicker oil should do the job just fine ?

Please advise...

M

mobile 1 0w-40 or Castrol Edge 5w-30 are both good. They are both thin though so you will still get noise however than actually offer more protection than thicker standard oils so I guess it depends if you want the best protection or just eliminate the noise.

mobile 1 0w-40 or Castrol Edge 5w-30 are both good. They are both thin though so you will still get noise however than actually offer more protection than thicker standard oils so I guess it depends if you want the best protection or just eliminate the noise.

Oh well, I want both. Is there anything I could use to have both? I use the Shell 5-40 but I think I could use something thicker. Depends whats best for the IS200 engine.:(

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links