Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi, This is now my second post!!! wahooo!!

weve just bought an RX300 on a 53 plate. Ive been doing some searching tonight for various things as im still learning my way around, but thought id post what my wife was willing to pay for our car. (Some of you maybe interested, also it may give me an idea on how good or bad the deal was!!)

So an honest and fair write up, Its the SE with the satnav. 80,000 miles, bodywork probably good but with the age/mileage related stone chips on bonnet and bumper etc. Front tyres 3mm left in the centre maybe slightly less on the outside edge. Rear tyres slightly better. Bubbling on all four wheels, roof rack bubbling. The interior is not mint, i would suggest OK. It has the age related marks i guess, especially in the boot. The front discs look like they will need replacing soon (they got picked up on the last service sheet). Full lexus service history, but with only one service sheet. Former company car with one owner.

The drive is faultless and very smooth. Ive had a look around and all the electrics appear to work. The only issue i believe is someone left some coins beneath the cup holders as i can hear a slight rattle/jingle when i go over bumps!

It was bought from a private garage, the seller stated to my wife that he could not apparently afford to knock a single penny off the ten grand asking price, and wanted a 500 quid not refundable deposit. It comes with a free 3 month parts and labour warranty that is limited to 500 pounds and covers the engine and gearbox only.

9 and a half grand paid after she put down a 500 pound deposit!! Total 10 grand.

Now the question!! Well it had to come!!! would it be possible/advisable to approach lexus and get them to put it under a lexus warranty? There are no issues just yet?

many thanks

You can purchase a Lexus extended warranty for a vehicle up to 7 years old/140,000 miles. Not sure how much it would cost, probably around £900 for a year and maybe a discount if you purchase two years together??

Whether you think it is worth it is another matter. There are cheaper 3rd party warranties available but most won't pay main dealer labour rates and the Lexus one will cover virtually everything.

£10k for a 6 year old RX that, by the OPs own admission, is fat short of being a minter...this is some kind of joke right?

As for the Lexus Warranty, if the car lapses then you cannot buy into the warranty...but this is irrelevant as you didn't actually buy this vehicle in reality.

£10k for a 6 year old RX that, by the OPs own admission, is fat short of being a minter...this is some kind of joke right?

As for the Lexus Warranty, if the car lapses then you cannot buy into the warranty...but this is irrelevant as you didn't actually buy this vehicle in reality.

No its no joke. My wife put down the 500 quid deposit before i even had chance to start investigating. Whenever i decide to buy a car it takes ages of homework first. Last week she told me she wanted an rx and the same week shes put down a 500 POUND deposit on one shes seen. Its a great car and we both do love it as its such a nice drive. But i did gather that she paid top dollar. The good news is, i have established that is it indeed coins that are beneath the cup holders so at least ill be able to get some money back!! (as soon as i figure out how to get the cup holders out!!!)

No its no joke. My wife put down the 500 quid deposit before i even had chance to start investigating.

Crickey mate, if you have money to burn then I sell you a polystyrene cup that will snugly fit into any of your cup holders for a bargain price of £50 each...

Top dollar? That doesn't even begin to cover it...try paying twice what the car is actually worth (if that).

About to buy a 2003 53 RX300SE, 27000miles with satnav. Recently serviced with new front pads and discs. generally in pretty good condition. Any opinions on a fair price?

Bought my 03 53 rx300 just before christmas, around 48,000 on the clock, se model with sat-nav, near mint condition. for near enough £9.000 local dealer.

Bought my 2003 RX300 SE Navigator in January with 53000mls on the clock from a Lexus Main Dealer, paid £10,400, inclusive of Service, RAC Cover and one years full Lexus Guarantee. The car is amazing, really comfortable and a pleasure to drive, money well spent. On mixed driving I get about 26 m.p.g and 32 m.p.g. on Motorways.

Well i'm looking to sale my o4 Rx300se with SatNav bluetooth/front parking sensors 65000 on the clock for around £9,500 or will part exchange for a Rx400se which i have seen at a dealer an im in the process of trying to haggle a decent price for mine....I've looked on autotrader and the decent Rx300se with low miles seem to be just above the 10 grand mark.....

I rather think that your wife has been done. Quite apart from the unrealistically high price for a car in less than good order - the tyres are scrap to practical purpose for starters. The dealer cannot limit his liability in law in the fashion your describe.

Might be cheaper to lose your £500.00.

Hi, This is now my second post!!! wahooo!!

weve just bought an RX300 on a 53 plate. Ive been doing some searching tonight for various things as im still learning my way around, but thought id post what my wife was willing to pay for our car. (Some of you maybe interested, also it may give me an idea on how good or bad the deal was!!)

So an honest and fair write up, Its the SE with the satnav. 80,000 miles, bodywork probably good but with the age/mileage related stone chips on bonnet and bumper etc. Front tyres 3mm left in the centre maybe slightly less on the outside edge. Rear tyres slightly better. Bubbling on all four wheels, roof rack bubbling. The interior is not mint, i would suggest OK. It has the age related marks i guess, especially in the boot. The front discs look like they will need replacing soon (they got picked up on the last service sheet). Full lexus service history, but with only one service sheet. Former company car with one owner.

The drive is faultless and very smooth. Ive had a look around and all the electrics appear to work. The only issue i believe is someone left some coins beneath the cup holders as i can hear a slight rattle/jingle when i go over bumps!

It was bought from a private garage, the seller stated to my wife that he could not apparently afford to knock a single penny off the ten grand asking price, and wanted a 500 quid not refundable deposit. It comes with a free 3 month parts and labour warranty that is limited to 500 pounds and covers the engine and gearbox only.

9 and a half grand paid after she put down a 500 pound deposit!! Total 10 grand.

Now the question!! Well it had to come!!! would it be possible/advisable to approach lexus and get them to put it under a lexus warranty? There are no issues just yet?

many thanks

About to buy a 2003 53 RX300SE, 27000miles with satnav. Recently serviced with new front pads and discs. generally in pretty good condition. Any opinions on a fair price?

I'd be more worried about the mileage.

4000 a year suggests lots of local journeys with the car never really reaching working temperature. Not ideal at all.

4000 a year suggests lots of local journeys with the car never really reaching working temperature. Not ideal at all.

Remember though that is a petrol V6 lump. No turbo, no fancy DPF or otherwise. Straightforward tried and tested solid petrol engine. They do tend to get up to operating efficiency pretty quick from what I recall of mine. Although agreed, this does seem excessively low miles. I'd like to find out why - as there may be a perfectly reasonable explanation (second car in house? used by elderly relative? bought but found to be too expensive to run?) ...

• 2 weeks later...

Remember though that is a petrol V6 lump. No turbo, no fancy DPF or otherwise. Straightforward tried and tested solid petrol engine. They do tend to get up to operating efficiency pretty quick from what I recall of mine. Although agreed, this does seem excessively low miles. I'd like to find out why - as there may be a perfectly reasonable explanation (second car in house? used by elderly relative? bought but found to be too expensive to run?) ...

You do not mention the one thing likely to fail first - the catalytic converter. These must get up to operating temperature, if not they corrode from the inside out and simply fail. That means noise and/or failing the emissions test.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links