Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Has My Power Steering Gone U/s?

30%lessSugar

Today I noticed that there was something leaking from the underside of my IS200 SE near the front where the radiator is, I inspected it and it was a browny/orange colour. Upon starting the car and driving it I found that my power steering had completely gone and the steering was really stiff. I stopped again and looked at the power steering fluid tank and it was completely empty, I then followed the tubes which carry it away/to the tank and found that where the tube passes underneath the radiator fluid had leaked hence the leaking I saw earlier on. I can't think of any reason for this suddenly happening, I have not hit anything or driven recklessly or anything, it is most puzzling. What I want to know (and I'm not sure I want to know the answer to this one!) is : has my power steering completely gone or is it fixable, i.e. does the tube need replacing or can I just replace the fluid. Thanks in advance for any help.

Do you mean the rigid pipe that lies along the chassis? Some pictures would be handy to look at. It's possible that this rigid pipe has fractured through vibration or the clamp being installed too tight or incorrectly.

If so i see no reason why the pipe cannot be replaced then your steering fluid replenished. It's one of the easiest systems to replenish because it's self bleeding. Just top up the fluid, start the engine, turn the steering wheel full lock left and right a few times. Switch off the engine then top up the fluid to the mark. Easy.

But be aware that power steering fluid is caustic and will strip any paint from the inside of your engine bay if it's not cleaned off thoroughly.

Hope this helps and i've actually understood the problem you're describing.

Thanks for your response

Yes the leak looks to be coming from the rigid pipe which runs along the bottom of the radiator bay, so that is quite easily replaceable is it? Do you know where I can get a new one and how I go about replacing it, thanks.

Try your local dealer or a motor factors for the part, sorry but i have no idea how much the pipe will cost.

Replacing it shouldn't be too much of an issue, it looks to be a straight in and out job. If you remove the grill you should be able to get to one end of of the pipe where it goes into a flexi pipe which leads to the cooler in front of the radiator and obviously the other end is below the power steering reservoir. It is secured to the chassis by a couple of metal clamps, and hose clamps where it meets the flexi pipes. Seeing how all your fluid has leaked out anyway you shouldn't have to worry about draining the system. And i've explained how to replenish in my previous post.

Hope this helps.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links