Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Reverse Camera Not Working! :(

allot

I got my Kenwood ddx 8220bt double din unit installed over the weekend and along with it installed a reverse camera (similar to one of these on eBay = 360173030536) but it will not work.

Here are the connections that i have made:

1. Wire coming from Kenwood unit to the red and black wire on the passenger footwell (same as the bottom picture on this thread http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/lof...hp/t60943.html)

2. Yellow video wire coming from camera to Kenwood unit.

3. Red power wire coming from camera to reverse light wire ( there two wires going to the reverse light, both were tested)

4. The black ground wire to a metal vehicle surface.

After all this and trying time and time again with putting both the gear in reverse and switching to the Video outputs in the Kenwood unit - None have worked for me. :( :( :( :(

I will really really really appreciate any help or advice on this!!!! I can give you any further information if required.

Thanks Guys!!

if you give the camera a direct power feed of 12v

does it work then ?

Hi Ibby - appreciate the prompt reply! That didnt work also - ive got a sub wire coming to the rear of the car and tried to connect the power wire to that and nothing :(

if you give the camera a direct power feed of 12v

does it work then ?

Hi Ibby - appreciate the prompt reply! That didnt work also - ive got a sub wire coming to the rear of the car and tried to connect the power wire to that and nothing :(

Then its broken :lol:

I would look at the vid feed and configuration of the kenwood

I got my Kenwood ddx 8220bt double din unit installed over the weekend and along with it installed a reverse camera (similar to one of these on ebay = 360173030536) but it will not work.

Here are the connections that i have made:

1. Wire coming from Kenwood unit to the red and black wire on the passenger footwell (same as the bottom picture on this thread http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/lof...hp/t60943.html)

2. Yellow video wire coming from camera to Kenwood unit.

3. Red power wire coming from camera to reverse light wire ( there two wires going to the reverse light, both were tested)

4. The black ground wire to a metal vehicle surface.

After all this and trying time and time again with putting both the gear in reverse and switching to the Video outputs in the Kenwood unit - None have worked for me. :( :( :( :(

I will really really really appreciate any help or advice on this!!!! I can give you any further information if required.

Thanks Guys!!

The red wire wants to go to a ign 12v wire as far as i can tell. it doesnt need to go to the rear light thats where the wire from the kenwood wants to go. but youve connected that in the footwell.

Have you checked the fuse in the power lead to the camera?

Also does the stereo have a straight video in?

the camera should be on all the time the cars on so if you plug it into a normal video in it should work.

just to check the camera

The red wire wants to go to a ign 12v wire as far as i can tell. it doesnt need to go to the rear light thats where the wire from the kenwood wants to go. but youve connected that in the footwell.

Have you checked the fuse in the power lead to the camera?

Also does the stereo have a straight video in?

the camera should be on all the time the cars on so if you plug it into a normal video in it should work.

just to check the camera

Thanks for your advise sparkystav - really appreciate it - i need this working for the good of man kind!! :)

I used the info from this thread (http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t60943.html) and the info on the instructions for the camera to get this setup.

Answers to your questions:

- Have you checked the fuse in the power lead to the camera? This is all in tact and is not burned out

- Also does the stereo have a straight video in? The stereo has a dedicated reverse camera Yellow Video input

Questions for you:

- The reverse wire from the Kenwood is attached to the red and black wire in the passenger footwell - This is the same wire that goes to the rear lights, would it make a difference if i connected it to the rear?

- Where is the ignition wire in the rear of the car?

It would be great if you could summarize the whole connection setup.

Thanks alot mate!

Right this is how i understand it.

the black wire from the camera to the chassis (earth)

the red wire from the camera to a switched (ignition) live (you can use the red and black wire on the reverse light i suppose, as that come live when you select reverse)

the wire from the kenwood to connector 2g wire 2 in this diagram in the passenger footwell http://www.bahamutcars.com/workshop/IS_98-...ay.html?page=90

the last wire is provided it want a 12v signal not an earth signal? have you checked that?

and what i meant about the video input was is there another that doesnt rely on the reverse signal. just to test the camera.

use an ign live like the remote switch from your HU to the amp and ground to the same point as your amp.

to test, put a multimeter across thgis when the HU is on to ensure your camera is getting a live feed.

if you press and hold the nav button it will switch to the camera input.

if it works then the fault is at the reverse switch in the footwell, it may be a bad connection which is possible if using scotchlocks (this happened to me too!!)

if it doesnt then the camera is possibly faulty..

where in london are you as im there tomorrow..

@monster mat:nice HU >>Kenwood DNX5240bt..

Right this is how i understand it.

the black wire from the camera to the chassis (earth)

the red wire from the camera to a switched (ignition) live (you can use the red and black wire on the reverse light i suppose, as that come live when you select reverse)

the wire from the kenwood to connector 2g wire 2 in this diagram in the passenger footwell http://www.bahamutcars.com/workshop/IS_98-...ay.html?page=90

the last wire is provided it want a 12v signal not an earth signal? have you checked that?

and what i meant about the video input was is there another that doesnt rely on the reverse signal. just to test the camera.

thats perfect - thanks, i will try that. The only thing i didnt get was this line (also the link didnt work for me):

use an ign live like the remote switch from your HU to the amp and ground to the same point as your amp.

to test, put a multimeter across thgis when the HU is on to ensure your camera is getting a live feed.

if it works then the fault is at the reverse switch in the footwell, it may be a bad connection which is possible if using scotchlocks (this happened to me too!!)

Excellent thanks for your help mate. Ive removed the amp now but the wiring is still there so i can connect the power lead from the camera to the remote wire on the audio connectors going to the amp. I don't have a multimeter to test the electrical connections as of yet.

The desired end result i'm hoping for is to get the camera switched on whenever i switch to reverse gear. Having to press the nav button for a sec is still brilliant, but would really prefer the automatic switch over.

So in summary what would be the complete wiring you would suggest for this? I would really appreciate a dumb proof list of connections!

Im in Harrow in North West London....Would you be able to get there, i will be working until around 7 though, is that when your around? If so, send me a PM for details

Thanks again !

Excellent thanks for your help mate. Ive removed the amp now but the wiring is still there so i can connect the power lead from the camera to the remote wire on the audio connectors going to the amp. I don't have a multimeter to test the electrical connections as of yet.

The desired end result i'm hoping for is to get the camera switched on whenever i switch to reverse gear. Having to press the nav button for a sec is still brilliant, but would really prefer the automatic switch over.

So in summary what would be the complete wiring you would suggest for this? I would really appreciate a dumb proof list of connections!

Im in Harrow in North West London....Would you be able to get there, i will be working until around 7 though, is that when your around? If so, send me a PM for details

Thanks again !

you may be in luck mate..

im prob in harrow tomorrow evening..

i will pm you my number so you can all me when you finish work..

Thanks again !

you may be in luck mate..

im prob in harrow tomorrow evening..

i will pm you my number so you can all me when you finish work..

Cheers - ive just replied with mine!

Thats just showing you the actual wire in the footwell you need to connect to.

I think it will switch over, pressing the nav button is just a bypass i think to test it.

if youve got an ign live in the boot from the amp connect to that rather than the rear light with the red wire from the camera.

I think it will switch over, pressing the nav button is just a bypass i think to test it.

if youve got an ign live in the boot from the amp connect to that rather than the rear light with the red wire from the camera.

Thanks sparkystav - I'll be sure to give that a try..!

• 3 months later...

Still no luck with this :( :(

I have bought a new reverse camera kit and still no image on my kenwood. This leads me to believe the first camera kit was fine and its down to the installation.

I cant see whats wrong with it though, ive tried all the combinations mentioned here and on the reverse camera booklets.....what could it be??

Please help!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links