Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Buckled Wheels

Have you hit a large pothole or something?

I think buckled wheels can be straighted out depending how bad the damage is?

No, my car has had a vibration from the rear (i.e. not affertinc the steering/steering wheel) at about 78mph (I noticed this on a private road of course) and I'm trying to think of possible causes.

A buckled wheel may be a long shot though as the vibration is more noticible when lifting off the throttle and there is also a vibration under braking - all from the rear.

I've had a feel of the calipers/wheels after along run and none seem particularly hot... could a warped disc cause a vibration when i'm not braking...?

Could it be a wheel balancing problem? Are the tyre correctly inflated? What tyres are on your car? I had some budget tyres fitted and the tyre fitter told me that most budget tyres are impossible to balance.

Could be warped discs like you say...

coudl the wheels need balancing? i know u normally only balance the fronts but could try with the rears, also as mentioned check ur brakes as they could be binding

I thought all wheels normally needed blancing when tyres were fitted?

coudl the wheels need balancing? i know u normally only balance the fronts but could try with the rears, also as mentioned check ur brakes as they could be binding

if i only balanced the front wheels when i was doing tyres i would get the sack!!! :o !!!!!! when doing any type of tyre front or back you must balance them!!!!

Chris's suggestions of swapping the wheels front to rear sounds like an excellent one. Very easy to do and that will soon tell you whether it's those wheels or not. If there's still vibration from the rear then it's either a brake caliper problem (but I'm not sure this really sounds like that) or a suspension issue.

If you can get your geometry checked either at WIM or somewhere with good machines and expertise, then they should be able to tell if your suspension has been damaged somehow. When did this start, have you only recently got the car or have you had it for a while and it's only just started doing it ?

if i only balanced the front wheels when i was doing tyres i would get the sack!!! :o !!!!!! when doing any type of tyre front or back you must balance them!!!!

my mistake then lol....I musta been having a blonde day....

• 2 months later...

Not really done much to solve the problem, but...... there has been a development...

It seems the vibration/wobble gets worse the hevier the car is. I had a car full yesterday and the vibration was noticibly worse. Dose this point to a particular diagnosis...?

Cheers

Not really done much to solve the problem, but...... there has been a development...

It seems the vibration/wobble gets worse the hevier the car is. I had a car full yesterday and the vibration was noticibly worse. Dose this point to a particular diagnosis...?

Cheers

How many miles has the car done? If its around 90k upwards i'd be suggesting top mounts on the rear shocks...

The car has done 53K miles...... been driving at similar speeds over the last few days (with only me in the car) and the vibration is hardly noticible.... very confusing...?

If as you say it comes from the back it could be :-

1) Out of balance rear tyres (get them checked and re-balanced).

Pressurise all four tyres to 35 P.S.I. when cold and not when hot.

2) Warped/Buckled wheel (as suggested try swapping front wheels with back wheels or maybe use spare wheel ie fit on near side first and do a road test then fit on offside and carry out another road test).

3) Sticking Caliper (check this by jacking up rear end of car and spin wheels by hand-each wheel should turn freely).

4) Propshaft out of Balance/requires new bearings? (get this checked out by a Garage).

Your comment "It is worse when i decelerate" to me points to Propshaft problems as above?

Hope the this helps.

Good luck and keep us informed of the outcomes. :winky:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links