Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

As Steve said, they do exactly what they say on the tin in that they can run when flat..........

But run-flats also have a reputation for being noisy and giving a poor ride and roadholding because of the stiff side walls. I think the latest ones may have been improved, but I would still be wary.

Neither should you assume that a punctured run-flat will necessarily be repairable and re-usable. My understanding is that most tyre places will not repair a run-flat because they cannot be sure whether the side wall is damaged.

As Steve said, they do exactly what they say on the tin in that they can run when flat..........

But run-flats also have a reputation for being noisy and giving a poor ride and roadholding because of the stiff side walls. I think the latest ones may have been improved, but I would still be wary.

Neither should you assume that a punctured run-flat will necessarily be repairable and re-usable. My understanding is that most tyre places will not repair a run-flat because they cannot be sure whether the side wall is damaged.

I had runflats on my last car - bmw120d and they were as stated - noisy and seemed susceptible to punctures or maybe I was just unlucky - had three in the space of a year and a new tyre each time at £110 a pop. Any decent tyre place will recommend no repair although back street guys will do it. Once you have run them flat the side wall loses strength so a bit risky and stupid idea really - just to save space and weight in boot but not worth it .

When you get puncture on RFT you really can't tell at all. They are that good, but because of that you MUST have a sensor/monitor.

I changed my Bimmer from RFT to non RFT and the difference was immediate. With the RFT my DSC light would light up at least once on every journey telling my that tractoon was lost when I tried to pull away, even more in rain. Now hardly.

Better handling, better grip, especially in the wet, less road noise by at least 25% (and the bimmer had already much quieter road noise then Lexus).

Ride quality has improved - it is amazing now, the jiggly M Sport set up has gone, and the car rides like a proper exec car should.

I think if you live in the stix, or do lots of A road driving there are benefits of RFT. If garages are miles away. but for general Joe Public, stick with non RFT's. They cost half as much and have few disadvantages (other then obvious one of not being able to driving with a flat tyre).

So I think you have to avoid it.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links