Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gas Struts Fitted...

jomo

As today is my birthday my lovely misses bought me a set of bonnet gas struts for the Lex, so off to the garage i went to fit my new toys.

What a ball-ache it turned out to be, had to swap the front brackets to give the gas strut some extra clearance over the ABS breaking system, but then the nut holding the gas strut to the top bracket catches the back of the ABS!

So when i open the bonnet there's a slight catchy noise as the nut rubs!

Also had the pack oiut the drivers front bracket to stop it spining when you close the bonnet due to it not fitting flush to the wing!!

Hay ho!

Will post photos when i get a chance...

As today is my birthday my lovely misses bought me a set of bonnet gas struts for the Lex, so off to the garage i went to fit my new toys.

What a ball-ache it turned out to be, had to swap the front brackets to give the gas strut some extra clearance over the ABS breaking system, but then the nut holding the gas strut to the top bracket catches the back of the ABS!

Also had the pack oiut the drivers front bracket to stop it spining when you close the bonnet due to it not fitting flush to the wing!!

Hay ho!

i would take pics mate i'll see if i can help sounds like you have done something wrong??????.....when i was at the mini meet me and micro fitted the ones i bought off him and they fitted perfect no catching no rubbing and the bonnet sits higher when opened than with the bonnet stay

Hay ho!

i would take pics mate i'll see if i can help sounds like you have done something wrong??????.....when i was at the mini meet me and micro fitted the ones i bought off him and they fitted perfect no catching no rubbing and the bonnet sits higher when opened than with the bonnet stay

Lol that was a good laugh like.

Many times did we move them?lol

Ok photo time,

This is where it catches the asb system

03.JPG

04.JPG

Dirvers side hinge,

07.JPG

02.JPG

Drivers side front bracket, blue packer to stop it twisting when closing bonnet!

01.JPG

Passanger side top and bottom,

05.JPG

06.JPG

Hope the photos help you shedding some light on my probs lads........

right matey you've got the bottom half of the fitting all asz for tat.your left lower mount should be over on your right side thats why your lower mounts are twisting also looks like you have got your rams on upside down.

p0809091836.jpg

p080909183702.jpg

p080909183701.jpg

as for the clicking noise your hearing thats the strut bolt hitting off the cross head screw on the abs unit how to solve.....slacken the top bolt(furthest away from the windscreen) on the strut mounting bracket(bit thats on the hinge) and tap outwards(hammer or like)then retighten the bolt job done.

Ive got the rams same way as Jomo with no issues.

are your lower mounts the same way?have you got a pic of yours.??

edit just looked at a few pics on the net theirs just as many people mounted the struts my way as your way but all of them have got the lower mounting the same as mine(stops the twisting and means you can take the packer out. try loosning the bolt as i said and give it a tap to move it accross then tighten the bolt.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links