Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Annual Costs

Hi, I'm a newbie to this forum and to Lexus for that matter.

I am interested in buying IS200, I absolutely love this car for its classy looks and overall package. The problem is that I am very tight on money as I'm just finishing uni. So I was looking at '99-'01 models available preferably in SE trim they tend to have 110-140k on the clock.

Because of my very limited budget I am really concerned with the running costs of this beauty. Especially at the beginning because after couple of months I should be able to afford it easily.

What sort of annual costs are involved on owning and running this car?

I know that it is a thirsty beast, is 30 MPG combined achievable with normal day to day driving? by normal I mean dynamic driving without pushing it.

How much on average annual servicing costs? I read posts saying that it really varies between dealers but what if i was to use independent garage. is really half the cost?

What are the parts that need changing at this mileage? Timing belt every 60k, anything else?

I hope i didn't bore you too much with questions :P and that somebody would be willing to share the knowledge

Thanx

get an insurance quote first to check that's ok, fuel cost is more than you think for a 2.0l as it's a straight 6 and it's tempting to be above 4200 revs upto 6000ish as it goes very well then but kills mpg, lexus service on the mileage you are looking at is a waste of money, but go with independent or service yourself, it's the timing belt that is costly and changing all the oils,

I avarage 25mpg and thats with a heavy right foot, but in all honesty don't notice too much impovement in that when I try and drive sensible.

I picked up a 99 plate for 3.5k at xmas, with 56k on the clock. Watch out for exhaust blowing, tyres and timing belt/water pump.

As these are all things that have been costing me cash at the min.

There are defo ways to run an IS200 on a budget, but its hard work LOL

James

I think 30mpg is a little optimistic as an average unless you do a lot of motorway cruising.........otherwise though the IS200 is pretty bulletproof and a well maintained one doesn't require much by way of additional costs - mine's 7 years old now and it hasn't yet cost me any more than regular maintenance.

as above mate, all mine has cost me in the last year is the modding bug that has hit!! i'm lucky as servicing doesn't cost me nothing and i do my oil and filter change between 3500-5000 miles.but thats just me.

if fuel costs worrie you the is200 is the wrong car for you.but fuel costs aside it is one amazing and reliable car that still looks fresh today.

Thanks for all replies

Have anybody gone independent for a full service, what sort of costs are involved, again i realise it depends but just give me rough idea.

I wanted to have a cost to compare to any other [boring] car i could buy for the similar money. Coz this old cars are bound to brake every now and then.. some even more often which adds up to the ownership costs. The fuel cost puts me off a bit but then with car's reliabilty it might break even.

Is there a noticable difference in driving the Sport model over the SE trim? Does the LSD make a huge difference?

@Rory

good tip. I read somewhere on this web the Stereo with a CD slot at the top is the newer one right?

cheers :)

i have only ever driven my sport, so try both yourself to check, i like the tinted rear windows on mine and lsd and lower suspension and sport front grill, sports seem to command a bit more money so it's important to know for sure what spec you prefer as a few s/se owners spend a bit more money tinting windows and lowering etc later on . See my photos in my gallery/profile. For an idea of how sports look

Never driven a Sport, but I doubt there's a noticeable difference in everyday driving as I'd expect the traction control would cut in before the LSD would have a chance to do anything.

On the track though with the TRC off, I'm sure it will have a benefit :)

You have to think of the IS200 sport, or any Lexus as a prestige/executive motor. You buy them you got to expect that something might not be your cup of tea. For me, I don't mind the petrol consumption. Also you can squeeze a wee bit more out of getting geometry done and fitting a K&N air filter. It's a drivers car, and, you get a load of extras for your money, and, dare I say it one of the most reliable cars on the road. I recommend it highly.

Col.. :winky:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links