Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Afternoon chaps

Finances dictate that I have now dispelled any idea of getting an LS430 as they are still highly priced (too me anyway).

My options are to sell my '97 and buy a '98 on LS400 in a year, or just keep my '97 off road for a year.

This is purely coz I need to use the Renault thats on HP until I can hand it back, so obviously I want to use it as much as possible to ensure its got a low auction value for them :)

I originally said I wouldnt get the 1998 model LS400 as its too similar to mine ( the best looking model :) ) but with a gloopy front end :(

So given that my car will still lose value in the drive should I sell it now, and get the vtec version next year, or sit on my one. I admit a full DHP, vtec, 5 speed box, and standard satnav are tempting, but on the other hand its only another 20 bhp.

I more convinced Im Lex for life, but I dont want to put money into my '97, if it makes more sense to wait for a year and get the '98. If I didnt have the Renault, I would keep the '97 no question, but I do so here we are.

So come on, whose had both and was it worth the change?

Hi, How about keeps the 97 for a year (it shouldnt lose to much and the year and what you saved on mileage will help) and..... look at LS 430 prices again then . That gives you a long term option.

Im selling my 95 early next year and planning on a Ls430 so its not to long to wait.

cheers steve.

Initially I tend to agree with Floggit,

but personally, I have a 1995 series III and I just bought another..... 1995 series III because they are such good value.

Once a Lexus driver ....... Always a Luxus driver!!!

Initially I tend to agree with Floggit,

but personally, I have a 1995 series III and I just bought another..... 1995 series III because they are such good value.

Once a Lexus driver ....... Always a Luxus driver!!!

Yeah but I reckon the vtec LS400 would also be great value.

Common chaps someone must be able to tell me is it worth selling a 97 model to get a 98, or not?

I have a 2000 with the DHP.

If I had my chance again then I would rather not have the DHP. It makes for a choppy ride on B roads and the handling isn't that much better. These cars just don't want to be thrown into corners, they are cruisers. :sleeping:

The tyres for the 17" wheels are ridiculously expensive. :o

The Sat Nav is awkward to use and the directions it gives are quite often very suspect. It can't be programmed while the car is in Drive so your passenger can't even use it while you are driving.

The fuel enonomy is about the same as my 95 LS was, I average about 25 MPG.

Having said all that, it might only have 20 BHP more but you can tell the difference when you stamp on the loud pedal. :devil:

Personally, if my 95 LS had not lurched every time the AC compressor kicked in then I would have had another MKIII, that was the thing that annoyed me most about my 95. The MKIV is silky smooth AC on or off.

Just my view.

Redsteve.

I have a 2000 with the DHP.

If I had my chance again then I would rather not have the DHP. It makes for a choppy ride on B roads and the handling isn't that much better. These cars just don't want to be thrown into corners, they are cruisers. :sleeping:

The tyres for the 17" wheels are ridiculously expensive. :o

The Sat Nav is awkward to use and the directions it gives are quite often very suspect. It can't be programmed while the car is in Drive so your passenger can't even use it while you are driving.

The fuel enonomy is about the same as my 95 LS was, I average about 25 MPG.

Having said all that, it might only have 20 BHP more but you can tell the difference when you stamp on the loud pedal. :devil:

Personally, if my 95 LS had not lurched every time the AC compressor kicked in then I would have had another MKIII, that was the thing that annoyed me most about my 95. The MKIV is silky smooth AC on or off.

Just my view.

Redsteve.

Is yours a LS400 or a LS430? I assume its one of the last LS400's. My '97 has the DHP wheels alreadywith 45 profile tyres due to the cost of the right profile ones. The ride is a bit choppy, but I dont mind that at all as I like to drive mine quite hard at times and find it grippy and confidence inspiring. I do get annoyed by the cars motion making my head sway left and right tho!

I probably will sll mine, as when all is said and done the 98+ is more economical, more kit, more power, more performance, more, more, more, more more .......... and I do so love having more of everything !!!!

Seriously though my '97 is at 163k and although full history has had an indifferent owner(s) who haven't provided TLC. If I wanted beasty to be mint it would cost me more than upgrading to a pampered vehicle and lets not forget the more, more, more :)

I woudlnt out of principle get the same model as one I've had before.

I changed from a 95 ser 3 to a 98 Ser 4. As much for the added safety of traction Control. The extra power is nice too, plus the Sat-nav, basic, now, though it may be. I think the Ser 4 is the epitome of the LS, before it started getting a bit more 'BM...."

though I'm now thinking of selling, but only cos I rarely use it and am economising. Not for less than £4K though!

• 2 weeks later...

Ah the deed is done I sold my 97 on a well known aution site, and its gone off to its new owner whose replacing his 250k Ls400. Didnt expect a lot and I wasnt suprised :)

So to summarise my time LS400....

LIKED: Good MPG, overall build quality, bulletproof feeling of the entire car, the exterior styling of my particular one, leather quality, admiring looks from others, grippy chassis on my 17's.

DISLIKED: Handling waaaaay too soft, including lack of steering precision, engine neither torquey nor fast enough, gearbox slow witted even in ECT

OVERALL:Positive, but I always moaned about the lack of power and handling, so I guess its not the right car for me long term, unless all of that changed. The car and primarily the engine/gearbox combo just feels well ...... old, but thats why VTEC, LS430, LS460 comes in eh!

Its been a good time, but when I get another beast I will probably be returning to the MB S fold, sure the LS430 addresses most of my dislikes, but the looks man ..... the looks. I just dont like it.

Of course when the LS460 is good and cheap I'll be back.

So long and thanks for all the fish

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links