Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I collected my car on Thursday night and drove some 200 miles honme (it should have been 96 miles). It drtives so smoothly and qiuetly, no squeaks or rattles (unlike the Jag). This was quite disturbing at first, especially sat at traffic lights wondering if it was still running. The car is in really excellent condition all round-the interior belies the 221,000 miles now on the clock.

However, this being a sub £1,000 car there were bound to be faults, and I hae found a few, none of which detract from the pleasure of owning this car. I am hoping people on here can point me in the right direction to sort them out:

• The main overhead light does not work (but both map lights do, as do all the other interior lights)

• No backlight on the stereo LCD panel nor on the gear selector

• The Motorola phone will not switch on (no loss really, but if it is there, why not have it working?)

• The locks operate with just this key-I don't think it is chipped

LexusKeyII.jpg

• There was this fob in the armrest. Is it the right typefor a '95 model? I have seen the reprogramming instructons on clublexus.com for an ES300-will the same work on my 1995 LS400? And how do I put in a fresh battery-there is no obvious place for it o go (and no marks on the fob anywhere to indicate where it should go)?

LexusRemoteFobII-1.jpg

And the radio is excellent as the sound clarity is better than EVERY standard car set up I have played. I'am sure that it can be improved with amps and speakers, so will leave it in place. And thanks Manc for the iPod suggestion, although with the 6 CD changer being in the glovebox (as oppossed to being in the boot as was the case in all my other cars) means they can be changed easily, and I just HATE trailing wires).

And it has just occurred to me, that out of the 30 odd cars I have owned or run as company cars, not one has been Japanse (but I have owned 60 or so Japanese motor bikes).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Good choice mate.

The illumination on the stereo and gear box.....it usually links to a blinky dash board. the dash starts blinking occasionally, mainly when cold then eventually (after 18mths) it will go off all if not most of the time.

I had my dash fixed and it cured the center console too.

The maplight should just be a bulb, if not pull the housing out and check the connector behind.

I get dodgy window switches too and the passenger door sometimes wont open/lock with the rest and i have to put the key in to work it.

Check if you can get all the ball joints re-greased, you have to buy control arms if they go and it can get expensive as you should replace both sides together wether both have gone or not.

I know what u mean about the wires but its all i can do, ive seen some replacement radios making the dash look cheap with crappy surrounding...

hi

i have a 94 model not 100% our keys are the same but they look it, to do Battery its undo a tiny screw on the back of the key and careful prize apart there is a circuit board in here so take it easy.mine has no chip in it and one button if that helps.cant help with the remote fob i wasn't lucky enough to have one !

Hi,

Good choice mate.

The illumination on the stereo and gear box.....it usually links to a blinky dash board. the dash starts blinking occasionally, mainly when cold then eventually (after 18mths) it will go off all if not most of the time.

I had my dash fixed and it cured the center console too.

The maplight should just be a bulb, if not pull the housing out and check the connector behind.

I get dodgy window switches too and the passenger door sometimes wont open/lock with the rest and i have to put the key in to work it.

Check if you can get all the ball joints re-greased, you have to buy control arms if they go and it can get expensive as you should replace both sides together wether both have gone or not.

I know what u mean about the wires but its all i can do, ive seen some replacement radios making the dash look cheap with crappy surrounding...

Dash board is fine-no blinking at all, but then it may do when the weather is cold, but i have no reason to thik it will.

Maplight wasn't the bulb-the switch is broken inside, but i'll get one from a breakers somewhere. All windows 100% (as in fact everything else appears to be). Ball joints replaced at MOT time in January this year.

And you are right, changing the stereo will ruin the asthetics of the interior-I'm sure there is a way around it using a decent transmitter.

And kpnuts-the series III doesn't have a chip in the key that I can se or have read about-ther remote just locks and unlocks the doors, the key does the same and starts the car (like ordinary keys always used too!)

Looking at the little round key that you also show, I suspect that you have an alarm under the bonnet, probably under the foot of the windscreen on tha passenger side. This little round key is to silence the car alarm siren. You may also see some estra wires entering the main loom which goes into the cabin here too.

What month of 1995 is your car.

1995 was when lexus and Thatcham started installing cat-1 alarms. look here for some more details/clues.

http://www.thatcham.org/security/pdfs/compliance.pdf

Page 17 lists LS400 1995 twice, 3rd and 8th rows down. I have a Scorpion unit and can give some advice if you wish.

Looking at the little round key that you also show, I suspect that you have an alarm under the bonnet, probably under the foot of the windscreen on tha passenger side. This little round key is to silence the car alarm siren. You may also see some estra wires entering the main loom which goes into the cabin here too.

1995 was when lexus and Thatcham started installing cat-1 alarms. look here for some more details/clues.

Page 17 lists LS400 1995 twice, 3rd and 8th rows down. I have a Scorpion unit and can give some advice if you wish.

The key fob you have is only able to be used with an LS460 or LS600h no other LS will take this type of fob as far as I know.

My Dad has had a new LS every year since 1990 and the first one with such a key fob was the LS460.

I think it was left in your car by mistake...

You should check that, because if someone has misplaced that key, it is a VERY big deal to get replaced...

There is a bracket right where you said! It lookslike where an alarm siren sat, but not looked too closely for any extra wiring. There is nothing in the cabin of the car that would indicate a switch or anything-maybe why it did not come with the proper Lexus remorte? Mine was registered in January 1995.

The key fob you have is only able to be used with an LS460 or LS600h no other LS will take this type of fob as far as I know.

My Dad has had a new LS every year since 1990 and the first one with such a key fob was the LS460.

You should check that, because if someone has misplaced that key, it is a VERY big deal to get replaced...

Thanks for that-I was told by someone on clublexus.com it was for an ES350-anyway, sold it on eBay for £26.00 (simply advertised as a Lexus remote)stating in MAYBE one from an ES. If someone knew what is was for, then they have got a bargain.

I still can't find one for my LS anywhere-looks like the main dealer will be getting my money (as a very last resort (although I could drop it in at an alarm place to have a look at).

I have been told that when the LS400s were imported in 1995, the dealers had the alarms fitted to meet the Thatcham cat-1 standard. Normally they are located behind the glove box. To install the alarm, the fitter had to cut into the main loom and only black wires are used to wire it it, so as it is harded to bypass by a theif.

Getting the glove box out is pretty eacy, 2 nuts and a about 5 screws.

I have 2 LS400s, the one registered in March 95 (VIN JT153 2000 0146xx) has a Scorpion 5000 Alarm with 2 button remote, and other registered in Feb 95 (VIN JT153 2000 00045xx) has a clifford alarm, not sure of model number but instruction booklet has copyright 2001 on the back, so i suspect it is an aftermarket model.

"maybe" bacause your car is Jan 95, it might not have had a Thatcham alarm fitted, just missing the January start.

Hopefully the alarm horn in the engine bay can provide some clues, otherwise a gentle call to Lexus GB might help if they have records from 1995, they will ask you for the VIN. But the little key on your keyring is the same as my Scorpion horn key. await your feedback.

I have been told that when the LS400s were imported in 1995, the dealers had the alarms fitted to meet the Thatcham cat-1 standard. Normally they are located behind the glove box. To install the alarm, the fitter had to cut into the main loom and only black wires are used to wire it it, so as it is harded to bypass by a theif.

Getting the glove box out is pretty eacy, 2 nuts and a about 5 screws.

I have 2 LS400s, the one registered in March 95 (VIN JT153 2000 0146xx) has a Scorpion 5000 Alarm with 2 button remote, and other registered in Feb 95 (VIN JT153 2000 00045xx) has a clifford alarm, not sure of model number but instruction booklet has copyright 2001 on the back, so i suspect it is an aftermarket model.

"maybe" bacause your car is Jan 95, it might not have had a Thatcham alarm fitted, just missing the January start.

Hopefully the alarm horn in the engine bay can provide some clues, otherwise a gentle call to Lexus GB might help if they have records from 1995, they will ask you for the VIN. But the little key on your keyring is the same as my Scorpion horn key. await your feedback.

That's interesting information. I have all the Lexus service receipts from new, but nothing ever mentions anything about an alarm. Howver, every year the invoices show a "Remote Battery Change"-maybe the alarm remote?

I am working away at the moment, but as soon as I get home I'll have a good look under the bonnet and will remove the glovebox to have a look for wiring. For what it is worth, the car was registered very early in Jan 1995.I am intrigued now, and a call to Lexus will be made very soon-the original owner spent a fortune on servicing and keeping the car in A1 condition, so they maybe willing to assist.

There is a bracket right where you said! It lookslike where an alarm siren sat, but not looked too closely for any extra wiring. There is nothing in the cabin of the car that would indicate a switch or anything-maybe why it did not come with the proper Lexus remorte? Mine was registered in January 1995.

Thanks for that-I was told by someone on clublexus.com it was for an ES350-anyway, sold it on eBay for £26.00 (simply advertised as a Lexus remote)stating in MAYBE one from an ES. If someone knew what is was for, then they have got a bargain.

I still can't find one for my LS anywhere-looks like the main dealer will be getting my money (as a very last resort (although I could drop it in at an alarm place to have a look at).

I'd have thought the more curtious thing to do would be contact the previous owner or garage and see if they are missing a key.

I'd have thought the more curtious thing to do would be contact the previous owner or garage and see if they are missing a key.

When I purchased the car the owner (who had owned it a while) said that there was a fob in the glovebox that he was given (I presume by the owner before him), but he had never tried it out as it had no power. I put a new Battery in it and the red light lit when a button was pressed. It was only then I was told it would not work with the LS400.

If I thought that he left it in the car by accident (he now has a Soarer) I would of course have returned it to him.

Still doesn't get me any closer to getting a remote fob for my car though.............

I collected my car on Thursday night and drove some 200 miles honme (it should have been 96 miles). It drtives so smoothly and qiuetly, no squeaks or rattles (unlike the Jag). This was quite disturbing at first, especially sat at traffic lights wondering if it was still running. The car is in really excellent condition all round-the interior belies the 221,000 miles now on the clock.

However, this being a sub £1,000 car there were bound to be faults, and I hae found a few, none of which detract from the pleasure of owning this car. I am hoping people on here can point me in the right direction to sort them out:

• The main overhead light does not work (but both map lights do, as do all the other interior lights)

• No backlight on the stereo LCD panel nor on the gear selector

• The Motorola phone will not switch on (no loss really, but if it is there, why not have it working?)

• The locks operate with just this key-I don't think it is chipped

LexusKeyII.jpg

• There was this fob in the armrest. Is it the right typefor a '95 model? I have seen the reprogramming instructons on clublexus.com for an ES300-will the same work on my 1995 LS400? And how do I put in a fresh battery-there is no obvious place for it o go (and no marks on the fob anywhere to indicate where it should go)?

LexusRemoteFobII-1.jpg

And the radio is excellent as the sound clarity is better than EVERY standard car set up I have played. I'am sure that it can be improved with amps and speakers, so will leave it in place. And thanks Manc for the iPod suggestion, although with the 6 CD changer being in the glovebox (as oppossed to being in the boot as was the case in all my other cars) means they can be changed easily, and I just HATE trailing wires).

And it has just occurred to me, that out of the 30 odd cars I have owned or run as company cars, not one has been Japanse (but I have owned 60 or so Japanese motor bikes).

Welcome to the world of Lexus.

Looking at your key , it lloks like the "valet" key that I have for my MKIV DHP. I have two keys with three buttons , 1 says lock 2 unlock and 3 has a symbol for the boot. The valet key has no buttons but will open thwe doors and start the engine, it is so that when you pull up at a hotel, you iopen the boot via the switch inside the car so he can take the suitcases out, you give him the valet key so he can park it, but it won't let him into the boot or the glove box so you can store valuables in either ot both places.

It has a chip in it to enable the vehicle to be driven for parking but has to be locked via the key in the door.

I don't know whether the earlier series have these keys as well, maybe we should have a thread running where we all send in pictures of our key sets.

Then Mr Moderator can possibly make up an article and put it in the Pinned section for new/potential LS400 owners so thew can see if they have a full set when thy buy a vehicle.

I have started by attaching a pic of my keys, the valet key being the one at the bottom of the photo

Regards

Chris.

post-19039-1249988428.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I rang the nearest Lexus dealer to me today to enquire about buying a remote, as my attempts to get one second hand has proved fruitless and frustrating.

I was told the price, and before I could order one, they needed to see the V5 and my driving licence (seems a good security thing to me), and so I paid Ipswich Lexus a visit.

They took my details and the parts bloke disappeared for a couple of minutes, then came back with the parts manager. He was concerned that the remote i wanted to order was not suitable for my car (despite seeing it on the Lexus parts computer. He then insisted on seeing the car before he would do so.

On inspection he saw the bracket for the alarm horn and checked it all through. It appears that there was an alarm fitted but this has been removed, including the wiring (there is a hole in the inner wing where the wires would have fed (which is just what simontaylor said in this very thread). So, it would appear that the car had a Scorpion alarm fiited by the dealer before delivery, and this alarm has been removed at sometime. And he told me what excellent condition my car was in, which was good to hear.

However, when I tried to program the fob I had, I went through all the procedures (key in, lock and unlock doors five times and so on). At one stage (switching the ignoition on and off I think) the car made a loud beep noise. It also has the volume control at the bottom of the dash.

So where do I go from here? Do I just have another alarm fitted that has a remote to lock and lock the doors, or do I risk buying a Lexus remote, in view of the paragraph above this one? I popped into a local audio/alarm fitter who quoted me £250 to fit a basic alarm!!!!!!! Make the Lexus fob from the dealer look cheap!

EDIT Had a ring around today and found a fitter who will fit the car with remote locking for less than a Lexus remote from the dealer. Hopefully be all sorted on Tuesday.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links