Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gutted

On friday night i was out with my mate just driving round and then next thing there was a massive bang and the car swerved off onto the opposite side of the road

When i looked to see what had happened i found that my bottom ball joint had popped out and the wheel was hanging off! This has done some damage to my wing

In a way i was lucky tho and things could have been alot worse, if i was doing the speed limit (40) and not 35mph i prob would have written it off, If it had happened 5meters before or after then i would of wrapped it up into a lampost, if i had gone left and not right i would of ended up in the river taff and 2 mins later i would of ploughed straight into the front of an oncoming police car that was flying the opposite way!

Just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem and the recovery guy says hes had loads of IS200s do the same thing?

Blimey, sounds like a really lucky escape there given the other possible scenarios! Glad no one was hurt and in the grand scheme of things the damage was quite minor.......

I know the IS has some sort of problem with ball joints (I remember mine being replaced quite early under warranty) but never actually heard of one come apart like that, must have been really scary!

On friday night i was out with my mate just driving round and then next thing there was a massive bang and the car swerved off onto the opposite side of the road

When i looked to see what had happened i found that my bottom ball joint had popped out and the wheel was hanging off! This has done some damage to my wing

In a way i was lucky tho and things could have been alot worse, if i was doing the speed limit (40) and not 35mph i prob would have written it off, If it had happened 5meters before or after then i would of wrapped it up into a lampost, if i had gone left and not right i would of ended up in the river taff and 2 mins later i would of ploughed straight into the front of an oncoming police car that was flying the opposite way!

Just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem and the recovery guy says hes had loads of IS200s do the same thing?

Glad you guys are safe at least. Scary thing to happen :S

I've been hearing alot of issues with this with the IS300 (in Canada/US). How old is this IS200? I just purchased a new set of ball joints just as a precaution since I'm sitting at 160,000 km (2002 IS300). Others should probably do the same!

Scared the crap out of me if im honest! It sounded as though the tyre had been ripped completely off the rim, thats the only way i can describe it! And then just went straight across the road instantly. i was lucky i managed to control it and didnt panic. It was only after that we realised how bad things could of been

I do recommend people get new bottom ball joints as i wouldnt wish this on anyway. I was lucky it was late and there wasnt much traffic on the road

I only had my MOT done 3 weeks ago mate!

Surely this should have been picked up??

Possibly if they picked it up on Rory's car, might be worth investigating whether it's something that should have been checked and reporting the MOT station if it should have been done. Potentially they declared a car roadworthy that potentially could have had a very serious accident :shutit:

I only had my MOT done 3 weeks ago mate!

Surely this should have been picked up??

yes this should have been picked up!!!!!!go right back you have 3 months to complain(you might get it fixed for free)go back to the garage kick up a stink if you dont like were your getting just tell them your getting vosa involved!!!!!

to check a ball joint you jack the car up put your hands at quater to three position on the road wheel and shake from side to side if you feel play they are prob worn.

My car has the mysterious wobble about 50 that I know a few other people have had, could this be caused by the ball joint being worn but not badly enough to fail an MOT, it past 2 months ago, but has been doing the wobble for 6 months or so.

Sorry to here about the car mate, how you get it fixed up and back on the road asap.

Gareth

I know the IS has some sort of problem with ball joints (I remember mine being replaced quite early under warranty) but never actually heard of one come

Same here, done under warranty at 30K. Was quite shocked as I'd only bought the car off Lexus 5 months prior (and they tried to wriggle out of warranty :tsktsk: )

mine failed mot last week on lower ball joints as i had play in mine esp around corners . had both sides replaced as a matter of course. i would go back when they really busy and have a fit as they should have checked it .

if you get no joy from them dont tell them you are going to complain to vosa .

glad to know that you ok mate as it could have been worse

Right i went back to the garage to complain and he basically told me where to stick it! He said he was happy for me to go to vosa or whoever i wanted to as he has nothing to worry about!

He said he done me a "favour" by passing it when it had play in the ball joints to which i replied "i cam for an MOT and not a favour! I do not know you to ask you for a favour"

I also asked around friends who have friends in the right places and apparently he is completely within his right to tell me to ***** off! As soon as the car is away from the MOT station it is no longer thier responsibility :tsktsk: :tsktsk:

Right i went back to the garage to complain and he basically told me where to stick it! He said he was happy for me to go to vosa or whoever i wanted to as he has nothing to worry about!

He said he done me a "favour" by passing it when it had play in the ball joints to which i replied "i cam for an MOT and not a favour! I do not know you to ask you for a favour"

I also asked around friends who have friends in the right places and apparently he is completely within his right to tell me to ***** off! As soon as the car is away from the MOT station it is no longer thier responsibility :tsktsk: :tsktsk:

that is a lot of crap!!!!!!!!do you know if i pass your car and the rear spring goes through the floor 7 months after i,ve passed it you have a come back!!!!!

as follows......bulbs wipers etc no come back

mechanical items ie ball joints.....3 MONTHS (on testable items)

major corrosion 1 year!

how i know this............... I'M A MOT TESTER..........one of the boys i used to work with missed a top ball joint on a 4x4 and we had to fix it that was just under the 3months!!!

how many miles have you done since the mot?go back to the garage and ask for the vosa complaints form!!!

Ive done about 1500 miles mate

I was just stating what i have been told so its nothin against you or your knowledge mate

He also put it down as an advisory when i checked after going back but surely if there was that much play in it he should of failed it. again i dont know the answers so any help would be much appreciated

their you go mate here's proof you have a come back.

What to do if you think your car has passed incorrectly

These cases usually relate to recently bought vehicles and you should let VOSA know as soon as possible.

Subject to acceptance of the complaint, VOSA will offer an appointment within five working days to recheck your vehicle without charge, provided:

no more than three months has passed since the MOT test for a corrosion related problem

no more than 28 days has passed with other defects

The address of your local VOSA office is displayed in the MOT test station or can be obtained from VOSA on 0300 123 9000.

VOSA provide this service as a means of monitoring the MOT Scheme and road safety standards. VOSA can’t seek redress or compensation on your behalf – although it’s open to you to take action in conjunction with your local Trading Standards department, take out proceedings personally, or refer the matter to the Police.

VOSA will supply you with the inspection report listing any vehicle defects and advisory items following the check of the vehicle. Any subsequent action that VOSA may decide to take against the testing station that tested your vehicle will be at VOSA’s discretion and should have no bearing on any action you may decide to take.

hope that helps mate??

Cheers mate but as far as i understand from that VOSA will do nothin for me but my penalise the testing station

Does it matter that he out it down as an advisory?

How do i go about getting the garage to compensate for my damages?

trading standards will help you on this one also if the garage know they will be getting investigated by vosa they might change their tune and sort your car.

doing mot's is very important to garages(100% profit and something everyone needs) vosa could take their licence off them which could make their life very hard

as they will loose a lot of money.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links