Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Cylinder Head Gasket

Hi all

My IS200 Malfunction light came on earlier along with the TRC OFF light flashing - never seen either of these lights on before !!!. The car came to a complete stop just as I arrived home.

Called the AA who informed me that there was a leak in the radiator that caused overheating which has LED to a probable cylinder head gasket problem. He told me that this is an expensive repair !!!!! Gutted......

My questions are:

1) Whats the likely cost of sorting out the cylinder head gasket ?

2) Will also have to change the radiator, how much will this cost ?

3) Knowing that lexus (Twickenham) will charge me an arm & a couple of legs ! Can any one recommend a reliable independent to carry out this work ?

All comments appreciated.

Thanks

R

Hi all

My IS200 Malfunction light came on earlier along with the TRC OFF light flashing - never seen either of these lights on before !!!. The car came to a complete stop just as I arrived home.

Called the AA who informed me that there was a leak in the radiator that caused overheating which has led to a probable cylinder head gasket problem. He told me that this is an expensive repair !!!!! Gutted......

My questions are:

1) Whats the likely cost of sorting out the cylinder head gasket ?

3) Knowing that lexus (Twickenham) will charge me an arm & a couple of legs ! Can any one recommend a reliable independent to carry out this work ?

All comments appreciated.

Thanks

R

what i would do is put a radiator in it approx £140(but get it checked(pressure tested) not seen a is200 rad leak yet) put a new thermostat in it and try that first no point in jumpin in head first mate.if you still need to do the head gasket well you have some of the bits you were needing anyway so you've not lost anything.

gasket kits with bolts are approx£100

timing belt kit approx £70

coolant approx £30

water pump approx £100

oil filter approx £8 (lexus one)

oil approx £40

approx 6-7 hours labour

if your taking it to a garage if you source all the parts it will be cheaper for you!!

• Like 1

Thanks for that !

I need to find a local garage that I trust to carry out the work. Do you trust your motor with independent garages ? I've only ever taken it to Lexus before but feel as though I get robbed every time.

You can pick up a new (patterned part) radiator for £120-£130. A replacement from Lexus is £250!

• 5 years later...

Hi Rej,

I am new member from the forum, just saw ur post which was back in 2009, hope ur overheating problem is now sorted, do u still own the IS200? I have one too (imported Toyota Altezza, same as IS200 year 1999) for a few years now and must say it is such a strong car, never had any problem until just this week when the heating meter went up to over-heat zone (but I didn't have malfunction light of TRC off coming on, just the overheating needle went up). The water was running low so I topped it up and for the last 2-3 days it stayed ok but obviously I still want to get it checked. Like u, I always took my car into Lexus for MOT, services, even changing brakes, though I haven't needed a repair so far, and yes I feel like I have to spend my life-saving each time. :megaangry:

The thing is, I am getting very frustrated with Lexus (I live I Manchester) here, I approached 3 local branches and have fallen out with them, and it is their attitude. I merely rang up to get a rough idea on parts price, and what might be the problem (although a few friends know a bit about cars and do fix their own so they have given me some ideas but they are not professionals), but the Lexus people just went on and on about 'it is probably the head gasket or something worse, which will cost you thousands and your car doesn't worth that much, is it worth getting it sorted.' I feel they are just telling me to scrap the car, the thing is, I am prepared to spend whatever money I needed to (but reasonable of course) as I love my car and I buy/drive a car which I intend to keep until the day when it won't just start anymore. I do know my car is old, but I also know it is still road worthy and do not need scrapping. In the end, I didn't even get a quote from them, that's why I am not going back to Lexus.

Sorry about the lengthy explanation, I just feel that they just fobe me off hearing the car registration and mileage, now I am prepare to go to another garage whether it be local or another dealership like Honda for example, but I feel I need to do some study/research in case I get rob off again. Did you manage to get ur problem sorted, and did it cause you a lot? P.S From several replies you got, I agree with the others, I have never heard another IS having serious problems, and I know my car, I am sure you would agree, IS200 is one of the best Lexus, better than new Lexus, you should try the imported version, my Altezza is just..... what can I say, I test drove CT 200 and IS300h (last year and this year model respectively), still can't compare to IS200/Altezza!!!

Thanks for your time.....

Lightlady516 :)

Hi Julie, welcome to the LOC, I had my is200 for nearly 9 years , always had it serviced by a small back street garage without any problems, ask around local car parts suppliers if they could recommend any good reliable mechanics and I mean mechanics not just fitters there is a big difference between the two ! You could ask local RAC for any reliable workshops, ... If you didn't drive for long or far with the car overheating then it should be ok, check the oil for any water that might have mixed with it ( the oil will be milky ). Check the oil filler cap also for the same thing ,milky substance, if these checks are negative then check the water in the radiator for oil particals , if this is clear then the head gasket is probably ok , you can get any descent garage to do a pressure check on the rad and diagnose the water from the rad for carbon particals which could mean head gasket, these checks at a garage should take no longer than 30mins max....hope this info is handy for you, good luck.....

Allan

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links