Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What Bhp Will My Car Have Now....

Do you guys remember the Top Gear episode where they all bought cheap supercars, and some of them had 1/2 the power they had when new? Now these italian supercars obviously had carbs and points and other archaic tech, whereas the Lexus is EFI controlled.

I was debating the merits of a Jag XJR V8 with a mate of mine and then I thought of that episode. Now I would like more power as these days even a supermini can have 200bhp, 260bhp isnt so great. I do enjoy a waft, but given Im usually late leaving from work, most days involve a 40 mile 'spirited' round trip doewn the dual carriageway to and from work in sport mode. Its not worth it (to me at least) getting the 98-2000 LS400, as its too samey as my 1997 model. 2001 on its too rich for me right now, and looks like a cross between a pope mobile and a stretched Citroen C3 but is very refined , opulent and fast. Thing is the 2005 ones with the 6 speed autoboxes are even more desireable and even more too rich for my meagre wallet !

Now the Lex will be off road if I cannt sell at a price that doesnt subject me to a massive taking down of the trousers, but then I though if I am keeping it, then how much horsepower had my car 'lost' since that last time it was comprehesively serviced in 2004, or indeed since new. I could get a performance boost by merely servicing it and with the right oil alone, as I reckon its got dino 20/50 or 10/40 at best, but I reckon 20/50!!!! And if I changed the plugs, dizzy caps and rotors, how many horses (or even ponies .... yearlings...foals) will I find?

If its anything like my old BMW 750il, theyre probably the original dizzy caps and rotors!

It would be interesting to know if anyone has rolling roaded their Mk3s and found out exactly what BHP theyre putting out

hi

i agree with you regarding the looks of the 430 - the 53 plates are better looking!

sorry i cannot answer your question and this may be going off topic but you mention owning a 750il - how does a beemer compare to the lex? comfort reliability build quality??

The feel of the LS400 is similar to the BMW E32 750il. It was diamond black with tan leather and E39 sport alloy wheels. Despite being a 1988 other than some small corrosion on the front wings by the bumpers and the duff aircon, it was mint. Acceleration felt like being pulled to the horizon by elastic and it was silky smooth. It has ADS suspension which had sport/comfort mode and would select sport automatically if driving enthusiastically and LAD (self levelling rear suspension) . Even the rear seats were fully electric and it DID have a trip computer and warning messages readout. I never had any mechanical issues with it. The driver seat control started moving itself, which would be a new control unit, but I had to get rid of the car when the fuel lines corroded and I didnt have a driveway to fix it. To me that was the best built car and still is, even the boot was fully lined with plush carpet, not that yucky furry plastic in the Lexus. It was brilliant and I looked for anothe before the Lexus, but couldnt find one with airbags and rear picnic tables.

A 1997 Lexus isnt as good as my old 1988 E32 750Il, but then cost of the BMW when new must have been £50k even back then. Its a testement that the Lexus runs it so close in leather quality and build, and drive (in comfort mode at leaast) , although I still miss my BMW.

Thirsty old tool though 15mpg compared to the Lexus 25mpg, also rear ADS shocks are £1000 a pair, so Lexus doesnt have a monopoly on ludicrous parts prices.

I think that these mega-money cars of the mid 80s to mid 90's were the best built ever as they were built by engineers not accountants, Lexus forced these manufacturers to cut costs and increase technology, NOT a happy marriage proven by the E38 BMW and W140 MB. I had a 1996 W140 and sold it for the BMW E32 as it was a 5th of the cost to insurance and built so much better.

Do you guys remember the Top Gear episode where they all bought cheap supercars, and some of them had 1/2 the power they had when new? Now these italian supercars obviously had carbs and points and other archaic tech, whereas the Lexus is EFI controlled.

I was debating the merits of a Jag XJR V8 with a mate of mine and then I thought of that episode. Now I would like more power as these days even a supermini can have 200bhp, 260bhp isnt so great. I do enjoy a waft, but given Im usually late leaving from work, most days involve a 40 mile 'spirited' round trip doewn the dual carriageway to and from work in sport mode. Its not worth it (to me at least) getting the 98-2000 LS400, as its too samey as my 1997 model. 2001 on its too rich for me right now, and looks like a cross between a pope mobile and a stretched Citroen C3 but is very refined , opulent and fast. Thing is the 2005 ones with the 6 speed autoboxes are even more desireable and even more too rich for my meagre wallet !

Now the Lex will be off road if I cannt sell at a price that doesnt subject me to a massive taking down of the trousers, but then I though if I am keeping it, then how much horsepower had my car 'lost' since that last time it was comprehesively serviced in 2004, or indeed since new. I could get a performance boost by merely servicing it and with the right oil alone, as I reckon its got dino 20/50 or 10/40 at best, but I reckon 20/50!!!! And if I changed the plugs, dizzy caps and rotors, how many horses (or even ponies .... yearlings...foals) will I find?

If its anything like my old BMW 750il, theyre probably the original dizzy caps and rotors!

It would be interesting to know if anyone has rolling roaded their Mk3s and found out exactly what BHP theyre putting out

If you time it 0-60 it should give you some indication if you need to replace your plugs dizzy caps & rotors, the correct grade oil would 100% help. Top gear found 40 bhp on that v6 reno magentis with a good service I believe.

If you time it 0-60 it should give you some indication if you need to replace your plugs dizzy caps & rotors, the correct grade oil would 100% help. Top gear found 40 bhp on that v6 reno magentis with a good service I believe.

Good idea. With the car at temp and 1/2 tank and me only, and according to the stop watch on my phone my 0-60 is 7.2

So its not off pace then - it just feels slow ;)

Good idea. With the car at temp and 1/2 tank and me only, and according to the stop watch on my phone my 0-60 is 7.2

They are deceptively quick, I love driving mine on the autobahns in Germany, off the slip & into the quick lane in effortless seconds.

They are deceptively quick, I love driving mine on the autobahns in Germany, off the slip & into the quick lane in effortless seconds.

I do soooooo agree, but my problem is one of restraint. I had thought Id gotten all sensible over the years, but back in a powerful car and the old habits are resurfacing. I do get to hear my V8 snarl most days ........

In many ways a car that was rawer would be more of a restraint.

I think this is a case of doubt setting in from seeing things on TV (bit like hi-fi....you get used to your equipment, then read a rave review and start wondering!).

My Ser 4 still kicks it on M-Ways -as yesterday on M4.(Thanks, Lexus Bristol for the free oil change!)

I guess we just get used to them and it feels slower because of that?

relax....No don't.....concentrate!

As to BMs...I switched to Lexus from an 850 V-12, after various minor, but expensive hiccups. Electric gear shifts! The 850 got to 130 on M4 on way home from buying it -allegedly - :whistling: liked the look but the expense wasn't reassuring. Prefer the Lexus....obviously as I'm on my second.

• 4 weeks later...

Seems we all have the same experience. We drive around in our fantastic Lexus thinking they are getting slower and something is the matter.

I have found the answer to this malaise........i get into my wifes Landrover Disco 300TDI. What a bag of *******.

Its noisy, slow and wallows about on corner like theres a double wardrobe filled with water strapped to the roof.

Then i get back into my 93 400 and all is well agian.

what a wonderful thing is the Lexus 400. Wouldnt be without it.

I would like to give it a service though, so what spark plugs, filters and oil should i use. any info?

I have only ever used Castrol Edge as apposed to Magnetec. Edge is fully synthetic and I did have a slight increase in MPG as well. I change mine every six months or 5,000 miles. Probably overkill but it's worth it. The oil that comes out doesn't seem that dirty so either the inside of my engine is really clean, or it's not going round it.

The engine does feel slightly looser which should give me a couple more bhp but I'd never feel that.

Thanks for that. I think a service is on th ecards some time next week. Ive always liked castrol Magnetec.

Ill let you know if it runs any better after a service. at the no its hunting a bit.

Hi the hunting could be down to a dirty maf sensor, I took mine off & cleaned it with some carb cleaner cured the slight hunting I had.

Thanks for that. I think a service is on th ecards some time next week. Ive always liked castrol Magnetec.

Ill let you know if it runs any better after a service. at the no its hunting a bit.

Hi the hunting could be down to a dirty maf sensor, I took mine off & cleaned it with some carb cleaner cured the slight hunting I had.

thats realy interesting. Where is this filter and how do i get at it. When it passed the MOT last week the only thing the machanic said he had problems with was getting the imission down. I suppose that could have something to do with it.

thats realy interesting. Where is this filter and how do i get at it. When it passed the MOT last week the only thing the machanic said he had problems with was getting the imission down. I suppose that could have something to do with it.

Hi its between the air filter & the inlet manifold, if you are not that mechanicly minded better let someone who is do it as the sensor is fragile & you dont want to have to buy a new one.

• 2 months later...

it was 90bhp i think it was down to the broken inlet manifold, your mk3 propbably makes 255-260bhp, modern cars don't lose much unless they have somethign broken.

I've just been talking to Lexus in Croydon. They recommended using 5w40 fully synthetic oil for the LS 400 (MKIV). There is no need to use 20w50 because the car has a higher mileage, I've learnt that from experience. Most modern engines should only use the recommended oil from the manufacturer from 0 to whatever thousands of miles.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links