Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Strange One With Central Locking, Opinions Please.

Ok so here's the issue I got back to my car after work today and when I went to unlock the car remotely nothing happend, likewise I couldn't open the boot. I used the key in the lock and if I turned the key and pulled the handle simultaneously I could open the door but the alarm would sound continually, also this only unlocked the drivers door. If I just turned the key in the door lock then the door would remained locked and the alarm would sound. Also if I unlocked the boot with the key the boot would open but once again you guessed it the alarm would sound.

In then end I opened the door as described above and drove away with the alarm stopping after a short period. Concerned I drove home had something to eat consulted a couple of threads on here along with my Lexus owners manual, at this point I thought it prudent to check the fuses for the central locking system. When I went out to the car (having left it unlocked) I removed the passenger side fuse cover and at this point I tried the buttons on my key fob, they worked! I couldn't believe it!

So what I'm asking is has anyone had this here before and if so was it just a glitch or an indication of something more going wrong?

thanks in advance.

i have had it sometimes that mine would not lock. The remote works at certain frequences that also some electrical stuff works at. like if i take a new is250 to 1 of my mates house it kills his wireless internet. just keep a eye on it. or try replacing the Battery in the key if it has not been changed for a while :)

Ok so here's the issue I got back to my car after work today and when I went to unlock the car remotely nothing happend, likewise I couldn't open the boot. I used the key in the lock and if I turned the key and pulled the handle simultaneously I could open the door but the alarm would sound continually, also this only unlocked the drivers door. If I just turned the key in the door lock then the door would remained locked and the alarm would sound. Also if I unlocked the boot with the key the boot would open but once again you guessed it the alarm would sound.

In then end I opened the door as described above and drove away with the alarm stopping after a short period. Concerned I drove home had something to eat consulted a couple of threads on here along with my Lexus owners manual, at this point I thought it prudent to check the fuses for the central locking system. When I went out to the car (having left it unlocked) I removed the passenger side fuse cover and at this point I tried the buttons on my key fob, they worked! I couldn't believe it!

So what I'm asking is has anyone had this here before and if so was it just a glitch or an indication of something more going wrong?

thanks in advance.

I have seen this problem a few times on the forum, from what I remember reading, some frequencies (e.g radio transmitters) can effect the key fob causing it to interfere with the remote control frequency. That may have been the problem you had, its happened to me a couple of times

shak

thanks in advance.

i have had it sometimes that mine would not lock. The remote works at certain frequences that also some electrical stuff works at. like if i take a new is250 to 1 of my mates house it kills his wireless internet. just keep a eye on it. or try replacing the battery in the key if it has not been changed for a while :)

Ok further information is the fact that this morning at home my fob worked perfectly, now I am parked in my usual position at a friend house this morning the key fob wouldn't operate at all once again. So this does seem to fall in line with the possible wireless interference suggestions that I have had from some of you. I park outside a block of flats so it is more than possible that there are a number of routers that could be causing me troubles. Tonight I shall try driving around the corner and using the fob there as aopposed to waiting so long and travelling so far before retesting the fob.

As for the batteries in my fob they haven't been changed in the two years I have had the car, however I have tried my other two keys and neither of those solved my problem. As such I'm lessinclined to believe it's a Battery issue.

Frankly I hope that's the cause as machanics and electronics = exspense! That said it's a damned annoying issue if it is gonna happen everyday.

Thanks everyone who has replied so far the possibility that it is just interference has at least put my mind toi rest slightly. :blush:

As for the batteries in my fob they haven't been changed in the two years I have had the car, however I have tried my other two keys and neither of those solved my problem. As such I'm lessinclined to believe it's a battery issue.

It is highly possible that it is wireless interference, but don't completely rule out the batteries. I had exactly the same problem a few years ago, and thought the same until it started working and not working intermittently outside my house. Tried the spare keys and they all had the same problem - all the red lights were flashing fine but would not reliably open or lock the car.

Discovered in the end that simply all the batteries were dead, changed it and they were all fine from then on. For the sake of a few quid might be worth changing the Battery (seeing as it hasn't been changed for a few years) to check as it could save you a lot of hassle.

As for the batteries in my fob they haven't been changed in the two years I have had the car, however I have tried my other two keys and neither of those solved my problem. As such I'm lessinclined to believe it's a battery issue.

It is highly possible that it is wireless interference, but don't completely rule out the batteries. I had exactly the same problem a few years ago, and thought the same until it started working and not working intermittently outside my house. Tried the spare keys and they all had the same problem - all the red lights were flashing fine but would not reliably open or lock the car.

Discovered in the end that simply all the batteries were dead, changed it and they were all fine from then on. For the sake of a few quid might be worth changing the Battery (seeing as it hasn't been changed for a few years) to check as it could save you a lot of hassle.

Ok mate will do do you know what batteries they are, how much they are and where I might get them? Sorry for all the questions but I want to sort this little problem out. Also when replacing the batteries is there any particular process involved i.e does the fob need reprogramming?

Thanks again for your advice!

Ok mate will do do you know what batteries they are, how much they are and where I might get them? Sorry for all the questions but I want to sort this little problem out. Also when replacing the batteries is there any particular process involved i.e does the fob need reprogramming?

Not trying to bully you into it or anything, just that I felt a little silly after thinking it was a serious problem and then found out it was just a dead Battery :blush:

The battery's a CR1616, no reprogramming needed, just take the back cover off (remove the little screw) and swap the batteries. Finding it was a little tough, no normal shops had them when I tried. Best bet would be Maplin if you've got one local, or else just order it off the net.

Not trying to bully you into it or anything, just that I felt a little silly after thinking it was a serious problem and then found out it was just a dead Battery :blush:

The battery's a CR1616, no reprogramming needed, just take the back cover off (remove the little screw) and swap the batteries. Finding it was a little tough, no normal shops had them when I tried. Best bet would be Maplin if you've got one local, or else just order it off the net.

Just bought one mate, got it from a local photography shop, so I'll replace it now and hopefully it'll help me out, don't worry stevewevie I didn't think you were bullying at all. I've thought for a while about changing the Battery. I'll let you guys know if it solves my problems.

Thanks

lexus changed my batteries for free when I had the same problem, but it turned out it was interference near my house that was the issue

Thanks to everyone for their help, in the end replacing the keys did the trick, I was very releaved thatr it was nothing more wrong.

I'm gonna get the batteries changed in my other fobs now, however I have been invited tto the launch of the RX450H so I will take the fobs to the Poole dealer and see if they do it while I'm there. Top plan me thinks!

This forum is brilliant! Thanks especially to steviewevie.

They might do it for nought, though if they do charge it will only be a couple of pound.

Trying to remember if they do it every so many years as part of the service?

Glad its fixed - taxi ranks sometimes interfere too. If your batteries are low then the transmitting power could drop in which case any interference will swomp the remote!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links